Is it possible (play style related question)

Vectorman953

Is it possible to start off a character as, say, a mage, leveling up your destruction and restoration powers up to a very high level...

... and then deciding that you want to be a stealth/arrow/lockpicking type character?

I understand that it would be really hard, and would require a grind, but I was wondering if you could create a well-rounded character if you put in enough time.

well the skill system is laid out so that they all raise according to how much you use them. So in theory you could start out a mage and then become more thief-like. It might not be a huge grind because the areas are leveled, so just go back to early areas and raise your skill there.

Basically your character will develop according to how you use him/her. So if you want to be a mage/thief, play as one the whole time. Would be more fun than grinding later on

In The Elder Scrolls, there are 2 systems. You have the skill system and you have the leveling system. At the beginning of the game, you're given governing attributes (Acrobatics, agility, etc...) that affect things like carry weight, health endurance, etc... You get to pick your primary focuses on this list. Afterward, you get to pick 7 skills that you will major in, which will give you a small bonus in each when the game starts. (Custom classes mean you can make any character you want. If you really want to, you can excel in Alchemy, Destruction, Alteration, Archery, Melee Weapons, Heavy Armor, and Sneak. Whatever you want to call that class)

Getting back to skill and leveling. Skill can be gained simply by doing the thing you're interested in using. So to answer your question, yes, you can be a mage and get good at Archery; However, unless they changed this and nobody told me, leveling is dependent on your improvement of your 7 major skills. You level up by going up 10 points in any combination of the 7 skills and than sleeping in a bed. Leveling up is what allows you to invest points into your governing attributes.

Basically what I'm saying is you can enhance any skill you want whenever you want, but if you want to keep upgrading things like healthy and how much weight you can carry, you're going to want to focus primarily on raising your major skills.

In The Elder Scrolls, there are 2 systems. You have the skill system and you have the leveling system. At the beginning of the game, you're given governing attributes (Acrobatics, agility, etc...) that affect things like carry weight, health endurance, etc... You get to pick your primary focuses on this list. Afterward, you get to pick 7 skills that you will major in, which will give you a small bonus in each when the game starts. (Custom classes mean you can make any character you want. If you really want to, you can excel in Alchemy, Destruction, Alteration, Archery, Melee Weapons, Heavy Armor, and Sneak. Whatever you want to call that class)

Getting back to skill and leveling. Skill can be gained simply by doing the thing you're interested in using. So to answer your question, yes, you can be a mage and get good at Archery; However, unless they changed this and nobody told me, leveling is dependent on your improvement of your 7 major skills. You level up by going up 10 points in any combination of the 7 skills and than sleeping in a bed. Leveling up is what allows you to invest points into your governing attributes.

Basically what I'm saying is you can enhance any skill you want whenever you want, but if you want to keep upgrading things like healthy and how much weight you can carry, you're going to want to focus primarily on raising your major skills.

Two things one attributes are gone when you level you gain health then you also choose to add a 10 point bonus to mana stamina or health and two classes are gone all skills are major skills in order to hit the hard level cap in the 70's you must max all 18 skills. As for the OP yes you can but the higher a skill is the quicker you level up so as long as you aren't trying to power level from say level 45 to 50 it won't be a problem.

Ok, the new skill system in this game is getting gayer by the day. I'm still gonna play it, but I'm going back to Morrowind when all is said and done...

I think im going to enjoy playing the new system, despite playing (and loving) both Oblivion and Morrowind. This new system really gives gamers (and myself, picking the the birthsign that gives a 50% weaknes to fire in Oblivion, doh! :rolleyes:) new to the series a chance not make the error of picking the wrong major skills or birthsign at the start of their game and being stuck with that for the rest of their playthrough.

I do like that magicka seems more acessible in this game, I have never been able to build a strong mage character in any previous Elder Scrolls games lol. Maybe I should just stick to my warrior nord haha :)

IIRC, there are basically only two decisions you'll need to make upon leveling up. The first one being whether to allot your level bonus to either health, magicka, or stamina. And the second decisions being which perk you would like to unlock (think Fallout 3).

For the perks, if I remember correctly, you can only unlock certain perks in skill trees (constellations) if you have that skill leveled enough. So let's say you have the Destruction skill only at level 25, you might be able to unlock only two of the lower-tiered available "stars", or perks, in that skill's constellation, until you level up the skill further by using it more.

IN SUMMARY: if you really want to leave yourself open to class customization during mid-late late, SAVE ALL YOUR UNLOCK PERKS. Todd Howard said himself that you can save up your perk points as long as you'd like.

ps: here are the perk trees (constellations)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=338694

Edited by Kraderic

Ok, the new skill system in this game is getting gayer by the day. I'm still gonna play it, but I'm going back to Morrowind when all is said and done...

honestly I am super annoyed I never played Morrowind. Never had an xbox until like 2007, and I have Morrowind on the PC, I just never got around to it. The skill system on Morrowind from what I played was awesome. I think it would be cool if they brought back the skill system from Morrowind as an option somehow in some ES game.

the only real issue with doing that would be the perks but as others have said you can just save them.

Otherwise the only issue will be switching to say one handed from destruction is that since it's lower it will be like going back to level one with how much damage you can do.

as I recall though Enemy health and damage is not nearly as weighted as it was Oblivion so being a higher level starting a new skill shouldn't be nearly as painful as it would be in Oblivion.

I'm pretty sure that was the whole point to them not giving you a class right away, Todd said it's hard to tell what skills are important in the first few minutes and without classes players can learn as they play.