WORLD Champion CoLtS?

El Salvadorion

Ok so i was watching NFL Network and on every comercial with the colts I heard like "Peyton Manning and the world Champion colts take on Vick and the Falcons" then another one "join are celebration with the world champion colts".

I DONT GET IT!!!!!

The Colts arent world CHAMPIONS THERE COUNTRY CHAMPIONS if u really think about it. If u really wanna make them world champions have them play the champions out of Europe ,Japan, and anyother nations that have a football teams. World Champions arent World Champions till they play other nations.

What do u GuYs Think?

Baseball and basketball have world competitions though, unlike football. In hockey though, whoever wins the Cup are pretty much world champions because there are people from many many countries.

I agree. Calling the Indianapolis Colts the "World" Champs is an incorrect term. They are the Super Bowl champs, but not the World Champs. Any sport that has to do with competing against other countries are to be considered World Champs if they are declared the winner. The NFL and it's 32 teams are strictly within the U.S.A.

Well before it was the Superbowl, it was the AFL - NFL "World Championship" Game. So they coined it from that, but it does make sense. It's a game, played throughout the world, watched all around the world. There is no other league like it, except for the NFL Europe, but again that's a branch off of the NFL. So they are the World Champions in the NFL because there is no other NFL in the World.

Its not watched all around the world, its not played all around the world.

It is an American game.

For their to be world champions, their needs to be a tournament with global teams, such as Football and Rugby World Cups. That is where teams actually prove their worth on a global level,

Having lived in America now for 26 years I have experienced this for quite a while. It was a bit of an adjustment moving here and all of the American inflated ego's, but part of that is what makes America great.

This falls under the catagory of 'Americanism', where the US see's it's self AS the world. Before Sept. 11, 2001, you could not find international news in print or on TV; world news to America was what happened in America.

America used to be a fiercely proud nation and it treats it's sports teams as world champions!

Let's not limit this just the NFL, baseball (MLB) and basketball (NBA) do the same thing.

While I hail from a country where winning the FA Cup does not earn you a world champion title, living in America means having to put up with those false labels.

The word "World" when used in reference to championships has two very distinct meanings.

The first, in terms of competitions like the World Cup, or World Baseball Classic, refers to the compilation of all the political nations. The "World" as defined by the collection of countries that make it up. National teams that win these competitions are "World Champions" because their nation's team is better (at least that year) than any other nation's team.

Then there's the second meaning, a more literal sense of the word. "World Champion" meaning, quite literally, the best team in the world, regardless of what country its roster members hail from. In the NFL, World Champion is an accurate title because its teams allow the owners to do exactly that. To assemble the best possible team they can, regardless of where they are from.

It'd be naive to think, in soccer, if the single best player at each position in the entire world were assembled on one team, and coached long enough to build the appropriate chemistry, that any national team could have a prayer of competing. Even the national team that wins the World Cup.

World Cup Championship teams are the best team in the world comprised of players solely from one Country.

Super Bowl Champion teams (World Champion Colts) are the best team in football world period.

So there you have it. Oh, and as for the NFL Europe thing, it's common knowledge that NFLE is basically a minor league farm system of the NFL. Matter of fact, a large majority of the players in that league are under contract to NFL teams; and are merely relegated to the Europe league to improve.

Lastly, can we stop the American bashing now? That'd be great!

Nice try...but this does work for Baseball of Basketball :p and I'm pretty sure they still play football in Canada (maybe still Europe)

And as far as America bashing.......please. A country that proclaims it's local hero's World Champions can take a little heat. There's no bashing here, just asking for a little honesty. ;)

it is a misleading term, but as was mentioned, the NFL is the highest level of "American Football" competition in the world. there are players from all over the globe playing in it. thus, the champions of it are indirectly "World Champions".

and the other thing is the marketing and campaigning behind all of it. it seems so much more important when a team is dubbed "world champs", rather than "league champs". it is pretty much a coined term to make more money...

Shaaady is absolutely 100% correct. The NFL is a money making machine and any type of exploit including wording that they can use to make more money they will use.

The thing that makes me laugh the most about this thread is the small things that get peoples panties in a twist. I mean is it really that important to people that the Colts be called the U.S. Champions instead of World Champions? Who gives a shit really. If it bothers you that much then write a letter to all the countries of the world asking them to field an american football team to play against a team made up of all of the NFL's top american players. Then maybe people won't get bothered by something so trivial.

Having lived in America now for 26 years I have experienced this for quite a while. It was a bit of an adjustment moving here and all of the American inflated ego's, but part of that is what makes America great.

This falls under the catagory of 'Americanism', where the US see's it's self AS the world. Before Sept. 11, 2001, you could not find international news in print or on TV; world news to America was what happened in America.

America used to be a fiercely proud nation and it treats it's sports teams as world champions!

Let's not limit this just the NFL, baseball (MLB) and basketball (NBA) do the same thing.

While I hail from a country where winning the FA Cup does not earn you a world champion title, living in America means having to put up with those false labels.

The above are American bashing. Hate to say it but your wrong.

Nice try...but this does work for Baseball of Basketball :p and I'm pretty sure they still play football in Canada (maybe still Europe)

And as far as America bashing.......please. A country that proclaims it's local hero's World Champions can take a little heat. There's no bashing here, just asking for a little honesty. ;)

So now I guess we're liars? Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it incorrect. The Indianapolis Colts are champions of the football world and the best in the world hence the title. Get over it. The sport does not have to have play against teams all over the world to be considered world champions. The NFL has the best football players in the world, from all around the world (granted 99.0% are probably American) but that's all it is. We are not trying to proclaim something we are not. The Super Bowl champions are the best in the world, and I'd like to see you refute that.

Its not watched all around the world, its not played all around the world.

It is an American game.

For their to be world champions, their needs to be a tournament with global teams, such as Football and Rugby World Cups. That is where teams actually prove their worth on a global level,

Ok, What place are you living in?

I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years and remember seeing the Superbowl on dutch cable with dutch commentary. Also I was invited to play in a dutch "american football" league. So yes it's an american game but it's watched and played throughout the world. That's like saying Soccer or "Football" which is dominantly played in South America and Europe, doesn't exist in the US. It's here but not as strong as the main american sports, and that's the same for the rest of the world, it's played and watched but not as dominant.

Ok, What place are you living in?

I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years and remember seeing the Superbowl on dutch cable with dutch commentary. Also I was invited to play in a dutch "american football" league. So yes it's an american game but it's watched and played throughout the world. That's like saying Soccer or "Football" which is dominantly played in South America and Europe, doesn't exist in the US. It's here but not as strong as the main american sports, and that's the same for the rest of the world, it's played and watched but not as dominant.

Im in the UK. Yes, we watch the Superbowl, but it doesnt mean that its available to watch live on a weekly basis does it?

And its played at an Amateur level in Europe pretty much. Theres no big league in each country, theirss no International tournaments, their isnt the same level as football.

The above are American bashing. Hate to say it but your wrong.

So now I guess we're liars? Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it incorrect. The Indianapolis Colts are champions of the football world and the best in the world hence the title. Get over it. The sport does not have to have play against teams all over the world to be considered world champions. The NFL has the best football players in the world, from all around the world (granted 99.0% are probably American) but that's all it is. We are not trying to proclaim something we are not. The Super Bowl champions are the best in the world, and I'd like to see you refute that.

First of all they dont play football.

And yes they do have to play teams from over the world to qualify as world champions. Otherwise why arent they Super Galaxy and Beyond Champions??

It isnt AMerica bashing- its just stating that your applying a term that isnt gained properly.