New to MADDEN NFL..PLEASE Help on Madden 06...

Frozen x360a

So I'm British meaning I don't have a clue who Madden is, how this game is played and what these controls mean, they're in a different language to me..I don't even know how to pass a ball, everytime the scrum thing kicks off someone takes me down..Been playing offline game for an hour now and not a SINGLE achievement unlocked..so RT is sprint and A is pass? Well that's all I've managed to figure out after an hour and I can't even make it 10 metres down the line let alone score a touchdown let alone win a game let alone sim 4 hours of franchise..I just need some guidance please..

Btw I only posted here and not in the Madden 06 forums because the last post over there was over 6 months ago so I would have never got any answers there. Please mods don't delete this thread before I get some helpful answers I bought the game for the 1000 I'd like to return it with a 1000 as a fellow achievement hunter..

Help/Thanks/Peace.

Without sounding rude, it seems your questions could be answered by opening up and reading the manual (assuming the game came with one of course).

Yes the game came with an manual and yes I've already read it..it doesn't contain the rules of the game neither do the controls help as they're the same in-game..I just don't understand these words..

I had the same issue last year. Couldn't get a single achievement, so deleted it from my game history and sent it back. God awful game, and glad I don't have it showing on my profile.

I'm considering it.. :L

If you are looking for someone to teach you the rules of football and how it works, I can help you out.

Yes Please?

"I know nothing about American Football, I know, I'll get an American Football game." Good plan genius...

All you need to know is - Get the ball into the opposition's end zone, stop the other team doing the same. Simple.

I did your Googling for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Madden

So I'm British meaning I don't have a clue who Madden is

He is a very loud man who is well known for being loud about football.

First thing to know about American Football is that every rule in the game has another rule to contradict it. Or at least it seems that way initially. It will not make sense for a long long time.

Once you accept in your soul that you cannot understand the game, only then you will understand the game.

Sadly... It's not as zen as it sounds.

Second thing is that they love their stats. It's all about stats. Seriously, it's insane.

Third and most important: Cheerleaders and tailgate parties. The video games cannot convey this, but tailgate parties are a blast.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to make a pot of chili.

[spoiler=balls]

http://cstrips.bitstrips.com/8551L_SQ9S.png

Ok, nothing against the OP here, but a few weeks ago I posted a help topic for another game in this section because the forum traffic for that game was low. My topic got locked and deleted within a minute yet this has been up for hours.

Bah. Should know better than posting in an incorrect area. *Shakes paw at you.*

Shame shame.

"I know nothing about American Football, I know, I'll get an American Football game." Good plan genius...

All you need to know is - Get the ball into the opposition's end zone, stop the other team doing the same. Simple.

I did your Googling for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Madden

Well the game isn't restricted to only Americans you know, most people probably bought it for the gamerscore anyway, the wiki pages really don't help I mean what do you expect me to do read several thousand words when really someone could just tell me the controls and pass techniques etc because thats all I really need help with. - I don't understand the controls..everytime the game kicks off I lose the ball..

He is a very loud man who is well known for being loud about football.

First thing to know about American Football is that every rule in the game has another rule to contradict it. Or at least it seems that way initially. It will not make sense for a long long time.

Once you accept in your soul that you cannot understand the game, only then you will understand the game.

Sadly... It's not as zen as it sounds.

Second thing is that they love their stats. It's all about stats. Seriously, it's insane.

Third and most important: Cheerleaders and tailgate parties. The video games cannot convey this, but tailgate parties are a blast.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to make a pot of chili.

[spoiler=balls]

http://cstrips.bitstrips.com/8551L_SQ9S.png

Very amusing, but some real help? Well you made me lol anyway.

Well the game isn't restricted to only Americans you know, most people probably bought it for the gamerscore anyway, the wiki pages really don't help I mean what do you expect me to do read several thousand words when really someone could just tell me the controls and pass techniques etc because thats all I really need help with. - I don't understand the controls..everytime the game kicks off I lose the ball..

I didn't say it was restricted to Americans only, YOU said you know nothing about American Football. It begs the question, why buy an American Football game...

You then replied to a guy offering to tell you the rules of American Football, hence the wiki link for that. And the wiki link for John Madden is self explanatory.

It will take someone ages to tell you all the different tactics and plays for either a running game, a passing game and defending. Unless you're a fan of the game or have some basic knowledge beforehand, I think you'll find it pretty tough to get into. Just my opinion though.

Ok off memory (haven't played Madden since 06 lol)... When on offence, manually select your play (the things with the arrows). Ideally you want Shotgun Passes. Then select one that shows a wide player break directly out and away from the defence. When play starts, hold whichever button brings the manual pass controls over a players head, throw it down the left (whichever button your wide guy is) and run for your life haha. If your offence play is too far to the left side of the field, reverse the play and gun it down the right. This seemed a simple stategy to mop that game up. If you get tackled before a touchdown and end up real close to the touchdown line, select a Short/Quick Pass play.

When on defence, just select Blitz, select a player who is relatively open, break position and get him some space. Once their team play, break through and "sack" their quarterback (tackle the guy with the ball before he throws it). Do this a few times and you get offence again if they've not made any ground.

Thats about all you'll need to learn, in NFL-for-dummies form, to 1K this game haha.

Madden 06 has got to be one of the easiest 1000's on the 360. Did you even read the achievement guide? It's idiot-proof. It tells you what you have to do to unlock a specific achievement.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/madden-nfl-06/guide/#

For example:

Get a First Down - 20 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Gain a first down in any offline game mode.

Get a First Down in any offline game mode. A first down is when one of your players crosses that yellow line that's always going across the field. You have 4 attempts to cross that line. If you do not make it over in 4 attempts, you will turn the ball over to the other team. You also have the option of punting it away after 3rd down (punting does not give you a first down). You must cross the yellow line once to earn a first down though.

Score a Touchdown - 30 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/site/gp-g.png

Score a Touchdown in any Offline game mode.

What you basically have to do is score a touchdown while in an offline game. A touchdown is one of the ways to score points in AF (American Football). All AF fields are 100 yards long. At each end of the football field (not on the sides but on the top and bottom) are two 10 yard endzones. You must enter this area with the player that is holding the ball to score a touchdown. You can either run or throw the ball. You must enter the zone that your screen is pointing you into.

What to do:

When you are on offense (when your team has the ball), if you call a passing play (where you, um, pass the ball), press A, B, X, Y or RB to throw it to a receiver when there's no one around them. If you call a running play, the quarterback (the guy who the ball is hiked to and the one who throws it) automatically hands it off to the player that's standing behind him. When you get control of either a receiver or running back, move the left stick to try to avoid the defenders.

When you are on defense, your goal is to get the ball back before the other team scores. You can intercept the ball if it has been passed or tackle the player that has the ball before they can get a first down. Another way to get the ball back is to cause a fumble (when the defense forceably makes the receiver/running back drop the ball) and recover the ball. Do whatever it takes to not have the other team score.

If you follow the achievement guide and roadmap, you don't HAVE to know anything about American Football. If you just want the 1000, read it. It tells you specifically how to get every achievement in layman's terms.

Besides, if I remember right, you can basically sim almost everything and get every achievement in the game (expect the Super Bowl one and the 30 year Franchise... good luck grinding for four hours on that one...)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...