Capture Cards

A J

I have been thinking about buying a capture card so that i can make videos and tutorials for youtube and i was wondering if anv of you guys would recommend and certain ones and could you please post the price and where to get them . Thanks . Ajay ..

How much money are you willing to spend? If you are okay with decent quality, Dazzle delivers for a friendly price, around 60 bucks I believe.

If you want HD capture cards, check out the BlackMagic Intensity Pro and the Hauppauge HD PVR. They cost a lot more, but the quality is pretty neat.

The BM can record through Component cable and HDMI, and is installed in your computer. The Hauppauge records only through Component cable, and records via USB.

I've used both the BlackMagic and the Hauppauge, when the BM broke I decided to get a Hauppauge, but I think both work really well. I haven't heard of anyone else having their BM break down either, so I guess I was just unlucky. I liked the BM being able to make screenshots, though, and the delay between what's going on on the TV and the computer is minimal, if you have the Hauppauge, you have more delay, about a second.

[spoiler=we]

This is one of my video's where I recorded with the BlackMagic (Video's might contain spoilers for Assassin's Creed II):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9QMCdLHrc8&feature=PlayList&p=CA893B21716AA89C&index=4]YouTube- Assassin's Creed II: Santa Maria Dei Frari - 1/2 HD[/ame]

And here's one for the Hauppauge (skip the first part as it's rather dark):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_Aa6lIYQc&feature=related]YouTube- Assassin's Creed II: Arsenal Shipyard HD[/ame]

I can't really help you with where to get them and for what price, it varies. The BlackMagic has a list of stores in several countries, so it's recommended to check that. I quickly looked up one store and it mentioned £114, a store for the Hauppauge mentioned £164.

I see Dazzles a lot in your average electronics stores.

I got the Dazzle Premium for $55 at Best Buy and the a/v cables and splitters for about $25 at Radio Shack. It captures in good quality and records sound well, but you'll notice a huge drop in picture quality on the TV while you're playing - especially if you're use to gaming in HD. It had easy enough setup to where I was already capturing videos an hour after I opened it up. It comes with Pinnacle Studio 12 video editing software which is pretty basic and comparable to Windows MovieMaker. If you're not planning on using it for anything on a professional type level then the Dazzle is worth checking out.