Has anybody's save game literally just disappeared?

Dannyb0yUK

To illustrate my scenario:

Played last night on system link co-op, two players. Let the game auto-save, then turned my console straight off via the controller.

Turned it on tonight and went to main menu, no continue option available. Only the option to start a new game. I check my system memory and there is literally no save, it has just gone. Not even a corrupted save file or anything, just my hard drive install.

Starting a new game, I was given the option of starting from any of chapters 1-4 (the furthest I'd reached) and the game starts me off at a brand new level 11 with 500$ cash, all my items are gone, some quests done with rewards waiting/some done with no rewards/some not available at all. Yet I still have all my achievement progress intact.

I've read about people having their saves corrupted, but has anyone had a save vanish into thin air? I don't think I'll bother continuing with the game if this happens again, that's for sure.

I had something sort of similar. I turned on the game and went to selected Play (I never use any games continue setting) only to find my main save file gone. I was about to shit a brick until out of pure whim I selected continue and it loaded up my save exactly as it was when I left. By the way, achievement progress is saved to your gamertag so you could essentially do 50 blunt melée kills on one save file. And 200 on another and you'll still unlock the achievement.

Also, here's something I've learned from playing games, ALWAYS exit to the main menu before you turn off the power. You never know what horrible glitch could occur.

I have read around the 'net that exiting to the menu (press start and then Y) before turning off your system might be a way to avoid losing your save (other than backing it up). It forces another auto save as well. I don't know how legitimate it is, but extra precaution can't hurt especially when you're forced to rely on one save.

I wish they would have allowed you to create as many save files as you want. After issues with Fallout 3 i would make a new save file every 30 minutes, along with the auto saves. This game makes me very nervous considering the number of people having problems. I have had next to non so far.

Here's what happened to me. Stopped playing one night, quit from game to main menu. Game froze on main menu. I restarted Xbox and started up Dead Island. When game started up, it was basically the same thing you ran in to. No continue option, no longer a dead island save file on my HD. All that was there when I checked the folder was the Ripper dlc. All my achievement progress was intact and I could start over back at the furthest chapter I had been to...chapter 8. So it's not just you.

Edited by Belvik

Sorry to hear that Belvik, I completely sympathise.

Admittedly, those saying that you should quit to the menu as a precaution are right- but of course, it's not something that you presume you'd need to do. I regularly just hold down the guide button and turn my console off mid-game and have never had this happen before. If I'd not been able to pick up the remnants of my game, I'd have already given up on this altogether. I'm glad that people with corrupted files are having some level of success with using/repairing them- but I made multiple checks and my file was simply gone. No amount of restarting the console or anything else I tried was making that sucker reappear.

One to be weary of, for sure. For the record, I hadn't experienced any serious issues prior to this and was a good few hours in.

My save went poof after the host of a co-op game timed out, I'm assuming their Internet connection died...the game slowed to a crawl, then froze...none of the buttons on my controller did anything, then it dumped me to the title screen after a few minutes. No option to continue, no option to load any of the three characters I had been playing with, nada.

Fortunately, I've become some godawful kind of paranoid after my earth defense force: insect Armageddon save corrupted itself, which cost me around 30 hours of playtime and my wife's as well, we only ever played the game on split screen co-op, same as the first EDF.

I've taken to *always* having a USB drive stuck into both of my 360's now...I backup my saves after each session when I'm playing a game that has issues with bugs & glitches.

I wouldn't even consider buying the garbage drives that say "Xbox 360" on them, they're as slow as the average flash drive from about three years ago and all you're paying for is the xbox name on it. I personally use Kingston DataTraveller drives, I have like 3 4gb ones which are grey and light up whitish grey when reading & writing, a few of the 8gb versions which are white and yellow but light up sort of a bright green, very similar to the 360 indicator lights, and I recently bought two of their 16gb models which are black with blue trim and they light up a sort of medium blue, exactly like the lights that came in my Antec 900 pc case. The USB sticks have a lifetime warranty, I've been using them for about five years and I've never had a problem. The only reason I ever use different ones (Corsair 64gb with a lock and 128-bit encryption in titanium shells) is for work, where it'd be a very bad thing for someone to get into my data if a drive was lost or stolen.

The Kingston 4gb models can be had on Newegg for under $10, the 8gb ones are $10 or $12, and I picked up the 16gb ones on a daily deal as a two pack for $27.99. They're all very quick and I've never had a glitch with any of mine in over five years, starting with the same model line in 1gb size.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your data, I can absolutely sympathise with you...I'd really recommend picking up one of the USB flash drives I mentioned, they're low priced and work really well, and you'll never lose an entire save if you start doing backups, the worst case scenario would be losing one session worth of play...I keep my sticks backed up on my laptop as well, like I said, I've become terribly paranoid about data corruption.

Best of luck to you, mate.

Yes, same thing happened to me.

Only difference is that I was playing co-op - game crashed - no saved file when I came back on.

Achivements still there, no file on my hard drive though.

Turned it on and off, ejected the disk, started new game, joined co-op again, nothing has worked.

What a ridiculous bug for the game to ship with. Dont know if I can be bothered starting again.

Take it no one has found a solution?

• 2 months later...

This just happened to me. im so fucking pissed. I got a invite from a friend, loaded a game. it was loading chapter 8 than went to the hand load screen and my game froze. came back and my lvl 26 was gone... what a waste of time..i can start back at chpt 8 at lvl 20 but lose all my items,money, and yea..all my damn items. so pissed. :mad::mad: :mad:

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Played last night on system link co-op, two players. Let the game auto-save, then turned my console straight off via the controller.

Turned it on tonight and went to main menu, no continue option available. Only the option to start a new game. I check my system memory and there is literally no save, it has just gone. Not even a corrupted save file or anything, just my hard drive install.

Starting a new game, I was given the option of starting from any of chapters 1-4 (the furthest I'd reached) and the game starts me off at a brand new level 11 with 500$ cash, all my items are gone, some quests done with rewards waiting/some done with no rewards/some not available at all. Yet I still have all my achievement progress intact.

I've read about people having their saves corrupted, but has anyone had a save vanish into thin air? I don't think I'll bother continuing with the game if this happens again, that's for sure.

Samething happend to me, but instead I was trying to join a friends game and as it was loading it froze, as usual I turned off my Xbox, this usually works, and turned it back on again and started the game up again. I went to play and my Logan character that was a level 49 was gone, only my ryder white game profile was there. At that point I went full berserk. Not only have I put so much time in that profile with all the weapons n such, but that ment I had to start all OVER AGAIN. So your not the only one.

Yes it happend once to me.

Was joining a Arena Lobby, game froze, reset Xbox and no "continue" option.

And my level 60 Logan save was gone, so i checked the xboxHDD and also there was the save gone.

Luckily i had a backup on my USB Stick.

But this happend only once in my 180h playtime of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi both myself and my wife lost our games I was level 47 she was level 50. Bad times

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...