Official bitching thread!

bwfcskillsinhd

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't stand the new bow mechanic where you have to hold down RB to stay in scoped mode. Wouldn't be so bad except that you also have to use the right stick to line up your shots, which can lead to releasing pressure on RB and screwing up your aim. Wish they didn't change it from how it was in Dark Souls.

I don't mind that so much, what I really hate is lefthanding your bow and the controls switching... RB/RT to aim and LB/LT for each various arrow. This is confusing as hell.

Don't have to many issues with the game.

1. Can be invaded by more than one person. How the hell is it PvP when it's a 1v2? I don't mind being invaded but, when I get double teamed that's some straight BS!

2. Not really a gameplay problem but, an overall game issue....Lack of back story or lack of story all together. I would love some back story to the main character or some story period. All I know is you're a cursed one and wanna be cured.

3. Having to wait till half the game is over till I can make my own elemental weapons. By the time I got to Iron Keep I had at least 4 different elemental stones but, not being able to do anything with them.

I have yet to beat the game some I'm sure I'll find a few more things by the time I beat it.

i don't like how there's forced PvP in this game. one minute i'm exploring an area then the next minute i get invaded by someone. and to make it worse it's a fucking magic user that sits back throwing lightning spears at me like a pussy. just goes to show you that some people are garbage at PvP.

Just use the "Party Chat trick."

Or erm, use natural cover? I love getting invaders that are mainly casters, because it's so easy to foil half of their moves.

For Soul Arrow/Lightning Spear/Fireball casters; run around trees or walls to block their attacks completely. "Storm" casters can't do anything to you if you can predict what they're going to cast and you back up from them.

Or, use the Rebel's Greatshield. That's the best answer to casters because it effectively shuts down their primary form of offensive. :D

If you're a STR build, Havel's shield has massive poise, 100% phys, 90% magic and I think something like 80% fire and fairly sure it can be upgraded. Making all casters blockable (with only slight damage coming through) then all you need is fire/magic protective armour and you can just tank everything.

Most "bolt" spells such as the lightning spears and Soul Arrow/Spears are the most dodge-able things in the game. I laugh when somebody uses the lightning spears on me because you'll never hit me with it if I see it (and have enough stamina). Hell, I even pulled off dodging an ever-loving Soul Geyser when I was ganked as a Bell Keeper phantom. The ones you really have to worry about tanking are the Soulmasses and imbued weapons. Those, and the AoE spells like Firestorm and that spinny hex thing.

Most "bolt" spells such as the lightning spears and Soul Arrow/Spears are the most dodge-able things in the game. I laugh when somebody uses the lightning spears on me because you'll never hit me with it if I see it (and have enough stamina). Hell, I even pulled off dodging an ever-loving Soul Geyser when I was ganked as a Bell Keeper phantom. The ones you really have to worry about tanking are the Soulmasses and imbued weapons. Those, and the AoE spells like Firestorm and that spinny hex thing.

i'm not saying they've killed me. it's just the fact they sit back and use magic from a distance and run away when i come close to them. it's pathetic if you ask me.

i'm not saying they've killed me. it's just the fact they sit back and use magic from a distance and run away when i come close to them. it's pathetic if you ask me.

It is pathetic. But they don't have infinite casts, so if you're patient enough they should be fucked soon enough.

So saying, I always pack a pyromancy or two to help me get that extra bit of reach when fighting those mage cowards.

I don't mind that so much, what I really hate is lefthanding your bow and the controls switching... RB/RT to aim and LB/LT for each various arrow. This is confusing as hell.

Yeah, that is garbage too. Not sure why they felt the need to tweak these things with the bow, but I definitely don't like it.

i don't like how there's forced PvP in this game. one minute i'm exploring an area then the next minute i get invaded by someone. and to make it worse it's a fucking magic user that sits back throwing lightning spears at me like a pussy. just goes to show you that some people are garbage at PvP.

I'm not gonna argue about your dislike of the "forced" PvP and I realize this thread is all about bitching, but... it has been a mechanic since Demon's Souls and is a core component of the franchise as a whole; wouldn't be a Souls game without it.

However, someone playing as a "caster" isn't being a pussy and it doesn't mean they suck at PvP if they don't engage you with melee attacks (in fact, I'd say it takes quite a bit of skill to be an effective sorcerer in PvP). If they are standing back, throwing spells at you, they are playing to the strength of their build: long-range, spell-casting. Yes, spells hit hard, but they are 1) easy to avoid most of the time and 2) the caster is pretty much up shit creek at close range in a lot of cases, so the fact they do hit for a lot balances it out, in my opinion.

Guaranteed, the majority of their points have gone in to either FTH or INT (or a combination if they use Hexes) and fewer have gone into STR or DEX, meaning they are less viable for melee combat.

Pyromancy, just like in Dark Souls, is a good auxiliary function for melee focused builds to help give them some ranged casting ability to level the playing field a bit since you don't need to invest in any stat to use them, so maybe invest in upgrading a flame and attune a couple that are to your liking. In fact, it's even better in this game since the range of Pyromancies seems to have been extended quite a bit.

Edited by XperimntNterror

Yeah most spells are easy as hell to dodge, I normally jus throw 2 lightning spears to test if they know how to dodge or not. Soul mass isn't so bad gotta dodge at the last second tho but I normally cast great magic barrier and equip my shield that's highly resistant to magic and I will jus run straight at them and completely block the spell lol

I'm not gonna argue about your dislike of the "forced" PvP and I realize this thread is all about bitching, but... it has been a mechanic since Demon's Souls and is a core component of the franchise as a whole; wouldn't be a Souls game without it.

However, someone playing as a "caster" isn't being a pussy and it doesn't mean they suck at PvP if they don't engage you with melee attacks (in fact, I'd say it takes quite a bit of skill to be an effective sorcerer in PvP). If they are standing back, throwing spells at you, they are playing to the strength of their build: long-range, spell-casting. Yes, spells hit hard, but they are 1) easy to avoid most of the time and 2) the caster is pretty much up shit creek at close range in a lot of cases, so the fact they do hit for a lot balances it out, in my opinion.

Guaranteed, the majority of their points have gone in to either FTH or INT (or a combination if they use Hexes) and fewer have gone into STR or DEX, meaning they are less viable for melee combat.

Pyromancy, just like in Dark Souls, is a good auxiliary function for melee focused builds to help give them some ranged casting ability to level the playing field a bit since you don't need to invest in any stat to use them, so maybe invest in upgrading a flame and attune a couple that are to your liking. In fact, it's even better in this game since the range of Pyromancies seems to have been extended quite a bit.

the game can still have PvP just remove the invading. also magic is easy mode you sit back and spell cast dealing massive damage and stun locking from a distance (which is unfair against melee users). plus it's annoying when you wont come up to me and use a sword or something else. magic users in PvP are garbage and that is my opinion.

the game can still have PvP just remove the invading. also magic is easy mode you sit back and spell cast dealing massive damage and stun locking from a distance (which is unfair against melee users). plus it's annoying when you wont come up to me and use a sword or something else. magic users in PvP are garbage and that is my opinion.

That's not the point of the invasion mechanic. It's not about pure PvP; it's another way to create tension and (potentially) difficulty. The Souls series is all about risk/reward and the devs throw everything at you to teach you to play the game and learn from your mistakes to become a better player. Where they leave off, invasions step in to carry that even further. Some invaders are there to "duel", but most are not and they don't have to be.

Truth be told, an invading player is there to kill you. Period. By any means necessary and by any method they choose. It isn't about fairness. It's up to you as the invaded to figure out the best way to deal with them when they do show up; no different from what you have to do when you come across a new enemy. The only difference being, they aren't so easily read and you never know when one will show up. It shakes you up and maybe makes you rethink your play style for the future. In other words, it keeps it fresh.

You don't have to like it and I know a lot of people don't, but it is one of the things that has really set this series apart from everything else out there and I hope they never remove it.

Edited by XperimntNterror

That's not the point of the invasion mechanic. It's not about pure PvP; it's another way to create tension and (potentially) difficulty. The Souls series is all about risk/reward and the devs throw everything at you to teach you to play the game and learn from your mistakes to become a better player. Where they leave off, invasions step in to carry that even further. Some invaders are there to "duel", but most are not and they don't have to be.

Truth be told, an invading player is there to kill you. Period. By any means necessary and by any method they choose. It isn't about fairness. It's up to you as the invaded to figure out the best way to deal with them when they do show up; no different from what you have to do when you come across a new enemy. The only difference being, they aren't so easily read and you never know when one will show up. It shakes you up and maybe makes you rethink your play style for the future. In other words, it keeps it fresh.

You don't have to like it and I know a lot of people don't, but it is one of the things that has really set this series apart from everything else out there and I hope they never remove it.

i came to play dark souls for the single player and co-op with friends. someone coming in and ruining my enjoyment (yes invasions frustrate me a lot) then i have to play 5 minutes of hit and run. it's just completely frustrating and annoying.

PvP would of been 10x better if there was an online mode just for PvP. keep the shit out of single player/co-op games. not everyone that plays ds2 enjoys PvP or being invaded.

and another thing when someone invades me i don't "rethink my playstyle". it's just frustrating when i have to halt my progress and kill some idiot because they like ruining other players SP progress. i'm tempted to just play offline but i can't because i do co-op with a friend. and even when we are doing co-op we get invaded and even though we win it's still annoying.

regardless of what you or any avid pvp fan thinks i think forced pvp is pointless. these are my opinions and they will stay my opinions.

Edited by burntt0ad

Magic in ANY rpg is a very high risk play, we run almost no defence, low stamina, low hp, all for that nuke mechanic from our spells, it's difficult to actually pull off well, even in PvE where most bosses and a LOT of lesser enemies can one or two-shot us.

I love magic, I can one shot other unsuspecting players with my Soul Greatsword, does it feel cheap? No, because they can easily dodge it, hit me once and stagger me due to low poise from my gear then stun-lock me to death.

Sure this is a bitching thread, but I'm bitching about this bitch, Magic is far more rewarding than the old bland cliche Knight in shining armour.

Easy mode my ass...

I'd love to Duel you, one Moonlight Greatword special for defence break, and one crystal homing soulmass and you're dead with me spamming "Mock" above your fading corpse.

Magic in ANY rpg is a very high risk play, we run almost no defence, low stamina, low hp, all for that nuke mechanic from our spells, it's difficult to actually pull off well, even in PvE where most bosses and a LOT of lesser enemies can one or two-shot us.

I love magic, I can one shot other unsuspecting players with my Soul Greatsword, does it feel cheap? No, because they can easily dodge it, hit me once and stagger me due to low poise from my gear then stun-lock me to death.

Sure this is a bitching thread, but I'm bitching about this bitch, Magic is far more rewarding than the old bland cliche Knight in shining armour.

Easy mode my ass...

I'd love to Duel you, one Moonlight Greatword special for defence break, and one crystal homing soulmass and you're dead with me spamming "Mock" above your fading corpse.

Yes, and even if you fail the OHK magic spell, you can still roll out of a stun lock after about 3 hits. You can't be stunlocked "to death."

Basically, us melee builds have to be able to one shot YOU with our set up, while dodging long range attacks, while having enough stamina to get in close, charge a rolling adversary and hit them with a CQC weapon.

Bullshit it isn't easy mode. Rolls make the mage much more OP than a melee build could ever hope for.

Yes, and even if you fail the OHK magic spell, you can still roll out of a stun lock after about 3 hits. You can't be stunlocked "to death."

Basically, us melee builds have to be able to one shot YOU with our set up, while dodging long range attacks, while having enough stamina to get in close, charge a rolling adversary and hit them with a CQC weapon.

Bullshit it isn't easy mode. Rolls make the mage much more OP than a melee build could ever hope for.

You know casting big spells takes ages right?

And it depletes a VERY large chunk of stamina.

Now unless for whatever reason you seem to think rolling away from a mage is a good thing, giving them more range and time etc., just roll under spells or diagonally forward, it's easy to learn...then in the time it takes to cast, recover all that stamina and get a bit more distance, you could've dodged under the spell and gained good ground towards them.

Then if you can't kill the mage in the stun lock, fair enough, but any true mage WILL be VERY CLOSE to dying in that situation (unless you can't deal damage for shit), and if they are rolling away or running, they're depleting even more stamina and can't cast back because that would stop them completely, or slow them to a snail's pace, so you stay on their ass and cut away before they cast.

And you can be sure any mage looking for PvP will have long cast time spells, giving you a chance to break their poise in one or two hits, which if you can't do, then you are doing something wrong, lol

PvP in Dark Souls is about being relentless, you have to be prepared to go all in for a fight at the perfect moment, but sometimes you just have to wait for that moment to appear.

It's not like PvE enemies where you just stick your shield up, wait for them to do their obvious rotations and then whack away.

Doesn't take that long to cast spells really and mostpeople eat green blossoms or have stamina recovering equipment (I know I do) so stamina regens very fast and rolls have invincibillity frames especially if you have high adaption. That said when someone invades I cast magic barrier and just run straight towards them with a sunlight blade blocking or dodging all magic so it turns into a melee fight. They still cast very fast point blank magic tho

Doesn't take that long to cast spells really and mostpeople eat green blossoms or have stamina recovering equipment (I know I do) so stamina regens very fast and rolls have invincibillity frames especially if you have high adaption. That said when someone invades I cast magic barrier and just run straight towards them with a sunlight blade blocking or dodging all magic so it turns into a melee fight. They still cast very fast point blank magic tho

I agree with this - I have to say I hated pvp in DS1 but in this game I couldn't care less, there is practically nothing to lose.

My main build is melee and when I get invaded I use pyromancy to cast warmth so we can both heal (confuses some people).

Last night I beat a caster in the shaded ruins and he sent me a message saying I was the first person to roll all day that he invaded, speaks volumes to me. If you try not to see it as a bad thing you can often win pvp fights just by going on the attack or doing something unusual, and it feels very satisfying.

My biggest gripe is joining the blue sentinals I've only been summoned once in about 20-30 hrs of wearing the ring. No-one joining the covenant of the meek I guess??

The only thing i dislike about Dark Souls 2: If you press the B Button, the character won`t run even if you have condition left.

They need to fix this to make the game a little bit more fluid, its annoying sometimes...

Still getting invaded by samn blue sentinels, just had one invade me twice in the space of around 3 minutes. First time he tried to wait behind a door and chaos storm me, then the second he was hiding behind the drakekeepers on the stairs to the ancient dragon, using pursuers and other cheap tricks.

Without a doubt the worst covenant in the game.

He was so poor I managed to kill him in jester hat, tatters with great soul spear.

Easy mode my ass...

one mage user who invaded me already had his hex spells out. as soon as he went near me 80% of HP was taken out then he smacks me again with another spell. lol talk about overpowered.

Now unless for whatever reason you seem to think rolling away from a mage is a good thing, giving them more range and time etc., just roll under spells or diagonally forward, it's easy to learn...then in the time it takes to cast, recover all that stamina and get a bit more distance, you could've dodged under the spell and gained good ground towards them.

Then if you can't kill the mage in the stun lock, fair enough, but any true mage WILL be VERY CLOSE to dying in that situation (unless you can't deal damage for shit), and if they are rolling away or running, they're depleting even more stamina and can't cast back because that would stop them completely, or slow them to a snail's pace, so you stay on their ass and cut away before they cast.

And you can be sure any mage looking for PvP will have long cast time spells, giving you a chance to break their poise in one or two hits, which if you can't do, then you are doing something wrong, lol

PvP in Dark Souls is about being relentless, you have to be prepared to go all in for a fight at the perfect moment, but sometimes you just have to wait for that moment to appear.

It's not like PvE enemies where you just stick your shield up, wait for them to do their obvious rotations and then whack away.

A. It doesn't take ages. It takes 2 seconds max from the most powerful spell. You can't close running distance with that kind of time frame. And I do roll toward them; the thing you don't understand is it takes over half of my stamina to run, dodge the spell, run some more and maybe do a second dodge. Even with a Chloranthy Ring +2 I couldn't kill a mage who knows what he's doing with that little stamina left. Unless I can one shot them (which, as I said in my previous post, you can't) the opponent already has enough stamina to get a cast or two out. I have never once seen a mage who dies in 2 hits from my attacks.

B. You clearly don't try to melee mages often. Even with 31 END I don't have enough stamina to kill a mage after chasing them, because, as you seem to have forgotten, the melee fighter uses stamina to both roll and chase. Mage spell = lost stamina; melee roll = lost stamina. Both run = lost stamina.

C. As for your snide assumption that I turtle enemies, how about you show a bit of fucking courtesy. I use rolls and parries/ripostes more than I've ever held my shield up.

The only thing i dislike about Dark Souls 2: If you press the B Button, the character won`t run even if you have condition left.

They need to fix this to make the game a little bit more fluid, its annoying sometimes...

That's actually a mechanic.

If you completely deplete your Stamina bar, you won't be able to sprint for a good 2-3 seconds.

wrath of god is FUCKING OP : insta kill, fast cast, can't roll through like DS 1 and even when i roll away it hits me from 3 meters WTF :rant:

If it serves as any consolation, at least it's somewhat difficult to obtain in Dark Souls II. You either have to be a dedicated (and very lucky) Blue Sentinel, or progress into NG++

:o

Edited by Hagane

I seriously fucking hate how OP is the magic in this game. Today got invaded two times and both of the dudes were magic spammers and 1-2 shot killed me. It doesn't help the fact there were 3-4 enemies around me as well. :/

Barely scratch some of their health with my mastodon greatsword +10.

Fun!