Do You Invert The Y-Axis?

Xscapist

Inverted, and how long have you been gaming?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Inverted, and how long have you been gaming?

• Inverted (since 8-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 8-bit era)
    • Inverted (since 16-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 16-bit era)
    • Inverted (since 32/64-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 32/64-bit era)
    • Inverted (since 128-bit era)
    • Not inverted (since 128-bit era)
    • Inverted (since current era)
    • Not inverted (since current era)

Gamers who invert the y-axis on camera controls are technically the minority, but not an insignificant one. I've seen it said that it's maybe between 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 who play inverted.

I'm one of those people who was really thrown off by the game's lack of proper inverted controls (it's either "normal," or *both* axis are inverted, which is even worse). Personally, I blame Goldeneye for this. And maybe StarFox (I needed to quickly change to inverted every time I was required to pilot the Beluga, because I just couldn't do it otherwise). In discussions I've noticed that its typically older gamers who invert more often, because of games like those, but what can you do.

I'm curious how many other people here playing BG&E similarly struggled the way I did with the game, so I figured why not start a poll? And out of curiosity, I'm going to include additional options to try and get a sense of the generational thing as well (since what era have you been gaming?).

P.S.: I did just 100% the game, btw. But I had to try my hardest to avoid adjusting the camera up or down. The way camera is handled during the whole Slaughterhouse chapter was particularly tough.

P.P.S.: Anyone who posts just to say people who play inverted should "stop whining" are not contributing anything useful to the discussion.

Edited by Xscapist

I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about.

Is it really that difficult to just get used to the camera after a couple of goes with it? I don't say this in a mean spirited way mind, but out of somewhat curiosity as I'll often end up changing between games with similar and yet different control schemes, but give me a minute or two to remember the layout, I'll have adapted to it again.

I just don't see how 30 or 40 pictures into the game, people are still struggling to handle an up and down motion. Sorry. =/

I invert to the point of having my Y-axis inverted by default on my Xbox game default settings. The only problem with that is that when a game still doesn't control as I expect, I don't know if it's ignoring my setting, or naturally aligned to my tendency.

I've been gaming for a thousand years, so it may be an age thing.

I always have my console games Y axis inverted and as per the OP, I do believe it was the N64 that started it all. As soon as I read what was said about Goldeneye and Lylat Wars, I started to recall my first times playing them and having trouble getting acquainted with it- but now? Now I just find 'normal' to be just 'bleurghhh' lol!

I'm not a regular PC gamer, but when I do play I have to have my mouse set to normal though. I can't get my head around how that works, but inverted feels just as odd on a mouse.

As far as the X axis goes, I can only deal with it when it's the reverse of however it's set by default in BG&E. I got through the game, just like I did the first time around- it just would have enhanced the experience that little bit more if the camera control had felt 'right'.

I always invert, so this game is really messing with my head, because if you invert the Y it also inverts the x. No one I've met ever inverts x and y, just y.

So I'm left trying to work out if having no invert or having an extra axis inverted is better for me. I figure you turn left and right more than you look up and down, so I'm going for the non-invert. I still keep looking down when I want to look up though.

And for those who don't use invert, getting used to not using it isn't like just playing with a different layout. It's ingrained into my brain, and I can't just flick a switch.

Right, it's different with control layouts, because almost every game has a slightly different control layout...there's no "default" set of controls that the majority of games all use, but in the early days of 3D and FPS, inverted was default (in fact, in some early games what is now considered "normal" y-axis was labeled "inverted"). And it's difficult to just unlearn the way you've been playing games for the last 15 years (or more).

I've always played inverted. It's not like a control layout switch as simple b does something different but more like a muscle memory. To understand play a shooter a lot and then switch to inverted. Maybe it's just years of playing but in my experience whenever my friends take the controls they get all confused as they are used to using the now normal control scheme.

I've played inverted for as long as I can remember and I bought BG&E when it first came out for my PS2. I must have completely forgotten about the camera 'issues' because when I re-bought the HD version I was completely thrown off by the inverted option! I've personally found it's not a big problem until it comes to combat, THEN it's a problem.

Also has anyone tried playing that pearl game Mdisk you get for collecting all pearls? Jesus, try playing that with inverted controls!

I've played inverted for as long as I can remember and I bought BG&E when it first came out for my PS2. I must have completely forgotten about the camera 'issues' because when I re-bought the HD version I was completely thrown off by the inverted option! I've personally found it's not a big problem until it comes to combat, THEN it's a problem.

Also has anyone tried playing that pearl game Mdisk you get for collecting all pearls? Jesus, try playing that with inverted controls!

First part is exactly how I was. I remember loving the game on Xbox, but couldn't for the life of me remember the camera controls being such a pain.

And shit, is that the reason Yo! Pearl is so hard? May give it another try with "normal" controls then.

I need things inverted. Iono why, just do. I find it difficult if i have to compensate for normal controls as it takes extra time. No way I could play a shooter where it requires twitchy movement but something like this I can make do. I played this the first time around and managed it. I sposse I'll have to do it again. Its a damn fine game and wholly worth the extra effort involved.

We need a support group ;)

Enjoy,

-Cyg

Personally, I blame Goldeneye for this. And maybe StarFox (I needed to quickly change to inverted every time I was required to pilot the Beluga, because I just couldn't do it otherwise).

Actually, I blame both. StarFox is what started it, but I was playing both games during the same summer. I can't play any game without the Y-axis inverted.

X-axis can vary from game to game, but most part, the X-axis stays normal.

I won't purchase the game until they patch this. I absolutely need the Y axis inverted, that is non negotiable. I'm sure I could take some time and get used to the inverted X axis as well (Final Fantasy XII played that way, and it's my second favorite game of all time, along with a bunch of other PS2 and GameCube games that I played with an inverted X axis) but why should I have to. I have plenty of other games to play that I don't have to work to enjoy. This would be such a simple thing for them to patch in.

Been inverting ever since I spent the better part of 4 years of my life playing the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series on PC. At least that's my theory...flight sims hardwired my brain for the Y-axis inversion. I haven't worked my theory out enough to figure how or why it would carry over to console F/TPS's though.

But yeah...I ended up having to invert everything for this game which then completely screwed me up for the first 10 minutes or so of Dead Space 2. Was running left into walls when I wanted to go right around a corner. And god forbid there was a door...I probably couldn't have gotten through it on the first attempt if it was 30 feet wide. It was a complete mess but it was worth it to play through BG&E again.

Always normal.

What 8 bit games let you invert axis?

I play many types of games at once and often find I'm pushing, pressing, squeezing something wrong based on the game played previously, but I adapt. Doesn't really bother me much.

I had a flight simulator on my Tandy 1000 (came out in 1984). I started playing inverted then. In that situation, you push the up key to dive forward, and down to pull back, right to roll right and left to roll left. In first person games this same feel translated over. The inverted Y axis has the same feel, although pushing right or left doesn't roll you in first person, the general idea of rolling the plane was to eventually go in that direction so that's the rational I make.

You learn to do something a particular way and your brain physically changes to learn that way. For many of us, that change has been ingrained for so long it would be like asking somebody who's right handed to start using their left hand instead. Sure they can write left handed, but it's not going to be pretty without a bit of practice. Same with inverted people.

Always normal.

What 8 bit games let you invert axis?

I play many types of games at once and often find I'm pushing, pressing, squeezing something wrong based on the game played previously, but I adapt. Doesn't really bother me much.

Another stupid example. Unless of course I'm forgetting all those first and third person perspective games of the 8 bit generation which featured camera controls.