Will there even be achievements for this expansion?

Software2

Living in Redmond, I know that SE was quite opposed to achievements on FFXI, and MS let SE walk all over them just to get a Final Fantasy game on the 360. Eventually they added them, but only grudgingly (You want achivements? FINE! Here's a set so impossible that nobody will get them all!)

What I really find interesting is that on the major FFXI forums the general populace (which is primarily PC players) isn't just indifferent to 360 players getting achievements... they're opposed to it! (I can post links to threads attesting to this)

WotG presents an excellent opportunity to add in new achievements not only for beating the expansion storyline, but I believe it's the perfect opportunity to add in some realistic attainable achievements like "Raised a Chocobo". But considering the community's general disdain for achievements, and SE's past hate of achievements, does anyone actually expect new achievements?

I would expect them to bump it up the extra 250 points based on what MS limits achievements to. It is not required to boost them to their 1250 Max, so I find it unlikely SE will bother with them.

The bigger problem with Achievements was how a user could just import their PC character and just talk to an NPC to grab their free points. That's what I did, felt dirty and then shrugged :p

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with doing that. Regardless of the system you played on, you still did the tasks required to get those achievements.

(And oh, with mere days to go until the release, I'm seriously eager to know if there will be achievements or not. Honestly, I don't think I'll be picking up this expansion if it doesn't have them.)

Seriously? This is one of the few 360 games that isn't about achievements. Who cares if there are achievements in this expansion, all that matters are the new jobs, new items, and new areas.

Agreed, if you're playing this game only for the points then you missed the concept somewhere and are about to lose a whole bunch of your time.

• 3 weeks later...
There's nothing wrong with doing that. Regardless of the system you played on, you still did the tasks required to get those achievements.

(And oh, with mere days to go until the release, I'm seriously eager to know if there will be achievements or not. Honestly, I don't think I'll be picking up this expansion if it doesn't have them.)

wow, youre missing out on the best ffxi expansion yet

travelling back in time is the best experience yet

• 4 months later...

Well the WotG storyline hasn't even been completed yet. They're going to do like they did with Aht Urghan and not finish it for a while.

Yes, there may be no achievements. No, I can't get achievements for my 75 Dancer or Scholar. It makes me feel a bit shafted, but then I log on and Fire 3 some mobs and the feeling is quickly forgotten.

But who knows, maybe they might implement some things later on? Could happen.

• 1 month later...

Well, it only took them over half a year, but they finally did add in some new achievements! Yay to reviving old threads!

Also, for all you people telling me I'm not allowed to play a game because of achievements, who are you to dictate how I enjoy myself? Achievements are the only way I can dedicate lots of time into an MMO, while still feeling like I can quit. In other MMOs you can dedicate thousands of hours of your life into the game, and then what? Sure, you had fun along the way, but if you want any sort of reminder of your accomplishments, you're SOL. (Unless you want to buy a figurine of your character in WoW) With achievements, I'll always have a way of reminding myself that I did indeed beat FFXI.

• 1 year later...