Opinions (All are welcome)

Floyd.

Just completed the game having done all side quests available to the 0% Possession run, seduced Sybil, and did all companion quests available to that run.

Was a "meh" kind of game. I am missing all the achievements from the parallel style of choices, but doubt I will ever come back to Bound by Flame. I would recommend this from a bargain bin any day of the week, but right now, I wouldn't mind trading back my $40 and getting the memory of this game removed (wait, I'm forgetting the story already...).

Honestly, I watched a trailer about a month ago and thought it would be a good RPG. As soon as I saw the game on shelves, I bought it. Now for the funny side, I haven't actually played the game. I don't have a lot of time right now, and my focus is on another game (Pokemon Platinum), so I want to finish that before getting into Bound by Flame. Despite the relatively bad reviews, I still don't really care. MoH: Warfighter got bad reviews and I loved the game.

I pre-ordered this as I thought the trailers looked pretty cool. Unfortunately I've just found it pretty underwhelming. The camera seems to hate me and is constantly causng issues and some of the difficulty spikes are irritating. Have made it to the end boss fight but pretty much lost the will to put it back in the 360, esp with Wolfenstein currently in the mail and Watch dogs etc along son after.

Guest Scotty

I was sort of starting to like this game, but after getting killed by the terrible final boss i kind of rage quit. He has maybe 5%-ish of his health left and he killed me. It's not just this battle, it happens through out the game were you'll be knocked to the floor by an enemy and there is NOTHING you can do to either speed up your return to your feet or dodge or otherwise prevent the enemy from killing you while you are on the floor. I had nearly full health and after he knocked me down, he just slashed away at me and as i finally got up after taking a load of damage, he just casually finishes me off. Plus, i don't know if it was just me, but i could swear that final boss has an attack that locks onto you. You can't do anything against that either. He sort of lunges at you and although you have clearly moved out of his way, because it technically wasn't a dodge/parry then he will get you and fuck your shit up. It's so infuriating. I was hoping to get all of the achievements besides the difficulty ones, but fuck this game. It's crap.

Just as an FYI though, i have been taking notes, and was hoping to do the guide for this, but i won't be anymore, so if anyone needs help writing one, i'd be more than happy to lend peripheral support.

I was sort of starting to like this game, but after getting killed by the terrible final boss i kind of rage quit. He has maybe 5%-ish of his health left and he killed me. It's not just this battle, it happens through out the game were you'll be knocked to the floor by an enemy and there is NOTHING you can do to either speed up your return to your feet or dodge or otherwise prevent the enemy from killing you while you are on the floor. I had nearly full health and after he knocked me down, he just slashed away at me and as i finally got up after taking a load of damage, he just casually finishes me off. Plus, i don't know if it was just me, but i could swear that final boss has an attack that locks onto you. You can't do anything against that either. He sort of lunges at you and although you have clearly moved out of his way, because it technically wasn't a dodge/parry then he will get you and fuck your shit up. It's so infuriating. I was hoping to get all of the achievements besides the difficulty ones, but fuck this game. It's crap.

Just as an FYI though, i have been taking notes, and was hoping to do the guide for this, but i won't be anymore, so if anyone needs help writing one, i'd be more than happy to lend peripheral support.

There is a warrior skill that allows you to recover faster while in that stance.

Guest Scotty
There is a warrior skill that allows you to recover faster while in that stance.

Ah right, could be useful, but i was playing as a ranger, so it wouldn't really have helped me anyway. I take it you know what i mean though? You are knocked to the floor and as your character slowly get's him/herself back to their feet you will be continually attacked. If it is on a higher difficulty or against any of the bosses, you'll die almost immediately. I'm not asking for the game to be super easy and hand everything to me, but this, to me at least doesn't constitute 'difficult' so much as it does cheap and luck based.

I really, really want to like this game, but i'm struggling something fierce. Like yesterday i was super-pissed at the final boss and wanted nothing more to do with it, but after waking up today i'm thinking i'll go back and try again. It's just feeling more like a chore now though than anything else. It's far from enjoyment.

Ah right, could be useful, but i was playing as a ranger, so it wouldn't really have helped me anyway. I take it you know what i mean though? You are knocked to the floor and as your character slowly get's him/herself back to their feet you will be continually attacked. If it is on a higher difficulty or against any of the bosses, you'll die almost immediately. I'm not asking for the game to be super easy and hand everything to me, but this, to me at least doesn't constitute 'difficult' so much as it does cheap and luck based.

I really, really want to like this game, but i'm struggling something fierce. Like yesterday i was super-pissed at the final boss and wanted nothing more to do with it, but after waking up today i'm thinking i'll go back and try again. It's just feeling more like a chore now though than anything else. It's far from enjoyment.

I do, every boss does this but when using ranger it seemed if they knocked me a bit back away from them and if I held down block I'd get up fast enough and block everything.

Possible Spoilers!

I had the same problem. I built my Ranger class up got to the last Boss and quit playing.

I'd widdle him down to less than a sliver of health then, BAM bullshit One hit death.

So I completely restarted the game on Captain difficulty, Building up my Warrior stance. Knowing the Ranger stance intimately, I could switch over when i wanted to take out certain opponents.

Before I got to the final boss, I farmed materials and crafted about 60 traps (I might just figure out an exact number so it'll be an easier farm). When you get to the Worldheart, Run past all of the stupid ghosts, (You don't need to waste time fighting them) and enter the area you fight the main boss. After climbing the ledge there is a window of non-combat before the boss fight begins, lay down all the traps on top of each other and activate the cutscene. When you enter the fight, hug the left side and follow it back to the starting area. If you kited him to the edge, You should be able to stand behind the rocks of the starting area without getting hit by his magic missiles. If not, strafe and dodge the missiles until he tries to melee. Run to the traps an let him attack you. He will instantly drop to 1 health and summon the dragon. Break the dragon's limbs and initiate combat with him again. I'd make sure you are a good distance away from his stasis location as he can kill you fairly easily. Then shoot him with a crossbow bolt to end the battle.

Edit: Okay, I loaded my Hawk save as it was closest to the Boss without significant playing. I had 4 traps before fighting Blackfrost. I made about 20 traps. Then I went to the Makeshift Camp and headed to the Vender, Renko. He has 132 traps on him. I sold him 8 tainted Gemstones for 8000 and ended up with around 90 traps (91 to be exact). I could level up my trap damage with the Gunner perk, but decided not to to see how many I needed for near instant kill. I laid down 30 traps saved and kept testing 10 or 15 more each time. 50 or so traps will drop him to fifty percent health and initiate the Dragon battle. It took over 80, to drop him to one-hit kill without the Gunner perk which increases the trap damage by 50 percent.

Edited by Epsilon 616
Added more info.

Sadly this is one poor game, and for so many reasons, to be quite honest there's hardly a single thing good about it! Graphically underwhelming, awful acting, piss poor story, shoddy unresponsive combat mechanics, ridiculously hard difficulty levels and monotonous boring game play in general. I haven't long started Act 3 and I can barely be arsed to carry on playing it. Should have guessed that another game developed by Spiders would fail to deliver on every level.

Worst game I have ever played hands down and I was actually looking forward to this. I'm being destroyed by the floating bags in the swamp, if there are more than 3 enemies you're done for. They hit constantly, blocking does nothing, dogdgeing puts you in a corner where the camera spazzes out. The combat itself is utter shite. it's not like The Witcher because then it would be a little fun. Instead it's a chore to play, every battle is a slog of fast enemies with range attacks that never miss. Avoid this game like the fucking plague

Worst game I have ever played hands down and I was actually looking forward to this. I'm being destroyed by the floating bags in the swamp, if there are more than 3 enemies you're done for. They hit constantly, blocking does nothing, dogdgeing puts you in a corner where the camera spazzes out. The combat itself is utter shite. it's not like The Witcher because then it would be a little fun. Instead it's a chore to play, every battle is a slog of fast enemies with range attacks that never miss. Avoid this game like the fucking plague

You think the combat is bad now, wait until you get to Act 3 if you can be bothered, it goes up to a whole new level of utter shite! And having read how ridiculously hard the end of game guy is I quite frankly am absolutely dreading it! Having played Mars: War Logs I should have guessed that combat in this game would be just the same, unbalanced, tedious, no fun and stupidly hard just for the sake of it.

You think the combat is bad now, wait until you get to Act 3 if you can be bothered, it goes up to a whole new level of utter shite! And having read how ridiculously hard the end of game guy is I quite frankly am absolutely dreading it! Having played Mars: War Logs I should have guessed that combat in this game would be just the same, unbalanced, tedious, no fun and stupidly hard just for the sake of it.

I am at act 3 now. Everyone at Spiders needs to kill themselves

EDIT: Actually act 3 wasn't that bad it was that final boss that was BS. And this game had one of the poorest endings i've ever witnessed

Edited by PsychicHorns

love this game..it has a few little things that need to be patched but considering it was only made by a small studio with a handful of ppl i think they did very well.

That's how I feel. Considering how small they are this wasn't that bad of an RPG. Yes the difficulty spike on the last boss is ridiculous, but overal I had fun with the game. It has a decent lore surrounding it, the combat was fun and challenging, the crafting was well done and I personally didn't find the graphics as bad as everyone says. I got it for $40 and at that price I definitely feel it was worth it. The game does end a bit prematurely, but I'd recommend this even with its flaws.

I'll admit there are some good things in this game. Customising armor and weapon parts was quite good and the idea of switching fighting styles on the fly was ok but Kingdoms of Amalur did it better.

It's a shame that fights feel like a marathon to get through. I'd love to know why they gave enemies such massive HP pools

Well I've just finished my first play though done on Hawk.

I think it's more comparable to Risen than any other game I've played to date and found it very unforgiving more than anything and don't even intend to attempt the Buffalo or Captain difficulties, I'll probably do the male run on easiest and even then I'll probably save you my skill points and not spend them so I can fire off Soldier and Pyro maxed by running around in a circle on the first part of act 1 till I've got to level 20 then finish it off as full ranger.

The first two acts are fine and as is most of 3, but the game carries on telling you about all these Ice Lords and you expect to face them all, wrong but I won't do any spoilers apart from to say the last boss was bloody stupidly hard due to damage offset and a crappy target lock that doesn't lock onto sh1t.

Also as a footnote, I have a skill that gives you +50% when killing a foe by surprise. If you kill a chryslid in the swamp before you get the skill and it nets you 240 Xp then you should get 360 Xp when killed in stealth? For some reason I only get 255? WTF!

I found the equipment fairly crap and not much difference between most items and the customisation imaging pretty useless if you go the Demon route. But on the whole at least I could stomach finishing it which is more than I could say for Risen.

Edited by SimonJK

I am playing Risen and Arcania Gothic IV right now, to kill my backlog before Destiny ships out, and those games, especially Arcania on Gothic difficulty is the worst RPG I have ever played in my life. You spend your days getting raped and stun locked by tiny mosquitoes, rats, spiders and boars, all at 15 FPS with 1 attack command, a 2 feet roll and a useless block option with your plastic shield. Plus, the achievements are impossible, like not using a single potion, not buying anything, killing every enemy in the game finding 90 green collectibles on a green texturish background with the same motive repeated every inch as in DkS...

I picked BBF because I liked the trailers, like everyone else. I haven't booted it yet, but from what I'm reading, I never will. I will delete it, since I bought it digital, and will take some comfort in seeing my HD cap crossing back the 100Go threshold for the first time in years.

I already have, so I can't discover those gems anymore, but please guys, help yourselves and consider playing Dark Souls 1 and 2 instead, Dragon Age 1 and 2, The Witcher 2, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, Kingdom of Amalur, NIER, The Last Remnant, Mass Effect 1 through 3, Diablo III, Divinity II, Fallout, FABLE and Borderlands series, Darksiders I and II, Skyrim, Oblivion, Tales of Vesperia, the FFXIII trilogy and ESPECIALLY Dragon's Dogma, best RPG on the system. Best game, on the system, with Bioshock Infinite.

My opinion :p

It is better to have a horrific 20G on one game you gave up, than to waste 3 weeks of your life crying in anger and agony. Play Child of Light instead.

Edited by Asturgis

• 2 months later...

If this is the worst game you have EVER played, then you must not have played many games. My only problems with the game are that it is overly difficult and the combat can become repetitive, otherwise it's a pretty fun budget game. The graphics aren't bad at all, and I like the storyline and all the dialogue. I also like the weapon and armor customization. It's something I'd like to see more in other games. Seeing my character turn more and more into a demon, growing horns and burning through my armor, is pretty neat.

Seriously though, I've played hundreds of games, and while this is not quite 2014 quality, this is NOT a terrible game by any means.

• 4 weeks later...
If this is the worst game you have EVER played, then you must not have played many games. My only problems with the game are that it is overly difficult and the combat can become repetitive, otherwise it's a pretty fun budget game. The graphics aren't bad at all, and I like the storyline and all the dialogue. I also like the weapon and armor customization. It's something I'd like to see more in other games. Seeing my character turn more and more into a demon, growing horns and burning through my armor, is pretty neat.

Seriously though, I've played hundreds of games, and while this is not quite 2014 quality, this is NOT a terrible game by any means.

I agree. The game has its faults but its not a failure of a game. Better than original Risen(on 360 at least) by far. Im on the elf city part and so far I am enjoying it though it is frustrating at times

• 3 months later...