I have to say....

ghostx30

That after having just completed this DLC, I don't think it's as bad as so many people made it out to be. Sure the alarms could be a pain in the ass from time to time, and you are forced to use caution in the earlier stages especially, as stimpacks and doctor bags are at a premium. But once you get into it, by the time you set off the Gala and enter the Sierra Madre, the game picks up and becomes quite fun, in my opinion. No, it's not the best DLC ever made, and I am a bit tired of looking at the color red, but I thought it was enjoyable and ould give it a solid 7.5, overall. Anyway, that's just my observation. I did it first because I was dreading it after all I heard, and ended up pleasantly surprised.

It's nice to hear some kind words for this DLC for once. It's my favorite fallout DLC for certain. The writing and the characters were excellent, top-notch voice acting, lots of great back story and a unique atmosphere.

The gameplay was very enjoyable and it isn't very hard if you take your time and scan your surroundings.

I definitely enjoyed having all my gear removed at the beginning as it is one of the few times in the fallout games where you had to scavenge and utilize anything you could find and I felt that the ghost people were tough but a fair challenge. One of my big issues with OWB was that everything, even the protectrons, were bullet sponges, especially on the highest difficulty setting and this problem was probably caused by the devs trying to balance the fact that you could bring all your uber-guns and armor into the DLC.

I don't think it's hard if you think before you act and listen to what your companions have to say (they all give plenty of advice on how to avoid the hazards of the Sierra Madre) but DM refuses to hold your hand; God's line in the police department about your pip-boy being a chain around your wrist and Elijah's line in the vault about your pip-boy being a crutch that dulls the brain and tells you what to do are the devs intentional stabs at the hand-holding and over-simplification of games nowadays.

The two big reasons why many seem to hate this DLC were a) it wasn't a sandbox with a focus on exploration and b) it wasn't a run'n'gun, ego-stroking (a game that intentionally makes you feel like an over-powered bad-ass e.g. Skyrim or Fallout 3), bombastic thrill ride which is what many have come to expect/demand of the fallout games rather than intelligent, often witty writing and meaningful, morally grey choices and consequences.

I agree it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I enjoyed it. Once I figured out how to turn off the alarms that helped me it enjoy it...

Well said, guys. I agree. Once you know where to go and where not to and how long you can get away with the beeping, then it's a pretty easy ride. Trust me, after having been a regular poster on the Dark Souls forums, I can tell you that people go fucking berserk if they have to face the slightest challenge or difficulty to get their gamerscore. I mean, c"mon, every game can't be Madden. :D Then again, we live in a world of disposable gaming where most people play the game, get their achievements, and then never touch it again. I just can't wrap my head around that logic. In fact, I enjoy a break from "achievement hunting" to just sit back, relax, and play the game for the games sake, not because I'm going to be rewarded with something that doesn't mean a thing in the real world.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I completed this DLC first, only 3 hours after the game started. I entered with no items, like everyone else, at a low level. I had no trouble in this dlc at all with HP or items. I went melee as well. Although I did blow up quite a few times, I saved often. I used the cosmic knife until I was able to make the heated version. One you get chips, stims are not an issue at all.

It was a bit tedious, and it was the only DLC I didn't find the snowglobe for, since the poison and the miles of the same winding scenery did make it less fun.

• 2 weeks later...