Game Mode Discussion (Hardcore, Classic, Impossible, Retro)

Clueless

Anyone else find 8 bit mode to be a let down?

It's not 8-bit. It's just a shitty filter that essentially makes the entire game look like terrible FMV sequences from the nineties. Nothing really "retro" about that. I do kinda like the animation lag with doors/characters/etc. But I was seriously hoping for something much cooler than this. I suppose I got my hopes up when they (the dead space facebook page) posted fan art of classic mega man reskinned to look like Isaac with a plasma cutter. That would've been so incredible.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst/scariest part about solo Impossible and Pure Survival was running low on resources and thinking you might have to start all over again. Horrifying.

At the final checkpoint before the leap to the Blood Moon on PS, if someone joins my game at this point will they get Survivalist too? May as well help spread the love.

ED: Can confirm this is a NO. Only counts as completion of Chapter 19.

WTF at the people insisting they're being one-shot killed on PS/HXC/Classic. I was taking multiple hits from pretty much everything on Impossible.

Only things guaranteed to ruin your shit were:

RPGs

Shotguns at point blank range

Fans (I don't want to talk about it)

The Snowbeast hitting you and it counting as two hits for whatever reason

Oh FWIW, if you're running low on health in PS. Hit the Suit Kiosk up and purchase an upgrade. You're health should be back to max when you exit the kiosk.

It might my RIG upgrades only, but I just upgraded my *AIR* only and I was back to max health.

Good for saving the Med Kits for the important battles.

Edited by Hurricane Of 87

The worst/scariest part about solo Impossible and Pure Survival was running low on resources and thinking you might have to start all over again. Horrifying.

At the final checkpoint before the leap to the Blood Moon on PS, if someone joins my game at this point will they get Survivalist too? May as well help spread the love.

WTF at the people insisting they're being one-shot killed on PS/HXC/Classic. I was taking multiple hits from pretty much everything on Impossible.

Only things guaranteed to ruin your shit were:

RPGs

Shotguns at point blank range

Fans (I don't want to talk about it)

The Snowbeast hitting you and it counting as two hits for whatever reason

I'll join up on your game if you want to try and give it a shot.

The problem I had was the running while everything was falling apart on the way to the Machine. I kept dying for no goddamn reason. And this was on Casual.

EDIT: I just joined Hurricane of 87 for the final boss fight and can confirm that you will NOT get the achievement if you haven't finished the rest of the chapters.

Edited by xhunterrrr

But even when I was moving as fast as possible, I would die randomly. It was so strange.

That area is precisely why I'm gonna back up my hardcore save in CH19. I really wanna do this legit, but I'm not gonna risk all that progress due to a random instadeath that doesn't seem to have any sort of pattern to it.

That happened to me also, I'm pretty sure you are timed so you have to keep moving. I just use the force gun and keep all necros down.

Are You talking about the beginning of Chapter 19?.. There is a big blizzard/tornado that is following you: it always one-shot kills you and it's really fast and close to Isaac... So run away!

The first safe area is where You find a work bench and a store.

Edited by alexZ IT

Do the weapons in classic mode have the same damage potential as they did in dead space 1/2 or are they as gimped as in the other game modes of dead space 3?

I can surely say NO for the Plasma Cutter. It's only useful within the first few chapters but then when you get overrun by a shitload of Necromorphs you can throw it away and yeah Statis won't help you there either.

The Contact Beam is great though and very reliable when it comes to crowd control. I feel the same damage and power when I used it as in DS1+DS2.

Then again I only used the EVANGELIZER (pre-order) for my Classic run. Can't say much for the other weapons.

Edited by JuSt BLaZe

Are You talking about the beginning of Chapter 19?.. There is a big blizzard/tornado that is following you: it always one-shot kills you and it's really fast and close to Isaac... So run away!

The first safe area is where You find a work bench and a store.

I think that the area after the flight section might be 'safe' until you move past a certain point. But you could just pause the game if you need a breather.

Xhunter mentioned something yesterday about Hardcore mode and was wondering if there's any confirmation for it.

He said if the non-host dies, then the game ends for both players but it acts as a 'save and quit' for the host. So you aren't sent packing back to the prologue for some else's blooper.

Sounds too good to be true, but if true then P2 could be used as a canary of sorts.

I think that the area after the flight section might be 'safe' until you move past a certain point. But you could just pause the game if you need a breather.

Xhunter mentioned something yesterday about Hardcore mode and was wondering if there's any confirmation for it.

He said if the non-host dies, then the game ends for both players but it acts as a 'save and quit' for the host. So you aren't sent packing back to the prologue for some else's blooper.

Sounds too good to be true, but if true then P2 could be used as a canary of sorts.

I heard this from someone else, but I haven't played Hardcore yet, so I can't confirm it.

Any solid way to do the final room of Chapter 15? It's after you assemble Rosetta.

5 Blackened non-running necros, then about 6 Unitoligist soldiers. Then when you run to the exit door two rocket troopers appear, once you kill one of them a whole bunch of spaz/twitchers appear (6-10). There's a small section where you can go the immediate left of the rocket troopers building where they'll all filter in but you'll still get hit a bunch and they're too close to use explosives.

Can confirm the game autosaves on Hardcore so you won't be set too far back if you suffer a power cut. :woop:

Any solid way to do the final room of Chapter 15? It's after you assemble Rosetta.

5 Blackened non-running necros, then about 6 Unitoligist soldiers. Then when you run to the exit door two rocket troopers appear, once you kill one of them a whole bunch of spaz/twitchers appear (6-10). There's a small section where you can go the immediate left of the rocket troopers building where they'll all filter in but you'll still get hit a bunch and they're too close to use explosives.

Can confirm the game autosaves on Hardcore so you won't be set too far back if you suffer a power cut. :woop:

Once the two rocket troopers appear, take them out ASAP, then just deal with the twitchers with the force gun. It's pretty hectic on the harder difficulties, so make sure you have a good amount of health packs just in case. Force gun helps out a lot, I find it a necessity.

Confirmation:

Go past chapter 5 on Hardcore yesterday. Save and Quit.

Joined someone's co-op game as P2 (Carver) and we started towards the end of chapter 5. Died in the flames at the end of chapter 6 and it's sent my Hardcore progress back to 0%.

So dying in HXC as P2 definitely resets P2's progress. Wasn't sent a hate filled message by P1, but that doesn't really count as confirmation of their progress.

The quest to get off disc 1 continues.

Confirmation:

Go past chapter 5 on Hardcore yesterday. Save and Quit.

Joined someone's co-op game as P2 (Carver) and we started towards the end of chapter 5. Died in the flames at the end of chapter 6 and it's sent my Hardcore progress back to 0%.

So dying in HXC as P2 definitely resets P2's progress. Wasn't sent a hate filled message by P1, but that doesn't really count as confirmation of their progress.

The quest to get off disc 1 continues.

I'll play Hardcore with you, if you want a partner. Can't guarantee no deaths on my end, though.

^_^

Hardcore tips:

Complete a Pure Survival playthrough beforehand, this'll give you access to MK-II Overclocked frames, tips and attachments and a "One time resource supply" which'll help you upgrade 3 out of the 4 Hit Points at the first Suit Kiosk.

At the first Suit Kiosk switch to the Engineering Suit. This'll give you 25 inventory slots whereas the EVA Suit just has 20.

Use the Safe. A lot. Typically I freed up 7 inventory slots before venturing off again. You can always bring stuff back out of the safe if you're getting your arse kicked or keep it there until you approach the necessary resources needed for an upgrade, then go and break them down.

Don't be afraid to backtrack for ScavBot pickups. If you die you're going back a couple of hours, so what's another 5 minutes?

You can run through the first 3 enemy sections on Chapter 13: Cliffs Of Volantis since there's no doors blocking your way out. Save time/ammo.

Weapon of Choice:

Top weapon: Chain Gun (Telemetry Spike + Diffraction Torus)

Lower weapon: Seeker Rifle (Military Engine + Precision Tip)

Attachment 1: Stasis Amplifier

Attachment 2: Stasis Coating

Had a Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter sidearm for those places with numerous enemies where a quick reload is preferred to massive firepower. Pretty much any Feeder area.

The chain gun has a gigantic clip and sprays in the general area you point the weapon so great if you're not so accurate.

The those bullets that hit will slow the enemies down to a crawl with stasis coating

This increases your accuracy and confidence for the Seeker Rifle shot which puts down most enemies in one/two shots.

Also perfect for stopping those Chapter 19 tentacles waving about and putting them down quickly.

Enjoy. ;)

The gun reticule is slightly off-center of the screen as it was in DS1.

More specifically, the aiming reticule is a light beam that comes directly off the weapon(s) you are holding instead of being a dot overlaid on top of the screen.

This aiming mode is available in ALL game modes under the Game Settings menu. The default is set to center.

Edited by nel e nel

Game is good

No Its a waist

Contact Beam Sucks Mate

One post is all you need for this.

At the first Suit Kiosk switch to the Engineering Suit. This'll give you 25 inventory slots whereas the EVA Suit just has 20.

I was wondering about this and why I suddenly ended up with 5 more slots!

Contact Beam Sucks Mate

Double/Triple post sucks too mate, learn the forum-rules/to edit your posts or GTFO:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=180508

Currently on my classic run and I'm almost at the part with the regenerating dudes

any tactics to survive this part properly?

Shoot their limbs as fast as you can so they start to regenerate in combination with STASIS in case you will get overrun and exit the section as soon as you can. Watching a few YT videos also helps. Which part are you talking about, since there are more than one spots where you get overrun by them!?

Edited by JuSt BLaZe