Inmate not allowed to play DnD

MelangeAddict

Personally... i don't understand why they should get to play DnD.

I mean, i guess this is how i view prison... but it's basically a freaking day care for criminals.

They feed you, give you nap time, recess everyday and hell, they give you a shit load of activities so they don't get bored and kill each other.

Shit...probably just me.

Why are prisoners allowed DnD shouldnt they just have to sit around all day and think about what they've done? To the comic, i didn't get it.....

I think it has to do with the fantasy of a moth the inmate has turning into a giant eagle that can bust him out. Been a long time since I read or watched Lord of the Rings trilogy but I'd guess there is a part in the story something similar happens? The eagle, not the prison break.

The part I love about the story is that an inmate in prison not only plays the game and finds others to play it but was able to write a 96 page campaign.

(Condensed Explanation) In LotR (or possibly Two Towers), Gandalf is trapped on the top of Orthanc. He captures a passing moth, and uses it to send a message for help to Gwaihir (the Eagle), who comes and rescues him.[/nerdage]

I'm in two minds about the news story itself. On the one hand, it's a prison, to be in there you have done bad, so fuck you, you don't get to play games. The guy in the story is in jail for beating a man to death with a sledgehammer. I'm not sure if that's at all relevent, but fuck him, he's a murderer, he's in jail, surely he'd expect to loose his ability to take part in things he likes.

On the other hand, it's fucking DnD. How often is a prisoner going to have access to an Invisibility Potion, or a +3 Shovel of Tunnel-Digging, that makes these particular fantasies of escape any more of an agitation than any other. The idea of a so-called "gang" of guys names Jésús, Butch, Bubba and Killer sitting round a table killing Kobolds and Gnolls just makes me giggle a little.

Are we certain that the part about confiscating Lord of the Rings is actually referring to an element in the story, because I think it is meant as a play on the words, Lord of the Rings as in... well, it doesn't need saying, we are talking about prison remember. I think there is a good chance they chose Lord of the Rings for both aspects, after all they could have picked any of a number of fantasy books, movies or games for the comparison, but they did pick the one which has another meaning, I doubt it was by accident.

I think the withdrawal of a person from freedom is enough and as the PA comic suggests, the idea of escape is going to be there from the start for those that wish to do so. I can not see how killing goblins would foster a future safecracker and strongbox cracker. It will just make them turn up to hawkins bazaar, eat subway and talk shit whilst laying down cards that say "area of effect - THE FLAMES OF HOT DOOM" and the like.

DnD: Gateway to a lot of bad things. Like the Dark Heresy Gaming System...

This is probably an American thing. Best guess he is in an area where they elect judges and wardens. Seriously, what can a warden campaign on besides "I am going to make prison so unbearable that the daily rape sessions are a respite from the things that I will do to them." Seriously, they don't need to be elected, and yet the Americans do in a lot of areas.

I am a big proponent of rehabilitation in prisons. These guys arre going to get out one day, make sure that they can function in society before they are released. DnD will let them learn how to resolve their differences without resorting to the schiv.

Warden: So why did you shank Jimmy?

Inmate 24601: He tried to take the +2 Butt Cover of Rape Protection that we found in the treasure chest.

Personally... i don't understand why they should get to play DnD.

I mean, i guess this is how i view prison... but it's basically a freaking day care for criminals.

They feed you, give you nap time, recess everyday and hell, they give you a shit load of activities so they don't get bored and kill each other.

Shit...probably just me.

Plus they get brand new movies to watch before we do! My grandma works at a prison as a guard and it seems like a nice place since you don't have to pay the bills while in there... lol I think they should just be locked in all day with just food and water, because some of those bastards killed people or other crazy stuff.

I would much rather see some nerdy ass prisoners playing DnD over ass-raping, TV, weights, etc etc. At least when they get out with crazy knowledge of DnD they're just looking for a place to score some Bawls instead of robbing liquor stores.

Seriously though, they technically SHOULD be reflecting on their crime, but I'm pretty sure they are reminded by that every morning they wake up and see themselves behind bars. Giving them nothing to do would lead to them going crazy and becoming a larger threat to society when they're done. Keep in mind that psychiatric institutions have been shutting down left and right, so these nuts would have nowhere to go but on the street anyway.

PA is just awesome,

regardless of the conflict presented i thought the comic was really funny

EDIT: also anyone who that desperately wants to play DnD i doubt is any threat to security at all, and he'll get escape fantasies regardless, cause he's in goddamn prison.

He might've killed in the first place cause some one just touched his DnD stuff >.>

Edited by MisaaAmane

The part I love about the story is that an inmate in prison not only plays the game and finds others to play it but was able to write a 96 page campaign.

You don't realize the cost alternatives of their time. Non-violent prison inmates are dream students for teachers. They always have their homework done, they study, and the listen to lectures. The alternative uses for their time are that lame. It's probably a choice between sit in your cell or sit in your cell and work toward a GED. Eventually they decide "hell, I guess I will get my GED" or in this case, "I will write a campaign that will take an entire week to play".

Edited by Shinobi273