Achievement Discussion

Khaos

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I personally hope they have a high proportion of achievements related to stealth. Dishonored has achievements like 0 times caught & 0 kills for the entire playthrough. I hope Thief can do the same. After all, in T1 & T2 Expert difficulty, killing is forbidden. A thief is meant to stay silent and unseen, and a true professional doesn't leave a mess behind.

I personally hope they have a high proportion of achievements related to stealth. Dishonored has achievements like 0 times caught & 0 kills for the entire playthrough. I hope Thief can do the same. After all, in T1 & T2 Expert difficulty, killing is forbidden. A thief is meant to stay silent and unseen, and a true professional doesn't leave a mess behind.

Best Joint Advertising Campaign EVER!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/k6Db5YM.png

Edited by Darth VeX

• 1 month later...

I loved those achievements in Dishonored but sometimes I found myself resorting to YouTube videos in order to do them which broke the immersion of the game. Either way, since Garret doesn't really do any killing anyways, I suspect almost all the achievements are stealth-related anyways!

• 3 months later...

I haven't gotten over that "finish the game in 15 hours or more" achievement yet. Naturally you'd expect to see "less" instead of "more" so this is bizarre. Has there ever been an achievement that encourages you to spend time like this?

All I can really think of is the Monkey Island special edition achievement "10 Minutes Later" which was a funny nod to Guybrush when he stated that he could hold his breath underwater for 10 minutes but not any longer.

So in a weird way I have a dumb feeling that Thief is going to be short and this Predatory Drive achievement will act like a typical carrot on a stick to entice the average achievement hunter to spend more time with Thief but for most other players they'll pick up the game and finish in 10 or so hours and never go back.

Oh well. It's just an achievement anyway. I'm more interested in what Eidos Montreal can do here with the Thief IP. They did a fantastic job with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, easily my favorite game of the 7th generation. I wonder how Eidos's work on Thief will impact the gameplay of Deus Ex: Universe. Looking forward to that one very much.

Yeah, that achievement is funky, but as a stealth title…I'm assuming it takes 10+ hours anyways to complete the story. Besides, there's achievements for completing all those side objective, stealing everything in a single chapter, completing the game without killing anyone, and finding all secret locations. So I am confident that if you do at least two of those tasks, 15+ hours will be simple.

Cannot wait for this though. Gameplay looks solid, achievements look great, and while not the first true "next-gen" game of the year, it'll definitely be a god one!

I like that 15+ hours one. When I first read it I thought it was another speed run but I like the idea of being rewarded for taking my time and exploring. I've never played a Thief game before but I'm seriously thinking of picking this up. Need me some stealth games:D

Stealth games to rule 'em all, I say!

• 2 weeks later...

15 or more hours, stupid.

I understand them wanting you to take your time through the game, but this achievement makes no sense, and isn't really an achievement at all, as it doesn't seem to require skill.

If it takes 15 hours to get collectibles, side missions, etc... then the achievement is redundant and not necessary. If it takes less than that, then it will be making people hide in a secret room for a few hours in the last level in order to get the achievement.

15 or more hours, stupid.

I understand them wanting you to take your time through the game, but this achievement makes no sense, and isn't really an achievement at all, as it doesn't seem to require skill.

If it takes 15 hours to get collectibles, side missions, etc... then the achievement is redundant and not necessary. If it takes less than that, then it will be making people hide in a secret room for a few hours in the last level in order to get the achievement.

This achievement is most likely going to unlock naturally, without worrying about counting the hours, in the Custom Difficulty playthrough given the difficulty of the mods.

I don't mind the achievement, it only encourages exploration, rather than people running through each Chapter, only doing the prescribed objectives that are necessary for competing it.

If anything, I'm more annoyed that the list isn't even full, rather than this one, single achievement.

• 2 weeks later...

I was scared that they would have an achievement like "Finished the game without a single kill or knockout," I guess I will be reloading frequently. In addition, " Clear Headed: Reached the final chapter without using the focus ability" and "Focus on the Tasks at Hand: Picked a pocket and a lock using the focus ability," seem annoying.

Edited by XcmGT

Well, my worst fear has come true

Complete the game without a kill or knockout. I hate achievements like this. They ruin games.

Sure, it's a stealth game, but make the achievement : complete the game without being noticed. That's fine. Avoiding enemies ruins the fun impo. Same with deus ex, spoilt it.

Well, my worst fear has come true

Complete the game without a kill or knockout. I hate achievements like this. They ruin games.

Sure, it's a stealth game, but make the achievement : complete the game without being noticed. That's fine. Avoiding enemies ruins the fun impo. Same with deus ex, spoilt it.

This is how I feel, and like BiggD states it makes you resort to spoiling the game for an Achievement.

Any idea is Obsessive Compulsive includes pickpocketing guards? I'm doing my best to loot everything and pick every pocket, but it looked like some of the sleeping guards may have had something but I wasn't able to grab it. Maybe if I woke them up, but I didn't want to do that.

When I played Dishonored, I always did my best, but there were times I'd end up 1,000 coins short despite me looking as thoroughly as I could. I hope Thief isn't as punishing.

Edit: 2/4 Collectibles. 53/60 Loot. 50:06 time. I do my best and I still come up short.

Edit II: I had to watch a video. 37:30 time. I got all of the collectibles. I'm a bit concerned that I didn't get a ghost bonus at the end of the level, unlike the first time, but the statistics show I didn't get detected or perform any kills/knockouts. I'm going to assume that all is well then.

616 gold stolen.

Edited by The Huntsman

Quick Question, please respond: If you play on custom difficulty with no alerts turned on and you get caught, will that negate the achievement for beating the game without any alerts even tho it makes you restart from checkpoint?

I really hope it doesn't cuz I have not been quick loading when i get caught i just hit restart once it shows up.