Is 2012 the Best Year in Gaming?

Rapture639

I believe 1985 To around 2000 where the years of gaming ...

These days it's impressive, but doesn't live up to blowing on a cartridge to get it working...or cleaning a tape and even waiting for a tape to load the game

Kids these days would put you in a mental institution if you mentioned "tapes" or "cartridges" as game media!

I completely agree more. I didn't start gaming until 1986 though, but games back then didn't involve being a generic shooter or another sequel. Blowing on a cartidge to make it work still makes me laugh, or waiting for the cassette on my Commodore 64 to load. People who moan at loading times should play a C64 and try that shit out. Would make it even worse if the game crashed after loading. Good times haha.

As for modern gaming, its probably when Timesplitters first came out.

Damn i loved that game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Two-Thousand-And-Three

Socom II

I completely agree more. I didn't start gaming until 1986 though, but games back then didn't involve being a generic shooter or another sequel. Blowing on a cartidge to make it work still makes me laugh, or waiting for the cassette on my Commodore 64 to load. People who moan at loading times should play a C64 and try that shit out. Would make it even worse if the game crashed after loading. Good times haha.

As for modern gaming, its probably when Timesplitters first came out.

Damn i loved that game.

Apple IIe with pirated games on floppy disc (the old 8 inch ones that were actually "floppy" as opposed to the 3.5 inch ones that had hard casing) > C64

Still some of the most horrifically long loading times I ever experienced was with Final Fantasy Tactics on the ps1. Other then the battle sequences every minor movement prompted a 1-3 minute loading screen. The recent re-releases of the game haven't drastically cut down on those times.

Yeah..best year was a year when valve released a game that felt like a shitty CS:S mod with the outdated and ugly source engine. :rolleyes:

I still play CS:S. Other then RtCW it is my second favorite FPS of all time.

I still play CS:S. Other then RtCW it is my second favorite FPS of all time.

I like CS:S, haven't played it in forever but still used to play it quite a bit. I just think Valve is lazy and that the l4d games feel like weak CS:S mods. :D

Have you tried CS:Global Offensive? I was excited at first to see CS come to the console...until I played it. I usually prefer a controller, but that game just feels awful with one...needs mouse/keyboard support.

I like CS:S, haven't played it in forever but still used to play it quite a bit. I just think Valve is lazy and that the l4d games feel like weak CS:S mods. :D

Have you tried CS:Global Offensive? I was excited at first to see CS come to the console...until I played it. I usually prefer a controller, but that game just feels awful with one...needs mouse/keyboard support.

I always get worried when games or game developers come from computer to console. Halo Wars was the big example for me with Ensemble Studios the makers of the Age of Empires series.

Even though it was a good game it just made me sad to see it on the console.

I always get worried when games or game developers come from computer to console. Halo Wars was the big example for me with Ensemble Studios the makers of the Age of Empires series.

I agree. Could you imagine if they ported something like AOE II to console lol...I think I'd die a little inside :biglaugh

2012 being a great year... hrm, for me I would have to say no.

The only games I have bought new this year are Dark Souls and LoTR: War in the North. Both 2011 releases.

I am still dining out on games that I bought new at the back end of 2011. Namely, Batman Arkham City, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Dead Island and MW3. I think that's about it. I also bought Dead Space 2 last year (I think it was 2011 release).

Otherwise, I have contented myself with completing older games like Mafia II.

I have Halo 4 on order, but can't comment about it being great as it has yet to be released. Otherwise I also have Riptide on pre-order and Alien Colonial Marines.

On the strength of that and that fact I haven't actually been driven to buy a 2012 release (which I am actually shocked about, having not given it any thought until writing this) I would say 2011 was a better year. Oh, and it is not because I don't play the Xbox much anymore, I do spend a great deal of time on it.

I agree. Could you imagine if they ported something like AOE II to console lol...I think I'd die a little inside :biglaugh

I would die period. I would have to buy it of course but seriously... It would kill me inside having to do everything with a control and knowing the amount of fun I STILL HAVE popping those bad boys into the PC and having fun with em'.

</3

Despite all the comments, I would have to agree that 2012 is a pretty good year for me. I hope resident evil and AC3 live up the the standards I am expecting. Not to mention Medal of honor which I am extremely excited for. Borderlands just came out and I would honestly have to say I think we have a GOTY title on our hands.

Well if its not the best gaming year for me, it is for sure the most expensive =/

No not really. I'm getting bored with some franchises. It's time for something new.

And I really think I'm fed up with all new announcements coming with term like: innovative, groundbraking, more action packed when we all now goty games are rare.

Don't get me wrong because this sounds so and so, because there where great games this year.

I haven't bothered trying CS:GO...I figure if I'm still having fun playing CS:S (mostly gun game) then why bother trying GO.

Borderlands just came out and I would honestly have to say I think we have a GOTY title on our hands.

I don't really understand the Borderlands hype. I enjoyed the first one but I wouldn't even come close to describing it or the new one as GOTY type games.

As shooters go they are at best average. As RPGs go they are pretty bad. And, unlike so many other gamers, I'm not dumb enough to fall for their "billions of guns!" propaganda (it's really just the same 10-20 guns with random number generators making minor changes to their damage numbers) so I don't even think it is all that great as a loot game.

Really the only thing that makes the Borderlands games great is the multiplayer and unless you have some quality friends to play with you end up getting stuck with loot hogs and assholes making the experience complete trash.

Edited by bigbear.

November 2004

Half Life 2 was unleashed upon the world. Forever altering our collective consciousness.

2001 was the best year in gaming for me. Return to Castle Wolfenstein...oh how I spent way way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time playing that multiplayer.(PC version)

Haven't found a mp game I enjoyed nearly half as much since then.

This year is the same as most recent years for gaming...too many sequels and unoriginal ideas.

Wolf was amazing, absolutely loved it. Have to agree about sequels, lots of fun games but nothing that truly stands out as an advancement. Which is what I would equate as a truly remarkable year.

Edited by Opiate42

like gackt said some games just feel awkward on a controller, they just need that keyboard + mouse.

but i personally thought halo wars did a great job on the controls. you could quickly do several things at once via D-pad shortcuts. which reminded me a lot of the hotkeys you get access to on PC games. when i used to play WarcraftIII on PC all day everyday, thats something i learned to master. if you are good with hotkeys, the game plays so great.

I've seen some fairly good looking games come out this year, but the only release-day game I've bought has been Darksiders 2, and I've already pre-ordered Halo 4.

Probably over my entire life, I *remember* having a lot more fun with the good 'ole N64 and a few Gamecube titles, but that may just be a lot of nostalgia. I had a ton of fun playing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask back on the N64. I also remember renting Harvest Moon: AWL for Gamecube once and spending about 14 hours one day playing that <_<

I'm going with 1998 as the best year.

Baldur's Gate

Fallout 2

Half-Life

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Metal Gear Solid

Resident Evil 2

StarCraft

Unreal

2012 already has some great games though, and we've still got the whole fall season.

Yep, was a good year, the year I first played video games :woop:

Every year the same useless thread...

Based on his sign up date this would be his second year able to tell whether or not the same useless thread has popped up. Generally speaking if one is to consider something "every (blank)" that would constitute a time typically speaking of larger than just two possibly years thus making your argument null and forcing the community to look upon your post as nothing more than a useless post giving its creator an additional tally to their probably many useless posts on these forums.

I wouldn't be able to say for sure until about Sept. 2013

As always all the megatitles are saved for the arse end of the year and I won't be getting all of them when they come out and will be saving them for later days.

And as always 'The best year of...' whatever comes outfitted with rose-tinted glasses where the dross and the fluff of yesteryear is rightfully forgotten while the recent bombs still have their stench floating around.

Enjoyed all 3 titles I've gotten this year and played alot of single player and multiplayer on all 3.

Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2

I'd enjoy TTT2 alot more if it wasn't for the poor ass 360 controller holding it back, but they've something that plays well and looks and sounds fantastic.

Obviously I prefer Tekken 5 because of the better PS2 controller and hours of perfection and familiarity I have with that title.