7/11's KoTH App: Unlock digital content (including in-game Locust helmet)!

Hishoa

Ugh, seeing as I don't feel like paraphrasing this late at night.. here's a quote from the Waypoint forums describing the application:

Hey everybody!

Just thought I would stop by and let you all know that a certain game app was released earlier today. It is sponsored by Mountain Dew and 7-11. Pretty much, it's a "King of the Hill" type game where you need to maintain ownership of a Hill (store). Currently, it is only available for iPhones.

Click Here to download the app!

The Idea

waypoint thread: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst127107_7-11-King-of-the-Hill-app--Unlock-Locus-Helm.aspx

Picture Link

Here's how the game works. You first launch the app and set up your profile (email, username, password) and you have created yourself an account. Your Spartan opperates off of "Resources". You start off with 100/200 resources. You use these resources to attack Hills and gain control of them. Each store begins with 200/200 "Health". Your job is to take doown this health and take control of the store, essentially making yourself "King of the Hill". When you capture and hold hills, you get points, ranking you up and netting you some prizes.

Attacking

When you want to attack a Hill, you have a couple options. The first option is to actually go into the store, click on the "Attack" button and battle it out. You will then use your weapon (AR, DMR, or SAW depending on your level) You will attack the Hill until you use all of your resources or the Hill's health is depleted. Additionally, you can tilt your phone to the side to "Strafe". Not really sure what this does yet. This is going to be your most efficient attack. If you can't stop by the store, you have another option- Target Designator. This is a ranged attack that allows you to attack a store when you aren't inside. You need to be generally near the store though (roughly within a mile or so). You will deal less damage (less and less the further you are from the site).

Defending

If you control a Hill, and you see it's health depleting, it's time to defend! You can launch an attack like I stated above and restore order.

Resources

Now, what if I run out of resources? Well, that's where Mountain Dew and Doritos come into play. If you find yourself out of resources, you can go into a 7-11 store and "scan" the front of a Doritos bag or Mountain Dew bottle and it will regenerate a good portion of your Resources. However, if you scan BOTH items, you fully restore your resources. You do not need to purchase these items (thought it would be nice of you) in order to scan them. If you're not near a store, but want to gather some supplies, you can remotely "Salvage". When you salvage, your Spartan's AI takes some time to find supplies for you. You can have them look for 15 mintues, 1 hour, or 12 hours. You'll find that you get the most supplies out of searching every 15 minutes. For instance, the starter salvages are: 15min-20supplies, 1hour-50supplies, 12hours-200supplies. The farther you rank up, the more resources you gain from Salvaging.

Matches

The app works off a certain time limit called "Matches". These matches last an hour (roughly right on each hour of the day). You can only resupply your resources from a store ONCE per match, or once per hour. At the end of a match, your points get tallied up for what you have done including attacking, taking over a hill, defending a hill, or controlling a hill. These points are then added to your Spartan and you rank up.

Ranking Up

Picture Link

There are 30 ranks to achieve. Each rank allows you to gather more supplies and deal more damage. The unlocks are as follows-

Starter - Assault Rifle (Copper) - Max Supplies: 200

Level 2 - Assault Rifle (Silver) - Max Supplies: 220

Level 4 - Assault Rifle (Gold) - Max Supplies: 260

Level 6 - Assault Rifle (Parade White) - Max Supplies: 300

Level 8 - Assault Rifle (Recon Black) - Max Supplies: 340

Level 10 - DMR (Copper) - Max Supplies: 380

Level 12 - DMR (Silver) - Max Supplies: 420

Level 14 - DMR (Gold) - Max Supplies: 460

Level 16 - DMR (Parade White) - Max Supplies: 500

Level 18 - DMR (Recon Black) - Max Supplies: 540

Level 20 - SAW (Copper) - Max Supplies: 580

Level 22 - SAW (Silver) - Max Supplies: 620

Level 24 - SAW (Gold) - Max Supplies: 660

Level 26 - SAW (Parade White) - Max Supplies: 700

Level 28 - SAW (Recon Black) - Max Supplies: 740

Level 30 - Target Designator - Use TD in onsite attacks!

Prizes

Picture Link

So here's the best part. When you play the game and amass some points, you earn prizes! They come in various forms, but here is what is available currently-

Premium Xbox Theme

Bulletproof Emblem

Double XP

Locus Helmet (unlocked via "It's Good To Be King" app achievement")

Ghost Prop

I unlocked a Longbow Premium theme roughly near the end of Level 1. I then unlocked the Bulletproof Emblem about half-way through Level 2. Once I hit Level 3, I unlocked some Double XP. I am not sure if these are unlocked through overall points, or certain actions (attacking a hill, capturing a hill, defending a hill, etc). I unlocked the Locus Helmet after achieving the "It's Good to Be King" achievement, which required 100 "Hail to the King" medals (Hold a hill at the end of a match). I reached this roughly around level 13.

Overall

It's actually a pretty fun game. With the included little GPS tracker I was able to find 7-11 store that I really didn't know about before. I do wish that information about this app was sent out to the stores though. I was stopped a couple times today by employees thinking I was taking pictures of the Double XP codes when I was really just scanning the front of the bag to resupply. Like many of you, I was really aiming for the in-game items such as the Bulletproof Emblem and the Locus Helmet. The Bulletproof Emblem took all of 20 minutes to unlock. Still waiting on the Locus Helmet.

Tips

Right off the bat, I would suggest locating your local 7-11 and attacking with a Target Designator. You will probably only do roughly 50 damage (bringing the store down to 150/200) but you can immediately go in, resupply off the Dew/Doritos and then do a regular Assault Rifle attack, and take over the store.

Additionally, I would recommend using the 15-minute scavenge as often as possible. It'll net you more resources over the period of time.

Once you've taken out your local store, you'll probably be at Level 2, allowing you to hold more resources. At this point, take an hour out of your day and drive around to the local shops and try to capture all that you can. You can AR a store, resupply at that store, then go attack another. If you time your Match Time Limit right, you can then resupply at that next store and continue on.

The more hills you own, the more points you will acquire. Try to capture hills ASAP before more people catch on and start using the app in your area.

For those who can't be bothered to read the above, here's the meat and potatoes:

So here's the best part. When you play the game and amass some points, you earn prizes! They come in various forms, but here is what is available currently-

Premium Xbox Theme

Bulletproof Emblem

Double XP

Locus Helmet (unlocked via "It's Good To Be King" app achievement")

Ghost Prop

Not too sure about everyone else, but this seems a bit too involved for me. Couple the fact that I think this is for the App Store only, I don't think I'd be eligible to begin with; Android all the way, baby.

Seriously? Another American Double XP/free item exclusive event??

We have 7/11's, Doritos and Mountain Dew in Australia, yet I cant even download the app, as its only available through the US Apple Store.

I know I always rant about Australia missing out on exclusive stuff, and I know its only some armor and props, but when I have 7/11+ all the other eligible items to 'play along' just down the road, it seems stupid I cant even download the app, let alone play along and receive the same double XP boosts overseas players receive...........

Why can't these be worldwide? And have the overseas equivalent stores as the 'base'?

All countries seem to have GameStop, EB Games or ShopTo stores, why not use them?

/rantover.

PS- RIP Chyler Silva. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.. :'(

Edited by n1ck3sixty

Fuck this, another app for apple users like the one for reach.

This is what I don't understand!

Microsoft Creates Windows Phone 7 but never Has any of these apps Developed for it!

You would think, especially with Microsoft's Most successful Franchise(Halo), they would want some of these apps developed for Windows Phone right?! Its an Amazing Mobile OS, I won't go back to Android or Apple, I just don't understand why Microsoft never has anything like this developed for it.

We'd better get better app service with Windows Phone 8.

Edited by ZingZitang

This is what I don't understand!

Microsoft Creates Windows Phone 7 but never Has any of these apps Developed for it!

You would think, especially with Microsoft's Most successful Franchise(Halo), they would want some of these apps developed for Windows Phone right?! Its an Amazing Mobile OS, I won't go back to Android or Apple, I just don't understand why Microsoft never has anything like this developed for it.

We'd better get better app service with Windows Phone 8.

Holy shit man, this this this.

I'm not expecting too much more fan-service with the Windows 8 phones. People that were early adopters for a lot of the other windows 7 phones are still stuck in their upgrade contracts and unable to pick up the next gen. Meanwhile, Microsoft refuses to upgrade our phones to 7.8 until well after the 8 has had a decent enough launch party.

Microsoft makes pretty great products, but they're basically retarded when it comes to marketing and utilizing them effectively.

Fuck this, another app for apple users like the one for reach.

I have this on my Droid Bionic and it works just fine. The only problem is that the only 7-eleven that I know that's even relevantly close to me is 30 miles away. I'm not driving that far just to try and get some rewards. Why couldn't it be a Speedway, Walmart, Gamestop, places where there's at least 1 in a city.

This is especially annoying for me. I still have an old folding phone, as I believe phones are meant for talking. Not a portable media center. That's what my laptop is for. That aside, I've never seen a 7-11 in my life. There are none around me within a reasonable distance. Stuff like helmets should be unlocked in game. That's really the only thing I want from this, but I'll never be able to get it unless this is just a way to speed up the unlock rather than the only way to.

I went to the one in my town, walked in and scanned the soda and chips, then "became king of 7/11." Luckily I'm the only one on the app's leaderboards using this store. I thought it would reset who's king after every match (every 60 min.) So I'd have to attack from home, which is within laser range but have to waste time gathering supplies, or come back when I felt like it. But as I was leaving I figured since it was based off GPS that I'd only really have to be in the parking lot or just close to the building, not in the store itself. So I bought a bag and bottle just to hold onto in the car or whatever so I don't have to go in everytime and could hit other 7/11s with ease (although I didn't/have yet to test the distance you actually have to be.) When the next match started, it already said I was king and didn't have to attack. Guess you're continually king until someone dethrones you so it makes it easier to get to 100 captures for the helmet, little bit more than 4 days if you can manage to hold down one store. Obviously even less time with more stores under your control.

Summary:

-Once you are king, you're king till someone takes it from you and the points rack up without lifting a finger.

-Based off GPS so don't have to be in store and can continually use old products from car in parking lot. (May have to be parked very close, not confirmed.)

This contest is so fucking one-sided. The closet 7-11 to me is is almost 24 miles away and there are two more a little less than 30 miles away. It's a good thing I shit out that iPhone 5 a few topics ago. Now I just need to take a bus or give some road head for that awesome Locust helmet! :D

You can still use the scavenge supplies every 15 minutes it takes a lot longer but you'll get unlocks and stuff.

Seriously? Another American Double XP/free item exclusive event??

Agreed I'm getting sick of these exclusive deals. :mad:

Actually, it includes Canada too. Except they get the Ghost avatar prop instead of the Helmet.

Either way, it's a crappy promotion that only works on certain Apple devices and requires physical proximity to a specific store chain that isn't nation wide.

That's still way too much hassle for a vanity helmet. Hell, even if there was a close 7-11 the whole thing's too much hassle. I'ma do like the French, surrender.

Well I also got an emblem, a premium theme and Double XP. It only took me 30 min to set up, then I went to sleep and had the helmet by morning. Suit yourself, I'm just trying to help.