Opinions (All are welcome)

Floyd.

Hey guys.

I love anything RPG. If you are leveling up and enjoying good story and combat, it's usually a no brainer for me, but all the crazy low reviews are making me second-guess purchasing this. I am not expecting Skyrim, but that doesn't mean I want Arena or Daggerfall, either. Loved The Witcher 2, and I hear it being compared to that.

Any thoughts? Is it worth it, in your opinion? No flaming, please.

Guest Scotty

This is my post from the review thread. It seems more appropriate to post it here instead. Also, bare in mind this is all my own personal opinion of the game and what i've experienced.:)

An 'update' of sorts of my opinion of the game.

So i just hit chapter 3 and i think i'm gonna leave it there. It's not a 'bad' game by any means, but i just can't be arsed with it. I'm only playing on Hawk difficulty(the second one up) and after defeating a fucking general at the end of chapter 2, i begin chapter 3 and can't get a single kill on anything.

How can it be possible to kill some general then the next chapter be so stupidly difficult? It's probably just me as i have no patience for difficult games, but i was plodding along just fine until this.

In an attempt to make this post an honest user-review and not just a bitch, i'll go in-depth with some of my complaints and the stuff i like.

Pros;

-Leveling. The leveling is well thought out and there is plenty of things to invest your skill points in. You can invest in any of the classes and it will always be useful to you with the ability to be any class at any time.

-Customization. The way you can customize your weapons and armour and how they look different depending on what you do to them is extremely good. I love it. It is by far the best thing about this game and something other games could utilize to make their mediocre customizing options a lot better.

-Lore/story. Although not exactly 'Hollywood' the story is pretty decent and the lore of the world is also, so far at least rather interesting. The diversity in enemies is also pretty decent.

Cons;

-'Difficulty'. This is probably personal to me as i'm guessing most other people aren't having trouble with it, but the difficulty of this game only exists because of certain things. It's not my lack of strategy or using the wrong weapons or companions, but mostly because of some of the other cons i'm gonna list. It feels like 'cheap' difficulty were enemies use cheap tactics to completely destroy you more than it actually being a challenge. It's not that you learn the game and can then become good at it and if you die it's your fault, they just use cheap tactics. Then every now and again, when you think you may be doing alright, you get one-hit-killed by some unblockable/undodgable attack that you could have never seen coming.

-Combat. The combat, although it is good to watch, it's fucking boring. You just keep hold of block then when the enemy isn't swinging you press :xbut:....repeatedly. You'll occasionally press :ybut: if you're against multiple weak enemies, but you almost forget that that option exists. All of the other things i've used so far are pathetically useless. Traps are fun to watch, but deal little damage, the fireball and fire weapons barely deal any damage/extra damage. The crossbow is also really weak. I have no reason to use anything other than my main warrior weapon and every now and then i'll try to sneak up with my daggers, but that, so far at least, is a pretty rare situation.

-Loot. This is a huge factor for me when i'm playing RPG's. I've killed 3 'Bosses' so far and NONE of them drop ANY loot. It's not that the loot is weak, or crap, they literally don't drop a thing. I want to be rewarded for slaying an ice general with his beastly axe or something, or a piece of unique armour. I've found weapons and armour pieces in wooden crates and barrels in a little village, but not gotten a thing from any Boss character. Plus i never have any gold. I'm constantly having to sell my good ingredients to get enough cash to buy health potions or new weapons or armour or other lesser ingredients. I've only ever gone above 1000 gold once and it was after selling my best ingredients so i could buy a new sword.

-Followers/Companions. These are all but useless. They die immediately and deal little to no damage what so ever. They serve as somewhat of a distraction until they inevitably die less than half way through a simple battle against weak enemies and you're left to kill everything on your own. It would be at least ok if you could take 2 or 3 followers to suit different roles, but you can't.

-Leveling(the 'Con' version). Although i listed the leveling in the pros, there is also a bad side. There is lot's to invest in but it all feels useless, or at least the 'becoming stronger' part. Some of the abilities you can get are ok, but the biggest problem is that you don't gain any more health or mana from leveling up. I started with 100 health and at level 15 now i only have 120 and the extra 20 came form a perk i purchased from leveling up. I really don't get why you don't get more health and mana just from leveling. But having said that, the enemies who are obviously stronger at this level don't necessarily deal more damage. I don't understand it. It seems pointless then being able to get more health which could possibly explain why you can't, but then i don't get the point in leveling up at all. To me as i level up i should be getting stronger, not being on par with the weakest enemies on the game for the entire game.

So that's my opinion of the game so far. I likely will go back to it and have another go, but i've lost interest for the minute. I do want to like it and it does have potential but there are too many things about it that piss me off.

The game gets better as you play and use Upgrades to use in combat - in a fight, when something doesn't work, change your strategy.

It's a nice Action-RPG overall, and I want to see more Spiders action / RPG games (that are always intelligent ones) like this one.

like you, i am an rpg fan first and foremost when it comes to gaming

it's a fun $40 rgp

i wouldn't completely compare it to the Witcher but there are some similarities

you can't just rely on your primary weapons in a battle, make sure you make some traps and crossbow bolts before facing multiple enemies...every area i've fought in so far seems to have at least one chokepoint that u can utilize in your favor...set up a few traps at the chokepoint and lure the enemies into it

facing enemies one on one isn't an issue but when you get multiple enemies coming at you, it's important to formulate a strategy before initiating the battle...you can usually see what enemies are ahead before they see you so use that to your advantage

though most sidekicks are useless when it comes to combat, they are quite useful if you set them to "defend"....in my experience so far, it seems that the enemies usually focus on your sidekick so it makes it easy for you to get behind them and backstab them to death

if you want a sidekick that will actually be somewhat useful in combat, i'd go with Edwen....some of her soceries are pretty good

i just got to act 2 and i am playing as a ranger

i am not having many issues with the difficulty(playing on Hawk)

i did start over once though because i found the best way to level is to pick one skill tree and stick with it...don't try to spread your points out among all the skill trees or you will be underpowered going into the second act(kind of like leveling in dark souls...pick a specialty and stick with it)

i am level 17 and you receive 2 points per level up and i have put all 34 points into the ranger tree plus i've been upgrading my weapons and gear as i go and my character is a beast....granted i can only use daggers for the most part because i haven't put a single point into the other 2 trees but i am killing the regular size enemies with one assault(hold Y for a couple seconds, then let go)

i don't want to make a pro/con list because it would look alot like the list already posted a few posts up but it's definately worth the money in my opinion

as long as you know it's a lower budget game from a smaller company and don't try to compare it to Skyrim or Dragon Age, i think you will enjoy it

i would say it's in the same ballpark as Two Worlds 2(which i personally loved but it didn't get the greatest reviews)

it has it's flaws for sure but it also has some really positive things going for it...nice leveling system, upgrading gear/weapons makes them look different, story is alright so far, etc

if you are an rpg fan, i'd say give this game a go

these are just some of my randomn thoughts about the game and they are just my opinions so take what you will from it:)

Edited by wexsuvslim

Guest Scotty

i just got to act 2 and i am playing as a ranger

i am not having many issues with the difficulty(playing on Hawk)

i did start over once though because i found the best way to level is to pick one skill tree and stick with it...don't try to spread your points out among all the skill trees or you will be underpowered going into the second act(kind of like leveling in dark souls...pick a specialty and stick with it)

i am level 17 and you receive 2 points per level up and i have put all 34 points into the ranger tree plus i've been upgrading my weapons and gear as i go and my character is a beast....granted i can only use daggers for the most part because i haven't put a single point into the other 2 trees but i am killing the regular size enemies with one assault(hold Y for a couple seconds, then let go)

I'm going to start again now on this game and just stick with 1 skill tree. Hopefully i was getting my ass handed to me because i was underpowered having spread my skill points around, so i'm gonna stick with just 1, the ranger and see how it goes.:)

I'm also gonna stick it on 'recruit' difficulty just to give me the best chance of actually finishing it. Then hopefully i can go back through on the higher difficulties.

Edited by Scotty

I'm going to start again now on this game and just stick with 1 skill tree. Hopefully i was getting my ass handed to me because i was underpowered having spread my skill points around, so i'm gonna stick with just 1, the ranger and see how it goes.:)

I'm also gonna stick it on 'recruit' difficulty just to give me the best chance of actually finishing it. Then hopefully i can go back through on the higher difficulties.

i definately started having an easier time in combat once i focused solely on one tree(for me it is the ranger tree)

don't underestimate how important traps and consumables are either(there is a purchaseable perk that increases the amount of damage your traps do by 30%)...get that(it's under the Feats/Crafting tab)

i would also suggest purchasing the perks that reduce the amount of supplies required to make traps/potions, etc.(also under the Feats/Crafting tab)

the only pryo spell i use is the weapon buff and i haven't upgraded it but it makes a big difference(even at default level)

if you decide to go the ranger route, the final perk you unlock(i believe you need to use at least 24 points in the ranger tree to unlock it) is extremely useful with crowds and big enemies

one other useful tidbit is to upgrade your daggers with increased interupt abilities...i can pretty much spam the assault combo(hold Y for a couple seconds and let go) over and over without the enemies being able to hit me....i hardly ever use the X attack

also, don't be afraid to kill a couple enemies in a crowd and then retreat to regain health/mana, etc

the enemies that are still alive will fall back and regain full health but the enemies you killed will stay dead so use that to thin out crowds if you have trouble with large crowds of enemies

i know these thoughts are randomn but i was typing as the thoughts popped into my head and i didn't want to forget anything...lol...i'm old with a bad memory

Edited by wexsuvslim

Guest Scotty
i definately started having an easier time in combat once i focused solely on one tree(for me it is the ranger tree)

don't underestimate how important traps and consumables are either(there is a purchaseable perk that increases the amount of damage your traps do by 30%)...get that

i would also suggest purchasing the perks that reduce the amount of supplies required to make traps/potions, etc.

the only pryo spell i use is the weapon buff and i haven't upgraded it but it makes a big difference(even at default level)

if you decide to go the ranger route, the final perk you unlock(i believe you need to use at least 24 points in the ranger tree to unlock it) is extremely useful with crowds and big enemies

Yeah i went ranger and when i play in the ranger stance i'm finding it easier, although i'm now on the easiest difficulty, so it could be that:p

I'm also going for the weapon achievements, axe and hammer 50 kills, and such and when i'm fighting in warrior stance having no perks it is somewhat difficult, but as long as i know i can just switch to ranger to get past areas i'm stuck on then i'm fine with it.

Yeah i went ranger and when i play in the ranger stance i'm finding it easier, although i'm now on the easiest difficulty, so it could be that:p

I'm also going for the weapon achievements, axe and hammer 50 kills, and such and when i'm fighting in warrior stance having no perks it is somewhat difficult, but as long as i know i can just switch to ranger to get past areas i'm stuck on then i'm fine with it.

awesome

i am still working my way through the game so i don't have a ton of knowledge yet but i will try to help if you have any more questions

i can't say my way is great or anything, but it seems to be working for me so far

i figure i will get the warrior weapon cheevos on my next playthrough

i don't think there is a NG+ so i will have to start a new character anyways so i'll dedicate my next playthrough to the warrior tree and all those related cheevos

i've wasted alot of materials so far upgrading the new "warrior" weapons i get even though i never switch out of ranger stance...:p

oh, and while i'm thinking about it....i found it's better to recycle your unused weapons/armor rather than selling it...you don't get much gold for selling stuff and you end up with alot of materials to craft new stuff if you recycle instead of sell

Edited by wexsuvslim

Guest Scotty
awesome

i am still working my way through the game so i don't have a ton of knowledge yet but i will try to help if you have any more questions

i can't say my way is great or anything, but it seems to be working for me so far

i figure i will get the warrior weapon cheevos on my next playthrough

i don't think there is a NG+ so i will have to start a new character anyways so i'll dedicate my next playthrough to the warrior tree and all those related cheevos

i've wasted alot of materials so far upgrading the new "warrior" weapons i get even though i never switch out of ranger stance...:p

oh, and while i'm thinking about it....i found it's better to recycle your unused weapons/armor rather than selling it...you don't get much gold for selling stuff and you end up with alot of materials to craft new stuff if you recycle instead of sell

Yeah my ingredients piles are always empty:p I upgrade a weapon i know i'll never use or will only use for a short while until i find the next better one.

I just want as many achievements as possible from it, so i'll just get the weapon ones done and dusted early on so i can get them on the weaker enemies. I started recycling all my stuff for the related achievements and considering you get no gold ever, then i'm not missing out on selling them.

Yeah my ingredients piles are always empty:p I upgrade a weapon i know i'll never use or will only use for a short while until i find the next better one.

I just want as many achievements as possible from it, so i'll just get the weapon ones done and dusted early on so i can get them on the weaker enemies. I started recycling all my stuff for the related achievements and considering you get no gold ever, then i'm not missing out on selling them.

there is also a Feat u can purchase that increase the drop rates of enemies...get that...i always seem to have an overabundance of materials...i always keep 5 of everything on me(potions, traps, crossbow bolts, etc) and it seems i always have plenty of materials left to craft more

one other thing, i literally just maxed out the ranger tree...at level 19 and i am at the beginning of Act 2 Chapter 2 so i'm curious to see now if it's possible to max out more than one tree in a playthrough

i have done every side quest i came across up until now also

i don't know if there is a level cap but now i will probably start on the pryo tree

Edited by wexsuvslim

Guest Scotty
there is also a Feat u can purchase that increase the drop rates of enemies...get that...i always seem to have an overabundance of materials...i always keep 5 of everything on me(potions, traps, crossbow bolts, etc) and it seems i always have plenty of materials left to craft more

Yeah i purchased that and the second one of it on my first character. I didn't feel like there was much of a difference though, but i was pretty much only killing those weird floating things in the swamps. I will get them both again though as soon as i can.

one other thing, i literally just maxed out the ranger tree...at level 19 and i am at the beginning of Act 2 Chapter 2 so i'm curious to see now if it's possible to max out more than one tree in a playthrough

i have done every side quest i came across up until now also

i don't know if there is a level cap but now i will probably start on the pryo tree

Hopefully you can max more than one skill tree out, or at the least somewhere as part of the story get the ability to re-distribute your points. I don't really want to do 3 playthroughs for this, but it looks like you may have to do 4 for the romance achievements anyway.

I wonder what the level cap is then. How long is the game even, i got to act 3 at level 17, so how many acts are there i wonder.

Just finished first playtrought and it was intensive, brutal and charming! If you like challenging RPG games, definitely give this a go! I started second playtrought instantly, this time unleashing demon!

Just heads up, in harder difficulties this game can be really frustrating. Since you cant get all romance, leveling skills and follower quest achievements in same playtrought, play first time with lower difficulty and then rise if you feel so.

Just finished first playtrought and it was intensive, brutal and charming! If you like challenging RPG games, definitely give this a go! I started second playtrought instantly, this time unleashing demon!

Just heads up, in harder difficulties this game can be really frustrating. Since you cant get all romance, leveling skills and follower quest achievements in same playtrought, play first time with lower difficulty and then rise if you feel so.

Thanks, man, glad to hear you liked it until the end.

Great posts, guys, thanks and keep the discussion coming. I am about to pop the game in right now and will most likely come back with my opinion as well.

(Harder to make long posts from my tablet!)

Guest Scotty
Your horns prevent you from wearing a helmet. Whoa! Playing with demon is totally worth it.

Yeah i was a bit gutted by this too. I love my armours and i don't see why one of the many smiths couldn't knock a couple of holes into a helmet for me.:p

Dragon Age Origins

If you're comparing the two, you are doing anyone who reads this a disservice. Very different. This could be considered a cheap, somewhat similar experience, if we were grasping at straws. Hopefully I will have the drive to finish this (just starting Act 2).