Minimilast Guide

Phillosoraptor

This is my first walkthrough so it's not perfect. Hope it helps though. :)

MINIMALIST GUIDE

Okay Minimalist isn't that hard to get, just have to be careful. Here is what you should have at the end:

This is 11%:

Equipment:

-Climbing Gear

-CLD Thrust Pack

-Omega Armor XOS-7

-SCHCA Mask

-Friction Dampener

Weapons:

-Flashlight

-WSAR60 Coil Rifle

-Grenade

-Missile

-Foam

Pickups:

Health Upgrades 0/8

Armor Upgrades 0/8

Grenade Packs 1/30

Foam Packs 1/20

Missile Packs 1/20

Gold Bars 1/12

Passkeys 0/12

This took me only 1hr and 50 min so it's not too long.

Here are some tips before you start:

There is one gold bar you are forced to get after you get the friction dampener and you break some boxes, so don't worry about that.

Getting to level 20 before trying this helps if your having trouble, because then you will gain access to the full map from the beginning, so you can make sure to be careful on squares with ?'s.

Play on casual because you'll only have 100 or 200 health (depending on your level) throughout it so it'll be hard to complete on Insane.

Even though the achievement says "under 13%" you will still get it if you have 13%. Since you 11% is the necessary items, you have a bit of room for error for the other 2%.

You can follow these percentages to see if you might of picked up something by accident or to know what you need to get:

Note: At the very beginning, before the spider boss, right after a save, there will be a health pickup lying in the ground in front of you, just try to jump over it, if you accidentally get then just reload your last save.

-Had 1% at Flashlight

-Had 1% at Backpack

-Had 2% at WSP40 (Pistol)

-Had 3% at Grenades

-Had 4% at WSMP50 Compact (Submachine Gun)

-Had 5% at WSM400A1 Carbine (1st Assault Rifle)

-Had 6% at CLD Thrust Pack and Fusion Body Armor (Light armor and Double Jump)

-Had 7% at the SCHCA Mask (Scuba Mask)

-Still had at 7% after getting foam.

-Had 8% after getting Omega Armor XOS-7 (Full Body Armor)

So right now you should have:

Equipment:

Climbing Gear

CLD Thrust Pack

Omega Armor XOS-7

SCHCA Mask

Weapons:

Flashlight

WSM400A1 Carbine (Because I'm using Gold Guns)

Grenade

Foam

Pickups

1/20 Foam

1/30 Grenade

Everything else at 0.

The only other pickups left are 1/20 missile and 1/12 gold bars, nothing else.

-Had 9% at the Friction Dampener (Super Speed)

Note: At the point a few minutes after getting the Friction Dampener, you have to run through some walls, and in the middle of them is a gold bar. It's unavoidable so just go on after you get it.

-Had 10% after getting the gold bar.

-Had 11% at WSAR60 Coil Rifle (2nd Assault Rifle)

-Still had 11% at the missiles

By now you should have everything you need to beat the game, so just go and finish the guy attacking the girl, then don't go for any of the suit upgrades just goto the blue exclamation point things to finish the story. Don't follow the blue line and don't go for the little grey pictures, those are the armor upgrades.

Note: The game expects you to pick up the armor upgrades, so that's why the blue lines goes to there, but you don't need them to continue and it will add to your item percent. So ignore the blue lines, and just goto the exclamation points, those are the story events, you need to finish all of them to activate the end boss fight and beat the game.

You'll get the achievement at the time/score menu thing after the credits.

Thanks to Renesis for the original list of stuff you should have at the end, it's what I used to beat Minimalist myself, but I was still confused and was wishing for a guide, so I made this for anyone else :)

Thanks to Audio Radar for a list of the item percents, so I could fill in the ones I was missing :D

EDIT: Also going to the jeep and doing the joke ending ("Status Update: Single" Master Challenge) won't count as beating the game, so you can't just do try to do that ending to finish the game quicker, you have to do the whole thing, or you won't get the achievement. :p

EDIT2: Using a Gold Gun will not effect the items percent, or the achievement at all, the game will treat it as if you are not even using it. For example, you might grab the gold vers of the shotgun at the beginning, and then you pick up the pistol, it'll say in the inventory menu that you are using a pistol.

Edited by Phillosoraptor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Also going to the jeep and doing the joke ending ("Status Update: Single" Master Challenge) doesn't get you the achievement btw. :p

The Master Challenges were never achievements; those are there mainly for the REALLY hardcore. Because, honestly, I would hate them if they made ANY of the MCs Achievements (asides from "Status Update: Single).

Godforbid they made you do all MCs for ONE achievement.

The Master Challenges were never achievements;

No, I was saying that you can't just goto the joke ending to finish the game quicker, some people were asking if that worked. It'll end the game, but won't get you the achievement, and if you do continue after you'll just start right at the jeep.

SPOILERS

Just to add to this. I went ahead and got the hook and the triple jump after the missiles, mainly because I forgot where the room was when everything is blowing up around you and you have to escape topside (this triggers the ending). I finished with 13% and the the achievement.

so you did NOT blow up that one room?

Yes you do, at the end where you are supposed to get all the armor pieces, just ignore the armor. Goto where the blue Exclamation points are and then goto the next one and finally goto the one at the docks to finish the game. On one of them, don't remember which you'll talk to the guy on the tv screen and then everything will start to blow up. You will pass a part with an armor piece while going to that section but just ignore it.

Also its helpful if you get all the goldbars in a previous game first, that way instead of running around with the pistol you can just pick your preferred weapon

Yeah, it helped me a ton, I used the last gun, and I killed most of the bosses up until the very end in just a few shots.

You should also get the gold bars as soon as you can so in all the playthroughs you do afterward you'll get double exp, to help get to level 50.

Great guide, just done this now and took about the same time 1:40ish. Finished with 11%

If you follow what this say then you will get the achievement no problems.

On a side not it didnt put my new time on the leaderboards, anyone know why?

I also completed my 2nd playthrough with near 10M score that didn't make it into the leaderboards somehow :(

Back on topic, would you recommend the Insane difficulty for minimalist? I'm finding it pretty though but I don't wanna collect everything a 3rd time already... still I want to hit 50 on my 3rd playthrough. Is this even possible?

I did Minimalist on casual. Did my first on Hardcore and got to level 30, at the same time getting 100% 10 hours gametime. 2nd go through took under 2 hours and I got to level 34.

Doing it on insane might be pretty tough since you'll be going through with only 6 grenades/missiles, only 200 health, no armor upgrades. Pain in the ass if you ask me.

Thank you, and for some reason I don't think it added for me? He says he had 7% by the time he got the scuba mask I only have 6%. :confused:

I had used the gold guns, so it might have added to my percent, I'm not sure about the weapons effecting it. It shouldn't matter too much, you should be able to get it, besides having a lower percent means your doing better! :p

I also completed my 2nd playthrough with near 10M score that didn't make it into the leaderboards somehow :(

Back on topic, would you recommend the Insane difficulty for minimalist? I'm finding it pretty though but I don't wanna collect everything a 3rd time already... still I want to hit 50 on my 3rd playthrough.

I wouldn't suggest it, because like phatmuther said, it would be pretty hard to with the low health and weapon count.

What I did to level up was restart my game on insane, and keep playing up until the first boss right after you get the grenades. After I killed him I went to the save room, then I quit and restarted again. You get about one level everytime until level 35 or so, and then it's like every other time.

Also try to explore most of the rooms on the way, like in the vents that are nearby, or go swim downwards to get the 2 rooms there and kill the enemies with bombas and melee attacks to gain extra experience. ;)

im doing the "claire has been captured! rescue her!" mission and im right at the part where there is a huge red wind turbine facing downward and it wont let u jump up to it untill u destroy it. my problem is when i continue on to get the missle pack u need to crawl through a small rocky tunnel but there is an armor pack in the way.

u didnt list an armor pack as something u will have to get to finish the game. so how can i get the missile pack without getting the armor pack.

im doing the "claire has been captured! rescue her!" mission and im right at the part where there is a huge red wind turbine facing downward and it wont let u jump up to it untill u destroy it. my problem is when i continue on to get the missle pack u need to crawl through a small rocky tunnel but there is an armor pack in the way.

u didnt list an armor pack as something u will have to get to finish the game. so how can i get the missile pack without getting the armor pack.

I'm not sure about that, though I do remember having a bit of trouble at that part. Look around and see if there's a vent somewhere or another path. If all else fails, and you know that that's the right path grab the armor pack and then if you haven't picked up any other unneccessary items (other than the gold bar) than it shouldn't get past 13%, it will probably land on 12%.

There must be another route since I didn't pick up an armor upgrade. Have a look a round.

I'm not sure about that, though I do remember having a bit of trouble at that part. Look around and see if there's a vent somewhere or another path. If all else fails, and you know that that's the right path grab the armor pack and then if you haven't picked up any other unneccessary items (other than the gold bar) than it shouldn't get past 13%, it will probably land on 12%.

thanks a lot! i was able to find a hidden drop in a rock that led to the missile room. i just got the minimalist achievement now!

One thing that is totally screwing me and could cost me the chiev if it happens once more is I cannot avoid picking up the last armour pieces.The game will not make a new goal arrow by simply being in the area.Did I read the guide wrong or what? I just edged towards the hook and it picked it up and autosaved.I am now on 12% and don't want to risk fucking up at this point.Please elaborate on what needs to be done as I really don't understand this :-

"By now you should have everything you need to beat the game, so just go and finish the guy attacking the girl, then don't go for any of the suit upgrades just goto the blue exclamation point things to finish the story. Don't follow the blue line at the beginning, and don't go for the little grey pictures, those are the armor upgrades."

First it says go to the blue "!" but next line don't follow the blue line.That is where I'm lost in transaltion.

Why'd you pick up the hook?

Once claire sods off it says to pick up the rest of the suit pieces. You skip that and go to the final boss. Its marked with a <!> on the right side of the map

Just go out the way you came (if you can) and not pick anything else up. Head to the right of the map. If the <!> isn't showing then head to where it shows the pulse rifle on the map. When you get there you should be the square below it, or its right on top of you, either way continue down that corridor and down some stairs. There should be a save room on the right, to the left is the entrance to the cut scene to start the final boss.