Official World Cup 2014 Discussion

Morbido

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DStyles makes the baby Jesus cry.

Poor Messi...unless Argentina has another solid generation on the way his WC winning windows might have just closed.

With the likes of Mascherano getting too old and Aguero just failing miserably internation-wise, I don't think Argentina will make it to the finals again under Messi. At the age of 27, he could very well be sliding down the cliff in four years. Or he could do what Miroslav Klose does and just still be awesome until the ripe age of 95

Germany won because we had endless talent on the bench. Most of our subs were better than a lot of Argentina players who start on the pitch! Mario Goetze seriously stepped up after being replaced by Klose. I'm so proud of the young man.

Speaking of Klose, it was a really bittersweet moment watching him walk off the pitch. Such an amazing player, 16 goals in four World Cups. To think the likes of Thomas Mueller is at a mere age of 24 and already has 10 goals in two tourneys.

Watching the game, I noticed what most in the world will tell you about Germany: there is no single star player that the team relies on. We're a machine. When you see a poster of Germany, you don't see a representative that is clearly head and shoulders above his mates. You see an entire team. Argentina were Messi, di Maria and Mascherano. We outlasted them, not even calling our third sub until two minutes before ET was over. Seriously unforgettable World Cup this has been.

And I honestly don't think Messi deserved the Golden Ball. That should've gone to James Rodriguez or Arjen Robben.

Imagine the team with the likes of Reus, Gundogan and the young upcoming stars like Goretzka, Tah, Meyer and Emre Can.

Don't know if you guys heard of the Castrol Index but Messi isn't even in the top 10 players performing at this World Cup based on their role and position.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html

I'm proud to see a Dutch defender in the top 3, hopefully he'll make it in the FIFA WC All Star team. My guess would be:

Neuer

Lahm, Hummels, De Vrij (or Vlaar), T. Silva

Kroos, James Rodriguez, Schweinsteiger

Robben, Muller, Messi (even though I would put Benzema or even Neymar in his place)

With the likes of Mascherano getting too old and Aguero just failing miserably internation-wise, I don't think Argentina will make it to the finals again under Messi. At the age of 27, he could very well be sliding down the cliff in four years. Or he could do what Miroslav Klose does and just still be awesome until the ripe age of 95

Messi is leagues ahead of Klose. Its just Klose has been surrounded by better players than Messi has.

He cant win it on his own as was proved last night. Aguero/Higuain/Lavezzi/Palacios and the entire midfield bar Mascherano had poor tournaments. There is only so much one player can do.

Okay, time for your "biggest surprise" and "biggest disappointment" of the tournament. You can pick whatever you want...players, teams, events...whatever.

Biggest Surprise: Costa Rica. They showed signs of challenging Mexico and the US for supremacy in Concacaf during qualifying but I doubted they could make it out of an extremely tough group. Especially with their poor history of play away from home.

Biggest Disappointment: Neymar getting hurt. I don't think Brazil was that good but I think Neymar's injury cast a dark cloud over the whole event. I think it broke the spirit of a team that already had issues. Brazil loses to Germany whether Neymar plays or not. But if that team didn't have it's spirit broken I think the game would have been close.

Imagine the team with the likes of Reus, Gundogan and the young upcoming stars like Goretzka, Tah, Meyer and Emre Can.

Don't know if you guys heard of the Castrol Index but Messi isn't even in the top 10 players performing at this World Cup based on their role and position.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html

I'm proud to see a Dutch defender in the top 3, hopefully he'll make it in the FIFA WC All Star team. My guess would be:

Neuer

Lahm, Hummels, De Vrij (or Vlaar), T. Silva

Kroos, James Rodriguez, Schweinsteiger

Robben, Muller, Messi (even though I would put Benzema or even Neymar in his place)

Reus' injury was a damn shame.

And the C index... yeah, kept looking at it throughout. I agree with the final 11 near enough, but when they had David Luiz as the highest rated player, good god, i nearly pissed myself.

Edited by Emperor 95

Okay, time for your "biggest surprise" and "biggest disappointment" of the tournament. You can pick whatever you want...players, teams, events...whatever.

Biggest Surprise: Costa Rica. They showed signs of challenging Mexico and the US for supremacy in Concacaf during qualifying but I doubted they could make it out of an extremely tough group. Especially with their poor history of play away from home.

Biggest Disappointment: Neymar getting hurt. I don't think Brazil was that good but I think Neymar's injury cast a dark cloud over the whole event. I think it broke the spirit of a team that already had issues. Brazil loses to Germany whether Neymar plays or not. But if that team didn't have it's spirit broken I think the game would have been close.

Biggest surprise - Definitely Costa Rica getting to the quarter finals. I dont think anyone thought they would get out of the group.

Shows you that when a team is well organised they can punch above their weight.

Other surprises. I thought if Brazil didn't win there would be major trouble. Glad that didn't happen.

How good James Rodriguez was. Didn't know much about him a month ago, now hes the talk of the football world.

Spains 1st round elimination. I knew they were not good enough to win, but I thought they would get out of their group.

Germany 7-1 Brazil. I thought Germany would win, but 7-1, no chance.

Biggest disappointment - Has to be the Suarez incident. So sad that someone as talented as he is, acts like he does. Also the ban is a joke.

Other disappointments. The final itself was a huge let down. Especially the 2nd half.

The commentary and analysis on both BBC and ITV ranged from average to terrible.

Reus' injury was a damn shame.

And the C index... yeah, kept looking at it throughout. I agree with the final 11 near enough, but when they had David Luiz as the highest rated player, good god, i nearly pissed myself.

That was only because he had an assist against Cameroun and scored against Chile and Colombia. David Luiz was okay when he played for Benfica but he lacks skill as a defender. I don't understand why PSG paid so much money for a limited defender, there are better and probably cheaper options (like Hummels).

Biggest Surprise: The Goalkeepers

This WC was the cup for goalkeepers, transfer listed keepers who aren't good enough for B rated teams making world class saves. Neuer playing as a CDM, Ochoa, Enyama, Howard played their best matches at this WC and Krul being the first ever Dutch penalty killer in a WC.

Biggest Disappointment: Luis Suarez

I like him as a player, he has so much skill and he's a player you would buy a ticket for but his personality is shit. Biting a fellow sportsman, trying to make up excuses and letting a whole nation down with one dumb move is disappointing. I was hoping he redeemed himself after the whole Ivanovic debacle, but it seems it's just in his nature. The difference this time is that the whole world saw him as the person he is and not as the player he can be.

• 3 weeks later...