What are the best three films ever made?

BenS

:confused: It's a difficult question, undoubtedly. I was asked this the other day, and I had to say that I'd never seen Citizen Kane, which is frequently given as the best, and that I didn't agree with the BFI poll, which proclaimed Vertigo as the best (although it's in my top ten). I personally think that the best film ever made is The Godfather, followed by Pulp Fiction, and then I struggle to choose a third, but it may have to be A Clockwork Orange... I'm torn though between that and Fight Club.

And honourable mentions go to Alien, The Dark Knight and Empire Strikes Back.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schindler's List is the most powerful movie I have ever watched. It would be in my top 3.

I think Schindler's List is considered though by a lot of people to be one of the top 3 greatest films of all time.

I would also put Titanic in my top 3.

I can't really think of a third right now, but those 2 are definitely in my top 3 greatest movies I have ever scene.

They are however not in my top 5 when it comes to my most favorite movies.

Edited by CrAzYnEsS

What genre? You can't compare, say, The Exorcist to Goodfellas. Two completely different genres.

What's the criteria? Filmmaking, story, acting, how it relates to you, how it moves you/makes you feel? A film like Ted made me laugh my ass off, where a movie like Les Miserables made me feel pure emotion.

I'm not a big fan of "best of all time", especially when "experts" do lists. It's always overrated flicks like Citizen Kane taking top spot. While it IS a good movie, it's FAR from "the best", IMHO.

My "top" flicks usually always include:

Blair Witch Project

[REC]

Evil Dead

Are they the "best" movies? Nah, but they're my favorite.

i think the definition of best films ever varies from person to person, my definition of the best films of all time are ones that keep me griped, entertained, how my emotions are pulled into it and re watchability.

1. Shutter Island

2. I Am Legend

3. City of God

now these are the three i can think of now, ask me on another day and i guarantee like anyone else the answer will be different. im just a movie buff and love watching loads, i could go on talking for days about films.

also on a side note, i havent seen it mentioned in the thread yet so i think lord of the rings and pirates of the Caribbean defiantly deserve an honorable mention

The best films ever made are completely subjective and will change from person to person. There is no wrong or right answer.

My person top 3 would probably be:

The Lion King

Johnny Got His Gun (Original)

Toy Story

The Lion King is number 1 no matter what IMO, never changes. The other 2 are amazing films but there are quite a few I could have there.

Honestly, I feel like 12 Angry Men has to be at least one of them. It's a movie in black and white where the characters are given no name, yet have 12 equally unique personalities.

The next one has to be Toy Story. Toy Story was the first fully animated movie and it still ranks one of the highest rated movies. The last time I checked Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, and the like, there were maybe 2 negatives from each website combined? The story was great, the characters were great, it was executed almost perfectly.

I don't know what the third could be....

I tend to find most the movies on the best list boring or pretentious.

I'd probably just rate Back to the Future as a top one. Good soundtrack, cast, effects don't look dated or cheesy, and I could watch it every couple months.

I can't make up my mind what else I'd put on the list. Lion King, Scarface, T2, The Godfather. I can't remember which movies I really like.

Way too hard to decide which are BEST ... so here are three favorites (at least in this moment in time, 10 minutes from now my answers would be different):

1. Star Wars: Episode VI - The Empire Strikes Back

2. The Princess Bride

3. Back to the Future, Part III

On a side note ... I don't remember this, but my mother remembers taking my sister and I to see BttF III in the theater and she tells me I was CRYING, like openly tear-streaked, in the car on the ride home. When she asked me why I was crying, supposedly I said, "Because it said 'The End', not 'To Be Continued ..."

It sounds like something I'd do/say :D