Best Class & Talents For Divnity Beginner

I have been trying to read as much as I can on classes and talents from people who have played the game and haven't come across too much. I am new to this game and would like to know based on opinions of people who have already played and/or beaten the game on what they think is the best class and talents to use for someone starting out. I would really like to have fun my first time around and enjoy killing/questing and an optimal level.

Should I take xp or gold as my reward for doing quests?

Should I always mind read people at the cost of xp or only select certain people to mind read?

Which class is easier to make it through the game the first time around?

Thanks in advance to any and all :)

Personally i played through Ego Draconis about halfway as a warrior and felt supremely gimped. Started over as a mage and it was a lot more fun and seemed easier. I got the 1k on Ego Draconis using this build and am playing DKS with it again.

I prefer to play on normal or hard if there isn't a difficulty achievement. This is the build I use as a mage

Battle Spells:

Magic Missile : Main attack level up as much as possible

Fireball: After playing tonight for a few hours double checking this post I originally was going to say leave fireball alone. But until you get your battle tower and can up the cap on magic missiles Fireball is really helpful. Especially if you get lucky like i did and find a +2 fireball item. You get 1 free point in fireball when you pick mage i would recommend dropping AT LEAST 1 more into it at some point before level 8. Once you get to the Tower you can respec away from it if you want.

Magic Blast: Lot of people think its a waste but its pretty powerful starting out and once u get it maxed it pretty much turns into a instant gank attack. As I mentioned a second ago, when i was double checking my post magic blast can probably be almost ignored until you hit your tower. Magic Missiles and a Fireball will wreak some havoc. Probably wait on this till you get to the tower and can respec.

Firewall: Super helpful on the battles where you have a lot of melee coming at you

Those are the main attacks naturally you can kind of tailor it to your own playstyle. Magic Missiles feels like a roller coaster. its damage goes up then falls down then goes back up till you hit 14 and can get the 3 missiles. At that point it will possibly become the spell u use 90% of the time.

Passive Skills:

Lock pick: Definitely want it if you want to be able to loot stuff

Mindread: Personally the amount of Exp it reduces on cost seems negligible especially if you take exp awards 90% of the time like i do. But if you mind read everybody probably ought to take it

Destruction: Uhhhh yeah max it

Mana Efficiency: Is useful drop points in it when you have nothing else to upgrade.

Mana Leech: I think the name is correct its the skill where you leech mana when you do melee attacks.

State Wise:

Spirit: Large Mana Pool is a good thing. Until you hit around 32 spirit or so focus almost exclusively on Spirit. Till I hit 32 i was doing 3 spirit 1 int every level.

Intellect: Once you get to 32 spirit start popping up Int. As it increased your Magic Damage and the rate you regen mana it is definately one of your primary stats. Once you hit 30 or so int you can afford to stop popping points into Vit.

Vitality: Unlike some RPG's like Dragon Age you dont really have an effective tank so more HP in DKS is a plus. Once your spirit hits 32-35 you can start dropping points into Int and Vit instead of Int and Spirit. It really depends on your play style difficulty and luck you have with items.

Gear wise you want to keep an eye out for things that add to max mana/hp and any of the aforementioned skills, ESPECIALLY MAGIC MISSILES!! Also remember that for the first few hours of the game even a mage with no strength does a pretty decent amount of damage with melee.

Strategy:

Spam magic missiles on everything if melee get close drop a firewall.On Bosses hit them with magic blast then missiles.

Feel free to ask any questions

Edited by W1cked Seraph

I have been trying to read as much as I can on classes and talents from people who have played the game and haven't come across too much. I am new to this game and would like to know based on opinions of people who have already played and/or beaten the game on what they think is the best class and talents to use for someone starting out. I would really like to have fun my first time around and enjoy killing/questing and an optimal level.

Should I take xp or gold as my reward for doing quests?

Should I always mind read people at the cost of xp or only select certain people to mind read?

Which class is easier to make it through the game the first time around?

Thanks in advance to any and all :)

The above post answers the class question. as to the others....

XP and Gold for quests: I usually take EXP the gold is usually negligible and item rewards that are worth it are few and far between though there are a few on some of the larger story quests that I believe can throw you some legendary and artifact type rewards. Naturally keep an eye out for those. Unless you are hurting for gold which shouldn't happen as upgrading armor every level is a waste EXP is your best bet

Mind Reading: AS a rule of thumb If a person has a high mind reading cost it's USUALLY worth it. There are of course exceptions to that rule. I would recommend looking at a FAQ somewhere that tells you who does what. You can get stat and skill points from mind reading. I believe Gamefaqs has one in one of the walkthroughs for Ego Draconis

Killing and questing is a requirement in this game. If you don't do as many quests as you can and kill anything that moves for the most part when you hit the mile marker halfway point you are gonna be in trouble. Even if you are on easy the enemies will outstrip you eventually if you are just doing the main quests

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend putting points into wisdom if you dont have gear with stats for it. not a whole lot of points are required, but when you get the orobas, the extra couple hundred exp per kill on trash mobs like goblins goes a long way.

I recommend putting points into wisdom if you dont have gear with stats for it. not a whole lot of points are required, but when you get the orobas, the extra couple hundred exp per kill on trash mobs like goblins goes a long way.

I wouldn't worry about it at all unless you find a piece of gear with it by the time you get to orobos you should be around lvl 20 anyway that's with mind reading regularly. Wisdom is really wasted unless you are following a walkthrough and locating every skill book and mindread that gives skill points. In which case you probably have a few extras. Lockpicking and Mindread are a better choice than wisdom

• 5 months later...

Playing as a mage in this playthrough. I was lucky and have a 5/5 on wisdom with items, it def comes in handy.

Fireball - Is a great skill at high levels when facing large mobs in proximity. The damage output on level 10+ is about 2x magic missles, and can hit every enemy. Coupled with firewall and spamming magic missles can reduce mobs quite quickly. The only downside is the recharge time, and rocks/walls/etc can block the blast.

• 2 years later...

Just finished the game a few days ago, and went a different route than some of the posts on here, so I thought I'd chime in.

First, I did invest in Wisdom and Mindread. If I were playing again, I'd prioritize upgrading my Skills Trainer to access Level 15 as soon as possible, and keep investing in them until these two until they were maxed. Mindread @ Level 15 costs 0 exp each time.

My rationale is that skill points can be redistributed at any time (for a cost), but exp is a limited commodity. If I squeeze an extra level or two out of that extra exp, that's 2 extra skill points that I wouldn't otherwise have. I ended DKS at level 46.

I opted for a Ranger class, and invested in Explosive Arrows, a second skill that I varied (I liked Poison arrows because it knocked back bad guys), and Summon Demon. For a lot of fights, I could just summon my creature and the demon, jump around and avoid bad guys and let them do most of the work, occasionally firing an explosive arrow.