To buy or not to buy

Tortyreus

So, what do you guys think? Buy, or not?

I'm a long time fan of the series and love all the game, currently reading the books and looking for the comics, but I have to say I'm not sure for the following reasons:

1: Baird and Cole game. The thing that kept me so excited about the other games was Marcus and Dom, I always found Baird annoying, but at times funny. And Cole, I don't know, just don't like him. Although he did get some depth in Gears of War 3.

2: the lack of support for Gears of War 3 MP. Sure, it was the first game to reach 2000 GP with 4 DLCs, but after Fenix Rising, it didn't get any support at all. It took them sometimes 3 weeks to update the event, and generally a lot of things could have been improved upon, but they decided it was better to work on a new game then support the one out there currently, because yeah, the money was made, no need to support right? The sponging, the smaller hitboxes could have been fixed, nay, SHOULD have been fixed. And not only that, after 8 months of painful waiting I finally got 30 event ribbons, and 1 week after that, they gave everyone an automatic 29/30. Yes, that made me real mad. Sure, good for the people that were stuck and new, but come on...

3: I said I wouldn't buy this game. But now with the game closing in to being released, a little voice inside my head keeps saying I should buy it. Except for the recently released Dead Space 3, I have no other games to look forward to the entire year (unless Ubisoft decides to pull another Assassin's Creed game out of it's @ss)

So, just me having this dilemma?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what do you guys think? Buy, or not?

I'm a long time fan of the series and love all the game, currently reading the books and looking for the comics, but I have to say I'm not sure for the following reasons:

1: Baird and Cole game. The thing that kept me so excited about the other games was Marcus and Dom, I always found Baird annoying, but at times funny. And Cole, I don't know, just don't like him. Although he did get some depth in Gears of War 3.

2: the lack of support for Gears of War 3 MP. Sure, it was the first game to reach 2000 GP with 4 DLCs, but after Fenix Rising, it didn't get any support at all. It took them sometimes 3 weeks to update the event, and generally a lot of things could have been improved upon, but they decided it was better to work on a new game then support the one out there currently, because yeah, the money was made, no need to support right? The sponging, the smaller hitboxes could have been fixed, nay, SHOULD have been fixed. And not only that, after 8 months of painful waiting I finally got 30 event ribbons, and 1 week after that, they gave everyone an automatic 29/30. Yes, that made me real mad. Sure, good for the people that were stuck and new, but come on...

3: I said I wouldn't buy this game. But now with the game closing in to being released, a little voice inside my head keeps saying I should buy it. Except for the recently released Dead Space 3, I have no other games to look forward to the entire year (unless Ubisoft decides to pull another Assassin's Creed game out of it's @ss)

1) I honestly don't care that much about the story and the characters in it. I see it as a mode that allows me to team up with 3 other people and have a fun co-op experience. I normally buy games that will keep me busy and satisfied in the long run with its online multiplayer (that's why I'm a huge fan of shooters and fighting games).

2) Post launch DLC is great to provide a fresh experience as time goes by. The lack of this can kill a game's online multiplayer. But the thing that pissed me off the most is the fact that the first map pack was on the disc and Epic's "wise" decision to get rid of the dedicated servers for people who haven't bought the DLC's.

3) Desperate times call for desperate measures. During a time where no great games are being released, you may end up buying something you'll regret. That's how I ended up buying Fear 3... (don't judge me -.-')

Anyway, if you're on the fence, just wait till the reviews are out or buy it when it gets a price cut. Crysis 3 may also be a great alternative btw.

I'm only buying the game if it has dedicated servers, which i doubt it will.

As I said in a previous thread, I doubt that Gears is going to gain too many fans from a douche character's side-story. Baird is very hit-or-miss, you either love his smartass (and cocky) remarks, or you just completely dismiss him as a antisocial asshole. Cole on the other hand, he's a pretty alright character in my opinion. (Maybe you need to read the books to see him in "that" way though, I dunno if the trilogy did his character justice except for the Thrashball flashback in Gears 3.) I've no doubt that the Campaign will be great, so (broken canon aside) I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Gears 3 Versus was just... a lot of weird stuff. You had a bunch of good intentions from Epic at the start like: Dedicated Servers (they worked until December-ish), a faster game pace, and trying out new ideas that still worked with Gears gameplay. Unfortunately, the Retro Lancer, LAG, terrible map design, and questionable events stole any limelight that Gears 3 had made with it's progress in terms of Versus gameplay. (By far the biggest concern continues to be lag, which I doubt will ever get fixed in this generation of consoles.) So yeah, Gears 3 was the Black Ops of Gears- 100% weird soup, a lot of good stuff, and a lot of bad stuff. I'm sure that Judgment will try to remedy some of those problems, but I personally doubt it'll accomplish anything big. (They're doing a decent job at balancing weapons already, but we'll have to see how things play on in the actual game rather than on pencil and paper to make a final verdict!)

This game is either going to be revolutionary for Gears, or it's going to cement it's downfall. It's literally all-or-nothing here, since so many changes are taking place.

It certainly isn't just you having this dilemma. ;) (Also Tortyreus, try Dark Souls if you've nothing else to buy during the year. It's a fantastic game that even I doubted was worth the hype, but I'm a believer now! :D)

1) I honestly don't care that much about the story and the characters in it. I see it as a mode that allows me to team up with 3 other people and have a fun co-op experience. I normally buy games that will keep me busy and satisfied in the long run with its online multiplayer (that's why I'm a huge fan of shooters and fighting games).

2) Post launch DLC is great to provide a fresh experience as time goes by. The lack of this can kill a game's online multiplayer. But the thing that pissed me off the most is the fact that the first map pack was on the disc and Epic's "wise" decision to get rid of the dedicated servers for people who haven't bought the DLC's.

3) Desperate times call for desperate measures. During a time where no great games are being released, you may end up buying something you'll regret. That's how I ended up buying Fear 3... (don't judge me -.-')

Anyway, if you're on the fence, just wait till the reviews are out or buy it when it gets a price cut. Crysis 3 may also be a great alternative btw.

I'm only buying the game if it has dedicated servers, which i doubt it will.

I definitely play games first and foremost for the campaign, Gears of War 3 is the only game in which the Multiplayer sucked me in. I take a good campaign over a good multiplayer any time though.

The DLC itself wasn't the problem, I think that RAAM's Shadow was way better then the retail-campaign. It's just that, after Fenix Rising, they did NOTHING to the game, no updates, the new events started taking multiple weeks to change, no answers from Epic (I even wrote them a letter) about anything...

I might just wait, like you said, for the price cut. The pre-order bonuses don't look that great to be honest, and I don't like that you have to buy from a specific store to get a specific character. The exclusive stuff that we might get at the beginning of the game might be worthless (like in GoW3 with the flaming skins and Beta Tester medal) if the game isn't worth it.

As I said in a previous thread, I doubt that Gears is going to gain too many fans from a douche character's side-story. Baird is very hit-or-miss, you either love his smartass (and cocky) remarks, or you just completely dismiss him as a antisocial asshole. Cole on the other hand, he's a pretty alright character in my opinion. (Maybe you need to read the books to see him in "that" way though, I dunno if the trilogy did his character justice except for the Thrashball flashback in Gears 3.) I've no doubt that the Campaign will be great, so (broken canon aside) I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Gears 3 Versus was just... a lot of weird stuff. You had a bunch of good intentions from Epic at the start like: Dedicated Servers (they worked until December-ish), a faster game pace, and trying out new ideas that still worked with Gears gameplay. Unfortunately, the Retro Lancer, LAG, terrible map design, and questionable events stole any limelight that Gears 3 had made with it's progress in terms of Versus gameplay. (By far the biggest concern continues to be lag, which I doubt will ever get fixed in this generation of consoles.) So yeah, Gears 3 was the Black Ops of Gears- 100% weird soup, a lot of good stuff, and a lot of bad stuff. I'm sure that Judgment will try to remedy some of those problems, but I personally doubt it'll accomplish anything big. (They're doing a decent job at balancing weapons already, but we'll have to see how things play on in the actual game rather than on pencil and paper to make a final verdict!)

This game is either going to be revolutionary for Gears, or it's going to cement it's downfall. It's literally all-or-nothing here, since so many changes are taking place.

It certainly isn't just you having this dilemma. ;) (Also Tortyreus, try Dark Souls if you've nothing else to buy during the year. It's a fantastic game that even I doubted was worth the hype, but I'm a believer now! :D)

Yes, the maps themselves were good-looking, although the majority are too large (especially the ones introduced with DLC, I mean, Academy, Anvil... Really? Could they have possibly made them any bigger? No wonder KOTH is as dead as can be, who wants to run around a map for half a minute just to get 1 kill in and get killed at the same time.) are strange, weird weapon placement (3000 heavy weapon kills, how can we get that legit when all the heavy weapons are on the most vulnerable places in the map?), and way too big.

The problem is, they try to fix things with Judgement, but let's not forget they tried this with GoW 3 as well, and failed horribly. They also tried to get rid of the reset glitch, and failed. They tried to "balance weapons" (in other words, making it easier for noobs to get kills with CODified weapons) with the introduction of Retro and SoS, and also failed. Their plans were great, the execution of those plans were just awful. Digger is as unstable as can be, sometimes when it shouldn't have landed anywhere near you somehow it gets stuck in your body, other times you can fire it straight into a non-moving opponent and it will pass through him without exploding.

I think it's going to be the demise of the Gears franchise. The focus was always on Marcus and Dom, who were also the most loved characters in the game, not Baird or Cole. I remember thinking at the beginning of GoW3 when you play as Cole; they better not do this the entire game, showing both sides from different perspectives. Luckily they didn't.

Also, Dark Souls? The other day I was just looking into that game at the local Gamestop, haha, it did look interesting, bit fantasy/RPG like, right? Maybe that's something to look into.

I love Dragon Age and Skyrim and Witcher 2 :D

What do you think of it, is it good, and what kind of game is it anyway?

Edited by Tortyreus

I really dont want to buy because I got my rank reset in Gears 3 for no reason. So i wasnt able to get the rest of the gamerscore i could have gotten( excluding seriously).

I Honestly hope this game tanks. Im still angry about my rank and I feel like its way to soon to be miliking for money. especially since its not a Marcus Dom Story.

Why did they not do the Pendelum Wars? Where We could play as Marcus and Dom, Maybe see where and how they met.

all in all, im going to try my best to avoid this game and telling others to do the same

Boycott the first week at least so there sales suck

I really dont want to buy because I got my rank reset in Gears 3 for no reason. So i wasnt able to get the rest of the gamerscore i could have gotten( excluding seriously).

I Honestly hope this game tanks. Im still angry about my rank and I feel like its way to soon to be miliking for money. especially since its not a Marcus Dom Story.

Why did they not do the Pendelum Wars? Where We could play as Marcus and Dom, Maybe see where and how they met.

all in all, im going to try my best to avoid this game and telling others to do the same

Boycott the first week at least so there sales suck

So, it's there fault that you didn't back up your save? They told people to back it up, because they don't know what causes the glitch, there's even a tutorial on there forums explaining exactly how to back it up using either Cloud or USB, there's no excuse.

Also, Dark Souls? The other day I was just looking into that game at the local Gamestop, haha, it did look interesting, bit fantasy/RPG like, right? Maybe that's something to look into.

I love Dragon Age and Skyrim and Witcher 2

What do you think of it, is it good, and what kind of game is it anyway?

It's a third-person dark fantasy game, with a notoriety for being "difficult". (The game has "PREPARE TO DIE" on the back of the box :D)

I love it, aside from Gears 2 it's probably the game I've played the most on my 360. (Over 1100 hours to be specific.) It definitely is worth renting at least, if you're not completely sure. ;)

Sorry for going off-topic. :drunk

It's a third-person dark fantasy game, with a notoriety for being "difficult". (The game has "PREPARE TO DIE" on the back of the box :D)

I love it, aside from Gears 2 it's probably the game I've played the most on my 360. (Over 1100 hours to be specific.) It definitely is worth renting at least, if you're not completely sure. ;)

Sorry for going off-topic. :drunk

That's good to know, I'll definitely look it up now then! ;)

Hmm, my most played game is GoW3 and let's just say I don't want to know how many hours I've wasted on it, haha. I got really addicted to the point where seeing the 175+ appear on my screen basically became a high I needed to chase every minute :p

Ah, no worries, if I remember correctly I asked what you thought of the game so it's good :drunk

just made up my mind, I'm NOT buying Judgement.

Every single piece of news I've heard so far seems boring and game-breaking.

Gnasher only 8 shots. Automatic ammo pickup when running over it. No DBNO. Lancer nerfed, Hammy nerfed, Retro only slight nerf, Gnasher nerf, Sawed-off Massive BUFF! What the hell? 2 goddamn rounds in the SoS? And the downside is "it's harder to kill multiple people with it". Are you kidding me! As if it is very common for 2 players to walk right next to each other just to get killed easily by some noob SoS user. And they're considering buffing the incendiary. No DBNO means even less tactical teamwork. Although, killstealing might be gone though, but probably not. Overrun sounds boring as hell and might be fun for 1 hour or something before becoming like Beast; annoying. No stun on Ink, at least they did something right. Also, Tac com was handy as hell when someone threw Smoke or on Trenches with the Sandstorm, why can't we look through it anymore?

Also, NO LOCUST ON MP?! Is this true? What the hell, just because people didn't like playing as Locust? Who? I loved playing as locust!

Dedicated servers are probably not there, even though they are promising.

The Campaign is about Baird and Cole, the least interesting characters of the Gears franchise.

So, if you've followed me this far down here; let's sum it up. Retro gets slight nerf, still the best weapon though, SoS gets buffed. No DBNO. No locust (in other words, humans against humans. Even more fkd up, blue against red humans.) Gnasher gets nerfed, no spare ammo. CODification of Gears of War: 90%. We're soon there people, Gears of War: Black Ops will be released next year!

just made up my mind, I'm NOT buying Judgement.

Every single piece of news I've heard so far seems boring and game-breaking.

Gnasher only 8 shots. Automatic ammo pickup when running over it. No DBNO. Lancer nerfed, Hammy nerfed, Retro only slight nerf, Gnasher nerf, Sawed-off Massive BUFF! What the hell? 2 goddamn rounds in the SoS? And the downside is "it's harder to kill multiple people with it". Are you kidding me! As if it is very common for 2 players to walk right next to each other just to get killed easily by some noob SoS user. And they're considering buffing the incendiary. No DBNO means even less tactical teamwork. Although, killstealing might be gone though, but probably not. Overrun sounds boring as hell and might be fun for 1 hour or something before becoming like Beast; annoying. No stun on Ink, at least they did something right. Also, Tac com was handy as hell when someone threw Smoke or on Trenches with the Sandstorm, why can't we look through it anymore?

Also, NO LOCUST ON MP?! Is this true? What the hell, just because people didn't like playing as Locust? Who? I loved playing as locust!

Dedicated servers are probably not there, even though they are promising.

The Campaign is about Baird and Cole, the least interesting characters of the Gears franchise.

So, if you've followed me this far down here; let's sum it up. Retro gets slight nerf, still the best weapon though, SoS gets buffed. No DBNO. No locust (in other words, humans against humans. Even more fkd up, blue against red humans.) Gnasher gets nerfed, no spare ammo. CODification of Gears of War: 90%. We're soon there people, Gears of War: Black Ops will be released next year!

I feel mostly the same way, but I still pre-ordered it for the free 1600MSP from MS. Basically, it puts the price at $39.99, which is what I think this game might be worth.

I feel mostly the same way, but I still pre-ordered it for the free 1600MSP from MS. Basically, it puts the price at $39.99, which is what I think this game might be worth.

Pretty much, also don't forget about Alex Brand and the Protoburst you're getting too :p (And the Gears 1 code! :D)

Come on, as if us elitist Gears players don't have Gears of War 1 yet ;)

I've had to buy Gears 1 three separate times, and I no longer have the third one. D: (First one burnt out/didn't work anymore, I left the second one along with a few CDs of mine in a hotel while traveling with my high school track team, and I gave my third copy away.)

Yep, about time I get a digital version! :D

No split-screen couch co-op = no buy for me, at least new. I'll wait to get this used so MS/Epic doesn't get my money. I can live with no Locust or no DBNO since I rarely play multiplayer anyway, but to enjoy the campaign with a friend in my own house just fucked it all up.

No split-screen couch co-op = no buy for me, at least new. I'll wait to get this used so MS/Epic doesn't get my money. I can live with no Locust or no DBNO since I rarely play multiplayer anyway, but to enjoy the campaign with a friend in my own house just fucked it all up.

At least we don't have to get every damned onyx medal. All onyx medals + no split-screen would be a hell worse than S3.0!

I've had to buy Gears 1 three separate times, and I no longer have the third one. D: (First one burnt out/didn't work anymore, I left the second one along with a few CDs of mine in a hotel while traveling with my high school track team, and I gave my third copy away.)

Yep, about time I get a digital version! :D

Haha, I've only gotten 1 extra copy of Gears of War 1, but that was simply because for some reason, my Xbox got all strange and it scratched my disc in a perfect circle.

*clap I'm out. Too many changes. I figure I'll thoroughly disappointed by this game.

:whs

At least we don't have to get every damned onyx medal. All onyx medals + no split-screen would be a hell worse than S3.0!

You said "...we don't have to get...". I one of those people who never intended to try to unlock S3.0. I personally don't have to get anything. I'm not going to waste 50+ hours of my life playing the *same* thing over and over and over and over again to unlock one damn achievement, no matter what the gamerscore. Same with S1 and S2.0, or even "Veteran Gear" for Gears 2. I don't see the point in achievements like that. It's overkill. I'm 80% complete on my games and I'm happy with that. Shitty time consuming achievements just irritate me, but no one said I had to unlock them, just like no one said I *had* to buy DLC. I choose how to play the game that I purchased and I play games because they are fun. "Seriously" is not fun in my eyes. No one is going to convince me otherwise. I have unlocked only two Onyx medals in Gears 3, and one of them is the Event one (I think the other one is the Force Multiplier one). I'm completely satisfied with that. But I'm not going to condemn a developer because of what achievements they put in the game, I'm going to play the game for myself and then judge them.

I admit, I've boosted my fair share of games, like both Transformers, Medal of Honor, Gears 1 (for weapons), Gears 2 (for Horde), Wolfenstein, Future Soldier, Goldeneye, Turning Point and Call of Duty 3, but I chose not to try to unlock S1, S2.0 or S3.0. I've probably spent maybe 40 hours total unlocking achievements in all those other games. And I've waste A LOT of my time playing shitty games for gamerscore. I'm a dedicated gamer, but the Seriously achievements are just dumb in my opinion.

No split-screen is a deal breaker for me. Plain and simple. It's asinine to *not* put it in there when the three other games in the series had it. I understand how people feel about DBNO, and while that was a cool and useful game mechanic, I don't care if it's in there or not, although they've made the push for this game to be a generic shooter and not one that stands out from the crowd. Like I said, I'll wait to get it used or when it's cheaper on eBay or Gamefly or even Gamestop so Microsoft, Epic and People Can Fuck Off don't get my money. :ass

I'm not ranting on you by any means xhunterrrr, just expressing my opinions. :)

You said "...we don't have to get...". I one of those people who never intended to try to unlock S3.0. I personally don't have to get anything. I'm not going to waste 50+ hours of my life playing the *same* thing over and over and over and over again to unlock one damn achievement, no matter what the gamerscore. Same with S1 and S2.0, or even "Veteran Gear" for Gears 2. I don't see the point in achievements like that. It's overkill. I'm 80% complete on my games and I'm happy with that. Shitty time consuming achievements just irritate me, but no one said I had to unlock them, just like no one said I *had* to buy DLC. I choose how to play the game that I purchased and I play games because they are fun. "Seriously" is not fun in my eyes. No one is going to convince me otherwise. I have unlocked only two Onyx medals in Gears 3, and one of them is the Event one (I think the other one is the Force Multiplier one). I'm completely satisfied with that. But I'm not going to condemn a developer because of what achievements they put in the game, I'm going to play the game for myself and then judge them.

I admit, I've boosted my fair share of games, like both Transformers, Medal of Honor, Gears 1 (for weapons), Gears 2 (for Horde), Wolfenstein, Future Soldier, Goldeneye, Turning Point and Call of Duty 3, but I chose not to try to unlock S1, S2.0 or S3.0. I've probably spent maybe 40 hours total unlocking achievements in all those other games. And I've waste A LOT of my time playing shitty games for gamerscore. I'm a dedicated gamer, but the Seriously achievements are just dumb in my opinion.

No split-screen is a deal breaker for me. Plain and simple. It's asinine to *not* put it in there when the three other games in the series had it. I understand how people feel about DBNO, and while that was a cool and useful game mechanic, I don't care if it's in there or not, although they've made the push for this game to be a generic shooter and not one that stands out from the crowd. Like I said, I'll wait to get it used or when it's cheaper on eBay or Gamefly or even Gamestop so Microsoft, Epic and People Can Fuck Off don't get my money. :ass

I'm not ranting on you by any means xhunterrrr, just expressing my opinions. :)

No, it is completely fine. I am still not done with S3.0. I work on it a little a week (and even took many months off where I didn't do anything). That way, I don't get too burned out on it and start hating myself for doing it.