Where does FFXIII Rank among other FF titles?

xAHAx Skywalker

Well..I can't speak for the games entirety because I'm still currently playing through it, just today reaching chapter 12. All I can really say is that I'm not very pleased with much of anything in this FF other then the the battle system I guess..IMO, the story is really stale and pretty boring, as well as a little too confusing to follow at times. The story line is what really makes an rpg shine..and this one is, again, in my opinion, pretty lacking :/ It doesn't help that the characters just lack depth..I know this is a problem in most final fantasy games, but I still think that ff7's characters had, if anything, interesting back stories. Each and every character (( except for maybe cait sith..)) was memorable. The character's of ff13 really aren't. They're typical, boring.. yet here I am, dumping hour after hour in to beating this crap. The cinamatics are beautiful, the battle system is fast paced and flashy which I guess, by todays standards, what most gamers want..but I'd still prefer being able to control each of my characters during a fight :/ I hate being able to only control my main and having to rely on the computer to do what I need it to, only to have it mean my demise. For instance, when acquiring vanille's eidolon, I was using Sab/Sab to start..I'm casting debuffs like a boss with vanille, while fang literally would cast 1, maybe 2 spells? here and there? If I was lucky. I've noticed sazh do the same while in the synergist role. Its just annoying..bah. Having only played so many FF games, I'd honestly rank it the worst :/

FF8

FF7

FF9

FF1

FF2

FF13

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FFXIII is in my top 3 as well. It bumped down FF4. My top are:

1. FF6

2. FF7

3. FF13

4. FF4

5. FF5

I agree with a lot of people that the story started off slow, but that's just the way a lot of Japanese games/movies are. It's just a different way to tell a story. I liked the character development, the visuals were amazing, and the battle system was fun.

I don't know how people can say all you do is have to hit X and you win the game, though. Some of those battles were tough. When you think about it, in the FF's all you do is hold down the button to fight most fights. I know I did that in all of them for much of the time. FF13 just made it easier so you can just press X a couple of times, and the easy fights will for the most part fight themselves. It saves the player from having to press X 10+ times just to kill some weak enemies.

• 1 month later...

I choose;

1) VIII

2) X-2

3) IV

4) XIII

The one game in the series I hate is VII, it's just so over rated, it's got a bad story horrible battle and level system, Boring characters. I hated e so-called best RPG game of all time. I was one of the few gamers who wasn't blinded by it and realised that VIII was much better overall, I still play VIIi it's good, hard fun, VII is just basic with a boring plot, boring map and some of the most annoying fans of all time

Aeries died years ago dies, no one cares anymore at the time, i didn't shed a tear, I applauded she sucked as a character. Give me Vanille and Fang and their deep relationship over anything from VII any day, I thought XIiI excelled story wise, but exploration was a massive downgrade, I found myself crying many times through the main story, and there's an extra scene on Pulse where Fang apologies to Sazh about Dajh when they're in the Chocobo area, that scene showed just how good the story in this is, it was touching, I was crying, my friend was crying, the voie acting is the best in the series so far,

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have many FF's under my belt so don't yell at me if the legendary 6 isn't on my list. I'll rank in all the ones I've had the pleasure of playing.

1. XII

2. X

3. VII

4. XIII

5. X-2 (kiss my ass lol)

6. XI

I didn't mind the story starting off slowly, what took me a while to warm up to was the battle system. All the fights between chapters 1-10 left me unimpressed and bored. I found myself missing the battles of VII and X but the second I hit Gran Pulse I really started to get into the Paradigm thing. Even now I'm in the later stages of the main roles and find myself picking my actions more often then not making the "just hit A" thing hardly noticeable anymore.

• 1 month later...

My top games

FF7

FF8

FF10

FF6

FF5

I'm not impressed with 13 tho. I know jrpgs have a lot of cutscenes and dialogue, but this takes the fricken cake. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was so linear and felt as though u had no control. Feels like watching a 30 hour movie lacking in character depth or relativity.

Edited by Optomistic
Yes

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That would be

1. VIII

2. VI

3. VII

4. IX

5. X

6. V

7. IV

8. XII

9. XIII

Haven't played any of the other FFs. That's not to say I hate FF XIII, I don't. Actually I quite enjoy it, but XII and XIII are IMHO just not on par with the above mentioned FFs. They were kinda fun, I enjoyed/enjoy playing them, but they were kinda weak Final Fantasy titles.

BTW, I don't count FF X-2 as a regular FF title, otherwise it would be at the very bottom of the list. No redeeming qualities apart from the job system.

• 2 weeks later...
If you haven't played other FF games then this would be the best. If you've played all the other FF games when it came out (other than 11) you'd probably agree this is definately not one of the better ones.

With the exception of Final Fantasy IV, I've played every single U.S. release the year it came out, and in my books, XIII was hands-down the best Final Fantasy I've ever played.

In my books, graphics and even gameplay take second chair to writing. "It's too linear!" "The battles are boring!" Fair points, to those who care. But this game had the tightest plotting, most coherent storytelling, most relatable characters, and downright most enthralling story of any of the (numbered) Final Fantasies. VI was "epic," VII was "cool," and Quistis on the minigun was hot with a capital F, but XIII was the first and only one that made me give a damn, beyond beating it just to say I did. There's no contest.

VII - First FF I ever played. I still play it every couple years. For some reason, it's become unpopular amount fans to rank this as their favorite. I think people are getting annoyed with how much attention this game gets over others, or that time is skewing people's memories of this game, but this definitely was the best in terms of story, characters, side quests, and free roam.

IX - Phenomenal story, like-able characters.

I - Classic, got FF started.

X - Decent game. Annoying main character though

(Assuming every other FF game that I didn't mention would go here in between)

X-2 - Just did not work.

XIII - Dead last, but subject to change. I haven't beaten the game, but I'm 6 hours in and I feel like I'm just playing an interactive movie. So far, there has been an overwhelming amount of cinematics and scenes with little actual game play and the battle system is a bit annoying. However, the worst part, the characters suck. I don't find myself caring about a single one of them, and their dialogue and interactions are horrible. Their actions just don't make sense from what a typical human being would do and their attitudes are so poorly thought out I'm surprised they even got the green light on them.

As an aside, I've noticed over the years that people rank VIII among their favorites, but I seriously could not get into that game when I was growing up. I just didn't find it fun. Maybe it's time I give it another chance.

Edit: I realize 6 hours is not much for a game of this caliber, but it should not take over 6 hours for me to be able to play the game and stop watching cutscenes every 5 minutes.

Edited by firehazardcs

• 1 month later...