Game much harder than previous

They really stepped up the difficulty. Usually with Empire modes I just breeze through and beat all the main officers and complete a scenario very quickly. This time through, you have to actually wait for them to come out by taking over bases and whatnot, and the enemy officers keep respawning until you do. You also die a lot quicker. I found myself stepping up to ruler (after failing and having to level 6 levels and try again) to actually giving up! I stepped down from ruler because it was too much for me. I started my first battle and they instantly burned down 2 out of my 3 bases. I was at their camp, had to run back to my main one and got slaughtered.

Anyone notice the severe changes ?

LuBu is yet again overpowered with a different weapon. I just fought him and right when he was almost dead he jumped and and killed me with one hit. I had almost half my life still :( Take in mind I am playing on easy and the first scenario is taking me forever. I guess I'll just have to avoid him!

The third time playing that same exact level, he was much easier. He wasnt glowing this time and took little time to kill. He even showed up again while I was fighting the commander of the level, and I knew he showed up but was busy hacking away at my current target. It then said I beat him. He got too close I guess! Must be adaptive difficulty or something.

Edited by Tyger7
Beat LuBu

• 2 weeks later...

You said you are using a custom character? If you are new to the game genre, go with Lu Bu style, or just the character Lu Bu, since he is, as always, overpowered. It should give you a little bit of an edge sometimes. Also, is your difficulty set to Normal/Hard instead of Easy?

It's actually easier then you think when you first start out. Curious how? Let me explain. First off, you'll have to be a ruler. Why? You need the ability to order your troops.

As a ruler in the beginning levels of your character, what you'll want to do is the second you start the game, pause the game and go into orders. For every general you have on your side, go to order, then order them to protect you. Once you do this, all generals on your side will stop what they're doing and run to you and just chill. Give it a minute, and you'll have the generals as well as their lieutenants standing around you. After they are all gathered, start what I call the death march. AKA, start running over bases. You'll overwhelm your enemies with sheer numbers.

Hope that tip helps for all you new players. I'll make this a new post for new players to see it easier

i dunno if its just me, but i cant take over multiple territories with one battle anymore. u used to be able to take over the area where the ruler was and u got all of what they own. is there a way to do it on this game or have they stopped that?

How do I become a ruler after a being an officer?

step down in the events section, move to the territory you want to start your take over in (I always go with the capital, Luo Yang I believe is the name. It is the only one I'm aware of that has all of the facilities in it) and then you go for it. Be careful though, they're usually very strong.

depends on your play style. Explained a bit more at the bottom

Here are some general tips to get you started:

some suggest saving towards red hare, I actually find that training is a bit more important. Once you get the 10 second run boost thing, you'll be able to go all over the map fairly quickly anyway, plus you'll actually have health/attack/musou from it.

Jump works wonders. If you are in a map that is loaded in bases on top of hills, if you're at the base of said hill and the pathway up is on the other side, try and jump against the wall, if it looks like you got up a little bit and started falling, you can "climb" it. Just repeatedly jump towards it and look for a low fence to jump over. Can't climb directly into the camps, but can get close to the entrances.

once you do get a horse and you can use the jump ability to get by quicker, but you "lose" the horse, just hit the back button on the controller when you get to the top and you'll hear your character whistle. the dot representing the horse on your mini map should start moving towards you. I've hit it again when it was far away and he'd basically teleport to within a few feet of my character.

As far as characters that work well, it really depends. I really like Meng Huo when he has the weapon upgraded/training as he can clear a base in no time flat. But earlier his low speed (edit: weapon swinging speed) is a large handicap. I tend to start off with a created officer. I originally used Liu Bei's weapon, but have since swapped to Cao Pi. Sun Shang Xiang appears to be pretty strong once fully upgraded as well.

Start off the first campaign on easy mode. Use this to build up weapons and get red hare. Levels and the like don't carry over, but it can be pretty hard to start the game on the higher difficulties with weak weapons. Not impossible, but not easy by any stretch.

If you go with the Cao Pi weapon route, I highly recommend three of the Effects from the weapon upgrade menu: phantom hand, arrow sight, and flash. I also use Ice Seal and True Musou. But the first three are very beneficial in clearing bases as quickly as possible. Just like weapon levels, Specials and Effects carry over when loading from saves.

Steal isn't a bad Special to have when you're starting out as it'll help you build money up quicker especially when used in a larger base like the supply or main camps. But regardless of which special you go with, don't be afraid to use them when things are getting rough.

Those are the only things I can think of at the moment, but if you have any specific issues, I'll try to answer.

Edit: I actually thought of another. If you're having a hard time, start the A Land in Chaos campaign and use the character you prefer as a ruler and pick 3 officers. I started off with going for cards that combine well so I picked Xiao Qiao (sp?) for the -2 action points requirement on cards requiring 3 or more card, Sun Ce for the greatly increased attack power card, and Sun Shang Xiang (forgetting some of the names of non-major characters from Rot3K, sorry) for the increased troops and the fairly unique weapon. You can pick the base you want, which I suggest Luo Yang (the capital with all facilities in it) and after you've defeated one other area, you'll have two action points. Use Qiao's card and then Ce's card and that'll greatly improve your character in combat. Also, I picked waiting game for the card for my created character and started using it when I'd invade after I got up to 3 action points.

Edited by whelaro