I Almost Bought This Game

Explicitlyy

• 1 month later...
I was in Steam about to buy the GOTY edition, then I read underneath "Fallout 3 Not Optimized for Windows 7 and Later"

Really? So I have Windows 8 and I'll never be able to play it?

OR... Can I still buy it, start it up and use the exploit to get all achievements?

I know you posted this a while ago, but yes, the glitch still works. I just did it about 20 minutes ago. I don't know about doing it through Steam though, I bought a physical copy through Amazon, brand new, GOTY. I put it in my laptop, which of course wasn't compatible because like you said it's not optimized for Windows 7 or later. My boyfriend actually set it up for me and got it working on my laptop for me, but this is what he did. He downloaded the Games For Windows Live client, then he went to the folder where the actual game is located (he'd already put the disk in and installed the game), then right-click on the Fallout 3 application icon, then scroll down to Properties, click on that, then click on the Compatibility tab. Then pick the drop down menu where you can select which Compatibility mode you want to run it on, and he selected Vista Service Pack 1 (or Vista SP1). Hit apply and then run the game, and that's it. On the Menu in the game, you'll click on Live to connect to Windows Live. It will ask you to update, and hit yes. It asked me to do this a few times, just keep clicking yes. After the 3rd or 4th time of updating, you can sign in to Windows Live and you'll be connected. Then it will ask you for your 25 digit code that's on the inside of the game cover, so enter that. Then you press "~" to open the command menu and start entering the commands from the Guide to pop any/all of the achievements you want.

Hope I've explained this ok, but tl;dr, yes it still works and you can do it lol. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I know you posted this a while ago, but yes, the glitch still works. I just did it about 20 minutes ago. I don't know about doing it through Steam though, I bought a physical copy through Amazon, brand new, GOTY. I put it in my laptop, which of course wasn't compatible because like you said it's not optimized for Windows 7 or later. My boyfriend actually set it up for me and got it working on my laptop for me, but this is what he did. He downloaded the Games For Windows Live client, then he went to the folder where the actual game is located (he'd already put the disk in and installed the game), then right-click on the Fallout 3 application icon, then scroll down to Properties, click on that, then click on the Compatibility tab. Then pick the drop down menu where you can select which Compatibility mode you want to run it on, and he selected Vista Service Pack 1 (or Vista SP1). Hit apply and then run the game, and that's it. On the Menu in the game, you'll click on Live to connect to Windows Live. It will ask you to update, and hit yes. It asked me to do this a few times, just keep clicking yes. After the 3rd or 4th time of updating, you can sign in to Windows Live and you'll be connected. Then it will ask you for your 25 digit code that's on the inside of the game cover, so enter that. Then you press "~" to open the command menu and start entering the commands from the Guide to pop any/all of the achievements you want.

Hope I've explained this ok, but tl;dr, yes it still works and you can do it lol. :)

Thank you very much!

I'd like to throw in my opinion about actually playing the game vs. the exploit, as well. If you haven't played it, and are just doing this for achievements and don't plan on playing, you are missing out big time. It's an amazing game and has a GOTY edition for a reason :) I highly recommend actually putting time into it and discovering why Fallout 3 is so beloved.

I'd like to throw in my opinion about actually playing the game vs. the exploit, as well. If you haven't played it, and are just doing this for achievements and don't plan on playing, you are missing out big time. It's an amazing game and has a GOTY edition for a reason :) I highly recommend actually putting time into it and discovering why Fallout 3 is so beloved.

Oh yes, I agree! I think this Games For Windows Live version is good for one thing: a Gamerscore boost. But for the game itself, it's a classic and should be played/enjoyed fully on the 360 as well. I spent about 2 months (Yikes! Can you tell how much I loved it lol?) on this game alone back in 2012, earning my first achievement on 10/25/12 and my last one on 12/21/12. I'm still missing a few achievements, mostly for reaching certain levels with the bad/neutral/good karma requirements though. I will go back and finish it one day! :D

Oh, and you're welcome, Explicitlyy! :)

Those 100 steel ingots.

I've got to restart so I can get all the snow globes.

That's one of mine that I have yet to get, as well! Aside from the Karma achievements, I have 4 miscellaneous ones to go back and get for the full 100%.

1. Mill Worker (Found all 100 Steel Ingots). I got super close to getting them all, but missed a few. Need to do it again. :p

2. Weaponsmith (Made one of every custom weapon). Again, I came close, but no cigar...yet. ;)

3. Alien Archivist (Collected all Alien Captive Recordings). Very doable, I just need to go back and get them. :rolleyes:

4. Bog Walker (Discover all Locations in Point Lookout). This might have glitched on me, I had discovered every location, and even went over them repeatedly again and again all around the map, but it never popped for me. :confused:

I almost felt guilty entering the codes on the GFWL version for these, because I hadn't earned them myself yet. It's probably just me, but I almost felt like I was doing something "dirty" by using this exploit. Did anyone else feel that way? I've never done anything like this before, getting achievements without actually playing to get them lol. I convinced myself that it's ok, since it was in the Official Guide for the game, and many members have used the exploit. Still, it just felt weird lol. :p

That's one of mine that I have yet to get, as well! Aside from the Karma achievements, I have 4 miscellaneous ones to go back and get for the full 100%.

1. Mill Worker (Found all 100 Steel Ingots). I got super close to getting them all, but missed a few. Need to do it again. :p

2. Weaponsmith (Made one of every custom weapon). Again, I came close, but no cigar...yet. ;)

3. Alien Archivist (Collected all Alien Captive Recordings). Very doable, I just need to go back and get them. :rolleyes:

4. Bog Walker (Discover all Locations in Point Lookout). This might have glitched on me, I had discovered every location, and even went over them repeatedly again and again all around the map, but it never popped for me. :confused:

I almost felt guilty entering the codes on the GFWL version for these, because I hadn't earned them myself yet. It's probably just me, but I almost felt like I was doing something "dirty" by using this exploit. Did anyone else feel that way? I've never done anything like this before, getting achievements without actually playing to get them lol. I convinced myself that it's ok, since it was in the Official Guide for the game, and many members have used the exploit. Still, it just felt weird lol. :p

I have all DLC achievements apart from Mill worker. Rest are all karma and other quests.

Eh, it's a feature of the GFWL version, take the free 1550

I have all DLC achievements apart from Mill worker. Rest are all karma and other quests.

Eh, it's a feature of the GFWL version, take the free 1550

Yeah I enjoyed the DLC's and I do look forward to going back to it all one of these days. Those Karma achievements though, I just didn't bother at the time... :p

And yeah, you're right. They did add that feature in the GFWL version, and it still works. I'm sure I'm in the minority by feeling weird doing it lol. It took me a good 2 years of thinking about getting this version and using the exploit, before I finally decided to do it. It wasn't just something I decided on a whim lol.

Those 100 steel ingots.

I've got to restart so I can get all the snow globes.

Snow globes? I think you're mixing up New Vegas with Fallout 3. Unless I'm just not remembering something which could be as it has been a long day.

The ingots can be a pain though I've gone through the game so many times I pretty much remember where they're all at lol.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that if it's your first time playing Fallout 3 you really should actually play through it as it's a truly great game.

Snow globes? I think you're mixing up New Vegas with Fallout 3. Unless I'm just not remembering something which could be as it has been a long day.

The ingots can be a pain though I've gone through the game so many times I pretty much remember where they're all at lol.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that if it's your first time playing Fallout 3 you really should actually play through it as it's a truly great game.

I didn't catch that! I think you're right, and the snow globes were actually in New Vegas. :p

So many ingots... I gave up on it back when I played it, after I discovered I had missed a few and didn't get the achievement. I was trying to find them myself though, without using a Guide/Roadmap/YouTube video, etc. Serves me right, I guess. Next time I will use one lol.

Fuck, bobble-heads.

Surprised you guys didn't correct it haha.

Ha! I'm surprised too. :p

And OT to Explicitlyy - if you do wind up getting the GFWL version, let us know how you make out with getting it to install and work properly. If you need any help, feel free to ask and I'll try to help as best I can. :)