Fanorona Solved - Online Game vs. The AC3 Opponent

Splinter4

I was having a complete meltdown trying to beat that damn Fanorona game inside of the Manor at the Homestead... until I found this:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/180a/projects/fanorona/

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7743&stc=1&d=1360706193

This is by far the best option I could find. It's a simple yet very effective Java version of Fanorona that you can play online.

* Please note: I was using a MacBook Pro and I couldn't get the game to work on Firefox, but it did work for me on Safari.

The idea is to duplicate exactly each move that your AC3 opponent makes vs the link's AI, which creates a Computer vs. Computer scenario.

If you let your AC3 opponent go first, then setup the online game with the following settings...

- Human plays the black pieces

- Computer plays the white pieces

- Black's pieces start at top of board

- Black makes the first move

- Algebraic notation (not sure if this matters)

- Long move log format (not sure if this matters)

- Multiple captures on first move ok

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7744&stc=1&d=1360706200

Also, there's no animation so it can be hard to see multiple moves that the computer makes. Check the Tab labeled "Move Log" to see each move.

The board is unmarked, but navigates from the bottom row far-left.

Going left-to-right: a-thru-i

Going bottom-to-top: 1-thru-6

And the "Move Log" will look like this:

1. d3>e3 f4>f3

2. d2>d3 c5>d4

3. e2>e3

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7745&stc=1&d=1360706209

Hope this helps.

Cheers :drunk

...let me just add that this actually worked to beat the AC3 opponent (Expert) on my very first try. And let me tell ya' I was overjoyed, to say the least!

The online game started off a little questionable, making moves I didn't quite understand... but after about 5-6 turns, the online game had setup a move that eliminated 9 pieces in one turn (chained of course). And from there it thoroughly dominated the AC3 opponent. :cool: Sweet!

Fanorona and the Morris games aren't all that bad. Just remember the key to all sports/games etc...Make your opponent make the move YOU want him to make. Don't let him stay within his game. Make him play your game. Put him into a situation where he is constantly having to react to you instead of being allowed to make the moves he wants to make.

I am trying to acess this link but even with safari i am getting the off line page. cant conect to the server. anyone is getting that message too?

Hey SukuraKiddo,

I just tried the link (@ about midnight PST Thursday 2/21/13) and it worked fine on both Firefox and Safari. Maybe it was just down temporarily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the link... The settings you listed are a little jumbled up and I was getting super frustrated. Here is the correct settings (thanks to sister site ps3trophies.org)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/assassins-creed-iii/177959-fanorona-expert-easy-win-method.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOW IT WORKS

Before playing, you might want do a setup first.

After that, let Achilles(ACIII) play first, input his moves in this program and you will rip him off in no time http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

P.S. This method could also be able to be applied on other games as well

THE SETUP

[important!]Make sure the settings is saved after the changes, it seems that some browsers will reverse your changes and cause failure to this method. Using another browser might help.(Thanks BBurgSteve for this)

Under Level: Three-ply fixed depth search(Necessary, thanks to Obie83)

Under Options:

1. Computer plays black pieces
  2. Human plays white pieces
  3. White pieces start at top
  4. White makes first move
  5. Long move log format
  6. Mulitple captures on first move ok(might not be necessary)

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO MOVE AND TAKE

*Remember you(Achilles) are the White pieces

1. To move your desired white piece, instead of clicking on it, you choose the black piece to take.
    [important!]If you choose a black piece but the program doesn't move, it means more than 1 white piece can be use to take that particular piece. You will need to click on the white piece and DRAG it to the position you want to move.
  2. Repeat the above if there are multiple takes.
  3. When your move ends, black piece will automatically move and THIS is your respond move to put back in the game.
  4. *Sometimes Achilles stop his move even if he can take more, in that case, you should use PASS.
  5. In late games where you have to move without taking pieces, this time you click on the White piece and click on the position you want to move.

(If you made a mistake moving, you can always use the UNDO button)

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO READ THE MOVE LOG

(Reminder: This requires you to enable Long move log format under options first)

If you couldn't figure out your respond move, you can use the move log as a reference. Here it uses Column a to i (left to right) and Row 5 to 1 (top to bottom) to label the pieces and every step is outlined in the format of "Movement x taken pieces". For example, "d3-e3 x f3" means it goes from d3 to e3 and it took f3 in this movement.

• 1 month later...
...let me just add that this actually worked to beat the AC3 opponent (Expert) on my very first try. And let me tell ya' I was overjoyed, to say the least!

The online game started off a little questionable, making moves I didn't quite understand... but after about 5-6 turns, the online game had setup a move that eliminated 9 pieces in one turn (chained of course). And from there it thoroughly dominated the AC3 opponent. :cool: Sweet!

Thanks for this!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...