Challenges and Naming Convention

Creech

We are exploring ways to integrate challenges into the site in more ways, but for right now I have created a challenge discussion thread in each Xbox One game forum. There is also now a Challenge Discussion (non-game related) forum that can be found here.

I am seeing a rise in derogatory references to the Xbox One, so permit me to make our policy clear. We are a fan site, and while there may be things that can be improved about the Xbox One and we welcome that discussion, anyone who refers to the device as "Xbone" is going to have their post deleted. Feel free to use the report feature if you see one that the moderators miss.

Thanks.

Edit - due to vast amounts of feedback, I take back everything I said about Xbone.

Edited by Creech

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly did not realize that way of referring to our new system is bothering some people. I actually like it. What would be the forum-friendly recommended alternative? X1? XBO? One?

Yeah, I didn't even really think of it as a derogatory comment. I guess I see it now though, if I am thinking of it the right way. Maybe my mind is just in the gutter though lol. Kinda a stupid term to make fun of the One, if they were using to make fun of the One anyways.

I am seeing a rise in derogatory references to the Xbox One, so permit me to make our policy clear. We are a fan site, and while there may be things that can be improved about the Xbox One and we welcome that discussion, anyone who refers to the device as "Xbone" is going to have their post deleted. Feel free to use the report feature if you see one that the moderators miss.

Best news I've heard in a long time! Always hated that name for it. I simply use XB1. 3 letters, like 360 and simply. None offensive (in a way) to.

Edited by Nozza

Thanks for the heads up Creech, I look forward to discussing future clubs :)

I love the Xbox One and I still prefer to type Xbone. Before deleting this comment, you should consider revising that particular policy.

Should probably switch to XB1 or X1 as it is still viewed as negative to the overall community.

I use "X1" personally. But I think they all get the point across.

The bigger issue with us trying to rid the forums of "xbone" moving forward is the reporters for the front page news refusing to stop using it in their stories/titles/comments. All staff (both forum and news) need to set a better example to help bring it to a stop.

The bigger issue with us trying to rid the forums of "xbone" moving forward is the reporters for the front page news refusing to stop using it in their stories/titles/comments. All staff (both forum and news) need to set a better example to help bring it to a stop.

Why should they have to stop? It's just a silly policy to censor people's abbreviations of the console name. Removing actual trolling/senseless bashing of the system makes sense, but limiting what people are allowed to call the system does not.

Why should they have to stop? It's just a silly policy to censor people's abbreviations of the console name. Removing actual trolling/senseless bashing of the system makes sense, but limiting what people are allowed to call the system does not.

Just because you don't find the abbreviation to be derogatory doesn't mean others aren't offended by it. Microsoft as a whole has said they find it offensive. Many members have complained about it on this site through various means. I don't have a problem with the policy, quite the opposite in fact, my point was that the site as a whole should enforce it not just the forums.

FYI- the abbreviation derived from the debacle that was Microsoft's original DRM policies and announcement of the new system. It doesn't matter if it's used in a derogatory manor at this point in time. The word itself is derogatory. There's many words that fall under that category, so this shouldn't be something new.

That's the first thing I thought of too, but are you sure the front page guys didn't get the same message? I checked every article in the first page of the news archive, not a single reference to xbone. I remember one front page writer in particular overusing the term more than anyone else. So I checked all of his articles 5 pages back, nothing, no use of the term. I'd only come across them saying "xbone" in one recent article, and that was the Q&A, and every time the term was used it was when a member of the public used it in their question.

I'm personally not a fan of the term, if you need to abbreviate there's shorter one's out there (x1, xb1, xo, etc.). As far as I'm concerned there's no legitimate reason to use it, and I'm happy to see some action being taken, always nice to see some standards being upheld.

That's the first thing I thought of too, but are you sure the front page guys didn't get the same message? I checked every article in the first page of the news archive, not a single reference to xbone. I remember one front page writer in particular overusing the term more than anyone else. So I checked all of his articles 5 pages back, nothing, no use of the term. I'd only come across them saying "xbone" in one recent article, and that was the Q&A, and every time the term was used it was when a member of the public used it in their question.

I'm personally not a fan of the term, if you need to abbreviate there's shorter one's out there (x1, xb1, xo, etc.). As far as I'm concerned there's no legitimate reason to use it, and I'm happy to see some action being taken, always nice to see some standards being upheld.

It had been awhile since I looked, but the last time was the 15th in the "blurb":

Xbox One's Downloadable Titles Have 1000 Gamerscore: Confirmed

Written Friday, November 15, 2013 By Richard Walker

It's official. All your downloadable Xbone games will have 1000G.

Page link:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/archive/gaming-news/4/

I did stop looking at the X1 articles due to its overuse, so I just wanted to make sure it stops entirely. I'm happy to enforce this new rule though. :)

I don't understand how "Xbone" is even a proper abbreviation for the Xbox One anyways, whether one is using it to poke jokes at the system or not. So even for those arguing that they don't like this policy, why would you abbreviate a 7 letter word to a 5 letter word when you can just type X1...which SHOULD be the universal abbreviation for it...So yeah, I like this policy, but not because I ever found the term derogatory, but because the term was just plain stupid.

Note taken. It all depends on how you use it though. 'XB' then 'One' does essentially mean Xbox One. But if we're going to ban things like this I think fanboy comments like 'Sony Pony' and 'SDF' should be banned too. I get we're all fans but we shouldn't allow things like this either.

I'm all for this since name calling in general shouldn't even be allowed.

I don't understand how "Xbone" is even a proper abbreviation for the Xbox One anyways, whether one is using it to poke jokes at the system or not. So even for those arguing that they don't like this policy, why would you abbreviate a 7 letter word to a 5 letter word when you can just type X1...which SHOULD be the universal abbreviation for it...So yeah, I like this policy, but not because I ever found the term derogatory, but because the term was just plain stupid.

Exactly. I've used X1 since day 1.

Exactly. I've used X1 since day 1.

If only the rest of the world was like us :/

----

Also, for the Mods, not sure if this was already brought up, but I found a few "Xbones" being thrown around in this article:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-16768-Call-of-Duty--Ghosts-is-the-Number-One-Best-Selling-and-Most-Played-Game.html

Edited by BiggD

Seems like more and more people are getting really sensitive around here. Not sure what the deal is but I was joking when I referred to "The Xbox One" as you know what. The fact that it needed to be address and now censored is completely ridiculous. I've said way worse in a joking matter with out anyone else batting an eye.

Last time I checked a bone is what makes up your skeleton.

Edited by Carmona

Xbone is actually a contraction of Xbox One in that it combines parts of both related words to form a shorter word that means the same thing as the two separate words in sequence.

A contraction is a form of abbreviation because it performs a similar function: shortening a longer term. From Wikipedia: "A contraction is an abbreviation, but an abbreviation is not necessarily a contraction."

Xbone is really three characters shorter than Xbox One because the space is a character that must be typed. It also involves pressing the Shift key one less time, so that's four keystrokes saved. However, the allure of contractions is not necessarily how many fewer characters they contain than the unshortened words. "Didn't" is only one character shorter than "Did not." The advantage of Xbone over Xbox One is that it's one syllable shorter, the same as most commonly used contractions. It is faster and easier to pronounce.

There is nothing stupid about creating a new and reasonable contraction for a pair of words that will be frequently spoken together for years to come. Xbone is not the only possible shortening of Xbox One. However, it is more suitable than X1 because an entertainment device named X1 already exists. Taking things a step further, X1 can mean more than 20 different things. There is no danger of confusing Xbone with another product.

Edited by eastx

Not going to lie, it's a little ridiculous that we're discussing this. Who cares if I call the console the "xbone"? By adding this rule we're reinforcing the idea that people have the right to get upset over every little thing. If saying "xbone" offends someone then the problem is the person that's offended, not the person who said it. The word is not inherently offensive like the n-word, so we shouldn't treat it as such.

The fact that Microsoft finds it disrespectful isn't much of a reason either. I'm sure it's also considered disrespectful to refer to them as M$, yet that seems to be perfectly fine.

How about we stop worrying about stupid shit like what the proper shortform for the console should be and just enjoy the damn thing?

As far as I'm aware the only person at MS who said he found it disrespectful was Major Nelson, other MS people have said that they have no problem with it in interviews and on twitter. Including Phil Harrison I believe.

The guy who originally coined it was Dan Maher, the guy who used to do the Inside Xbox shows on the dashboard (MrPointyHead) and he only did it as a fun aside, and then it took off.

Honestly do not see why this is such a big deal.

I'm sorry, but I'm with the pro-xbone people, Creech...

I mean, are we really treating this entertainment device like it has feelings? This is not the N-word, or slurs against Asians or Gays or something. It's a silly nickname for a piece of electronics.

Anyway, I also created a new sub-forum for App Achievements, since those are technically different from Challenges in the actual video games.