Game much harder than previous

for my first run through the game, I went with the Yellow Turban Rebellion. I joined up with the ruler in Luo Yang as an officer and started doing assignments and mercenary missions that were 25-30 minutes long (the 3 minute ones basically require a horse if you want to do the bonus objectives, which you do).

Actually, that's another thing:

in the assignment missions, look at the conditions screen (may be target, dunno). There will sometimes be a goal worth 1-1.2k rank points and it involves from what I've seen 'protect officer x during the invasion' (basically don't let them get to a point that they withdraw) and 'defeat officer y in 3/5 minutes' (just chase them down and beat them).

in the mercenary missions, there are three bonus targets: one is save an officer from a fight, one is save a merchant/villager from a fight, and the other is hunting down a pack of 3 lieutenants or officers and defeating them.

the bonus rank points you get from these will net you promotions, which increase the number of action points you get per round (up to 2 total) as well as increase the value of you when it comes around each month to net extra money. You also get gold from the targets as well. Also if you create a character like I mentioned earlier, Steal wouldn't be a bad ability to pick up on creation as it'll net you some fair bits of money in the main camps.

I'm still of the camp that training is a bit more important towards winning (could buy the base horse first if you like. They're pretty fast though don't benefit the combat side, but I dismount before combat even with red hare anyway). In the 25-30 minute missions, you're not going to run out of time without the horse.

If you end up going the ruler route, I suggest capturing all the land except one and have the guy whose card is the council card where it prevents your land from being invaded for 3 months (I think it is either Gan Ning or perhaps Sun Quan, I don't remember though. If nothing else, you could just pick it up as your created character's card if you use a created character) and just build up your funds and upgrade everyone's weapons and that includes the effects/specials. The store will swap what it has every month I believe and you just buy the components that you need.

If the next question is which path (officer/ruler) nets the most money, I'd say initially officer does, but if you're going for the other achievements, I highly recommend going the ruler route at the earliest chance. When an officer, you have to forge friendships and oaths with officers that are roaming. If I'm serving Cao Cao and decide I want to knock out a few of the officer achievements, I'm not going to get Xu Huang as a selectable character if he's already serving Cao Cao. If someone like Lu Meng is roaming and you become friends with them, you can. It is a bit more painful, in my opinion, to get it working.

The game, as someone previously mentioned, is built opposite of most where the difficulty is high on the onset, but becomes very, very simple the further you get into a campaign where you can basically have a god character. Use the tail end of the campaign as time to build up to the top horse and maxing/upgrading weapons so that you can use them in the next campaign so it'll be a little easier.

Edited by whelaro