Where is the Ol Skool?

IMF G3NGH15 KH4N

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the gameplay in the recent trailer, it looks very decenet graphically and sounds great. The way the helmet cam moves around the check the mirrors is a nice touch. I hope it is as good as it looks at the moment. I shall be supporting this title up until the moment the world tells me it's rubbish. But we can hope.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Historically, they've rotated years , one year being something like the 'shift' variant (track racing, etc), the next being something like the underground/hp variant (open road, storyline). This is the first (calendar) year they've done both, with HP in November (which sucked horribly), and Shift in March.

I LOVED Underground, Underground 2, and have owned every one of the NFS games since the original HP2 came out. I'd love to say that the new HP was great, but, well, it sucks for a variety of reasons I won't go into here.

Shift, on the other hand was just awesome. I'm still working my way through everything, and can't wait for #2!!

• 1 month later...

Did you know that the first NFS game was released around the mid-90's (3DO in 1994, PC DOS in 1995, PSX/Saturn in 1996)? I wouldn't call Underground 2 (which is the 8th game in the saga) "old school".

And I loved Shift. I even got 1000G on it.

I also enjoyed the old Undergrounds and Most Wanted and with the new Hot Pursuit EA and Criterion showed us a brilliant way to recover some good old classics. Shift on the other hand is a complete different kind of racing game and I like those simulation/realistic based racers even more, also the cockpit view in Shift was amazing, can't wait to see these Helmet Cam view in Shift 2.

Most Wanted, Carbon, and Undercover were all exactly like Underground 1 and 2 except with law enforcement. I guess Shift is kinda like Underground 2 since Underground 2 included URL events, which took place on race tracks rather than on the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't still have them, but have played every NFS since the original - the best one to me is still Porsche Unleashed - and it's also my first example of how EA fails to deliver on their promises of post-release support, but that's a different topic. I have to say that the gameplay in the Underground games was sort of OK, but the 'tuner scene' they focused on just doesn't really appeal to me much.

I'd love to see a modern Ferrari equivalent of the NFS PU game, though - and the name would suit EA's policy towards their customers. Just think - EA Presents . . . Need for Speed FU!