It's Officially Been Announced.

BloodGodAlucard

Yep, Kotaku has their "What we do and do not" know page up too!

The confirmed part I am 50/50 on:

There will be an online or multiplayer component. No specifics have bubbled up yet, but Dragon Age III is guaranteed to have some kind of online or multiplayer element. Not only is EA actively and publicly putting online "universes" behind all of its games and series, but also lead writer David Gaider has confirmed as much on the forums.
That's a big BUT there.

Typical EA. Forcing a dev to shoehorn an MP/online component into it. The only two ways I see this working in an RPG like Dragon Age is ::

1) co-op short term quests/raids which may or may not be fun, 20-30 minutes like mini-side quests, just no pizza deliveries please. Fetch quests are already too pervasive in the regular storylines of RPGs and Mass Effect 3's MP. We don't need to deliver fertility idols to some nameless high-born NPC in Orlais too.

2) P2P trading/online market (got 12,000,742,365 in gold and want to buy an epic helm with pink wings, magic +1, stamina +500 and sexual persuasion +1000 for a weekend panty raid on Isabella and her friends? Well that Druid Werewolf over there has one for sale)

I do NOT want a PvP competitive MP, or a WoW clone.

Stoked for this game. Loved DAO and did enjoy DA2 even though it got a little tedious... okay a LOT tedious by the end of the 4th run. Lets hope they mix it up here, make the good better and toss the boring stuff.

Edited by Opiate42

Son of a bitch EA. Stop forcing multiplayer into every damn game you publish. There better not be a Mass Effect style "Galaxy at War" cross connection between multiplayer and single player where you're forced to play the multiplayer to get the best ending of the game. (I know they fixed that with Extended Cut.) But it should have been like that to begin with. I just don't like it when a story driven game developer is forced to take resources that could be spent on making the core game better and wasting them on multiplayer that no one wants to begin with. I guess it could be worse. They could be forcing motion controllers into Dragon Age. *Shudders at the thought.*

Origins is one of my favourite 360 games, and I liked the second one as well. However, bow that Muzyka and Zeschuk have been smoked out of Bioware, and the announcements I read here, my interest is plummeting. I'll get DA:III at some point - I get everything, including Two Worlds, that's labelled RPG - but it won't be a Day 1 purchase as the series used to be. :(

I like that Dragon Age 3 is being done! Good times. I do not however like the notion of multiplayer that much. Granted the MP for Mass Effect 3 could have been worse than it was but it still didn't really add anything (in my opinion). I also found it a bit boring after a while and I still had to play it in order to get the best ending.

Oh, and I also hope that they will give us more than basically one location in DA3. I really liked DA2 but the locations got old after awhile.

I dont even see how (without changing the core game mechanics) they could even fit multiplayer in unless it was some small shitty throwaway thing like an arena because the game is built around being a single player adventure

Exactly my thoughts. There simply shouldn't be multiplayer in this franchise. EA are horrible about forcing multiplayer into every franchise they publish. The reasoning behind it is quite simple. They want to force there stupid online pass into every damn game in existence. I never have had a problem with this system honestly. That's because I buy all of my games new anyway. But now it's getting to be complete bullshit. You shouldn't force a horrible tacked on mode into a game just so you can screw your consumers out of an extra $10 dollars later. It's despicable. Especially since the money Bioware wastes no this crap could be spent on strengthening the core game. There better not be a single recycled area in this entire game. If they're going to throw away thousands of dollars making stupid multiplayer modes that no one wants, then they obviously had more than enough in their development budget to make more unique environments.

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of stuff really infuriates it. Especially when it happens to one of my favorite franchises.

• 3 months later...

Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favorite games. I preordered DA2 and basically stopped playing it after getting to the intial city because I was extremely dissapointed. Now I hear news of DA3 that looks promising, until the mention of multiplayer. Until I receive more information regarding the MP this will not be a preorder. Assassins Creed and Mass Effect were both great games without MP, AC was ruined by it and ME3 could have done without it.

Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favorite games. I preordered DA2 and basically stopped playing it after getting to the intial city because I was extremely dissapointed. Now I hear news of DA3 that looks promising, until the mention of multiplayer. Until I receive more information regarding the MP this will not be a preorder. Assassins Creed and Mass Effect were both great games without MP, AC was ruined by it and ME3 could have done without it.

i love how you say initial city like there was more than one :D just proves you really did stop there

Loved Origins, also greatly enjoying Dragon Age 2. It is not as amazing as the first, but I still think it's a good game. In some aspects I actually enjoyed it more. So I am super excited for Dragon Age 3! sounds like it will be an awesome mix of both games. I will likely buy it on release day.

I still haven't played Dragon Age. I'll wait for the inevitable all in one pack

That's a really poor choice in my opinion. You'll be postponing playing some of the best games of this generation. Plus there's no guarantee any such package will ever be released. It's ultimately your choice. I just think it's a bad one. :p

Well, it won't be a day 1 buy for me (especially if it comes out for the next generation consoles since I won't have one of those right away either) but I'm sure I'll pick it up down the road. I'm not going to instantly hate on the idea of multiplayer since I ended up loving it in ME3. As long as they do like ME3 and not require any multiplayer gameplay for achievements then I'll be fine with it. Just don't give us a silly over-the-top boss fight at the end like DA2 did.

• 1 month later...
Yep, Kotaku has their "What we do and do not" know page up too!

The confirmed part I am 50/50 on:

That's a big BUT there.

Typical EA. Forcing a dev to shoehorn an MP/online component into it. The only two ways I see this working in an RPG like Dragon Age is ::

1) co-op short term quests/raids which may or may not be fun, 20-30 minutes like mini-side quests, just no pizza deliveries please. Fetch quests are already too pervasive in the regular storylines of RPGs and Mass Effect 3's MP. We don't need to deliver fertility idols to some nameless high-born NPC in Orlais too.

2) P2P trading/online market (got 12,000,742,365 in gold and want to buy an epic helm with pink wings, magic +1, stamina +500 and sexual persuasion +1000 for a weekend panty raid on Isabella and her friends? Well that Druid Werewolf over there has one for sale)

I do NOT want a PvP competitive MP, or a WoW clone.

Stoked for this game. Loved DAO and did enjoy DA2 even though it got a little tedious... okay a LOT tedious by the end of the 4th run. Lets hope they mix it up here, make the good better and toss the boring stuff.

Why short term co op? I'd love to be able to play through entire RPG's with my co op partner.

Why short term co op? I'd love to be able to play through entire RPG's with my co op partner.

Honestly I enjoy Co-Op with my friends too. But I don't like it when it's included in RPGs. (Unless it's something like Borderlands.) That's not because playing with friends isn't fun. It just distracts from the story too much for me. I personally feel that RPGs are meant to be single player games with amazing stories that enthrall the gamer. I want to get lost in the games lore and characters without distractions. But that's just personal preference. I could easily not play with friends if they included it.

I really hope they don't though since the combat system in this game wouldn't really work with multiple players. It's designed where you're supposed to use strategy and tactics while managing multiple characters at once. It'd be less interesting if there were other people controlling the companion characters. So Co-Op is completely out of place in Dragon Age in my opinion.

PvP is an even worse idea to me since the combat system isn't balanced enough. And even if it was, I just don't think it would be fun. It definitely wouldn't hold a candle to a proper PvP game like Dark Souls anyway. :p

I think it would be best if BioWare focused all of their time and resources on doing what they do best, crafting excellent stories with amazing characters. Leave multiplayer out of your games. It's for the best of the genre. Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen that way since EA is Hell-bent on forcing MP into every game they publish. :mad: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Not that I'm complaining but I'd thought this was supposed to be released as an xbox one game?

That was never stated by the developers. There might have been a rumor saying that. But I can't recall it. Honestly BioWare have been extremely quiet about this game so far. We haven't seen anything from them since they released those few concept art pictures a while ago. Hopefully that all changes next week at E3. The game is supposed to come out in 2013. So we should definitely see something solid then. If not then they'll probably announced a delay and that they're doing so because they want to put it on the next generation platforms.

I actually think that's the reason we haven't seen anything about Dragon Age 3 yet as far as actual gameplay. They did say at one point that they were going to use the Frostbite 2.0 engine. Then there was another statement/rumor (can't remember which it was) that they were instead designing a brand new engine from the ground up for the game. So at this point it's anyone's guess what's fact and what's fiction.

I personally am keeping my hopes high that the game will be shown in all it's glory next week, and that we finally get a concrete 2013 release date. (Preferably on next gen consoles and PC.) :)