Omg hope needs to DIE!!

Optomistic

Just a rant, I've nearly finished chapter 7.

I'm soo sick of hope whining like a bitch, but what gets me is everyone treating him like a little baby with a mummy complex.

I don't know how the rest of the story is gonna go, but I am sick to death of him already....and there's more hours to endure. Ugh!!!

I'm soo sick of hope whining like a bitch, but what gets me is everyone treating him like a little baby with a mummy complex.

Amen.

Doing missions in chapter 11 now, so no story and no whiny Hope, but I remember him being annoying in chapter 10 and the beginning of 11.

Never has there been a character in any FF game I played (IV-X, XII-XIII), that I hated more.:mad: Disliked some? Sure. But Hope is the only one I truly can't stand. Won't even use him in battle, although I know he's quite good.

Aaah, I really needed to let this out...

Edited by STOMACHofSTEEL

In the last Star Ocean game, the main character, the incredibly naive (and stupid) Edge had a mental breakdown after indirectly causing the death of a few billion human beings. His trauma was understandable, but as a gamer, I really didn't need to see him go through all the emotional drama that played out. The general Edge character wasn't annoying, but that lengthy period where he shutdown and had to deal with his personal issues sure annoyed me. Edge was actually the first character I thought of when Hope was brought up as being annoying. Both became annoying due to a trauma they experienced during their respective games. I was thankful that Hope's trauma didn't drag on as long and wasn't focused on as much as that for Edge.

Haven't played star ocean so I can't really compare, although edge sure does sound annoying.

Up to chap 9 and hope isn't so annoying now, BUT, as stomach pointed out in all the final fantasies I've played, I've never had a character I disliked soo much.

I'm not gonna let him ruin my ff experience though.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yeah hope sure is a baby in the begining but when nearign the end he kinda is like a big baby lol

im i think in chapter 11 or chapter 12 i dont remember i only know im in a temple and on top of it is a weird as boss

• 3 weeks later...
In the last Star Ocean game, the main character, the incredibly naive (and stupid) Edge had a mental breakdown after indirectly causing the death of a few billion human beings. His trauma was understandable, but as a gamer, I really didn't need to see him go through all the emotional drama that played out. The general Edge character wasn't annoying, but that lengthy period where he shutdown and had to deal with his personal issues sure annoyed me. Edge was actually the first character I thought of when Hope was brought up as being annoying. Both became annoying due to a trauma they experienced during their respective games. I was thankful that Hope's trauma didn't drag on as long and wasn't focused on as much as that for Edge.

Ah, yes, Star Ocean 4. That had to be the most idiotic scene in any RPG I've ever seen. It's like the entire party just had a sudden attack of too-dumb-to-live. Sure let's give our ship's power source to this evil army mad scientist we just met 5 minutes ago...what could go wrong?

And in my opinion, Edge's reaction wasn't even all that understandable. As moronic as the decision to give away their ship's only power source was, at least Edge had the excuse of not knowing it could blow up the planet if used wrong. But I suppose it would've been too un-heroic for Edge to blame the guy who waited until it was too late to mention that little detail. Who also happens to be the guy with the giant gun for an arm, that was quite capable of blasting through the walls of jail cells in the past...yeah, I would've blamed him for not stopping it.

No, Hope isn't anywhere near as annoying. He actually gets better in the end. Edge ends up twisting the "lesson" learned from his breakdown into "don't cooperate with other species."

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope in XIII is not meant to be perfect. He is not meant to be your typical save-the-day hero; he is flawed, and he grows as the events unfold.

Of course, we as spectators, know that Hope's mother died according to her own will, but from Hope's perspective he did not see that. Losing the person dearest to him at his age, I understand why he behaved like he did.

He is also much more mature in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

• 2 months later...
I mean you would whine like a little bitch after you saw your mom fall to your own death and had multiple attempts to kill the guy who got your mom killed and dosen't remember her at all. Just saying man.

'whine' seems a rather biased word, pardon me. Or perhaps thats the fault of the VA. Like I said Hope isnt supposed to be a masculine man at the beginning, instead he is weak and helpless, and admittedly not entirely likeable, but to me that is just part of a character setting. Seriously I do not understand all the hate towards him.

• 2 months later...

Based on my time in Hope's house and his choice of weapon, I feel that Hope is just your typical kid and wound up not only watching his mother die but also getting dragged into an adventure he didn't want to be a part of. His family looked to be quite wealthy, so he's probably lived a pretty cushy life. The worst thing that probably happened to him prior to the incident in Bodhum is his father not being around due to probably traveling for whatever work he does. I feel like Hope's responses to the situtations early on would be quite typical for almost any kid, especially one who comes from that type of "suburbanized" lifestyle that Hope was most likely used to. I personally feel like he grew quite a bit as the story went along.