Opinion on helping people get Ornstein's armor?

DanceRandyDance

When I place my sign down, I'm there to help you beat a tough boss fight. Send me a message like "kl fatty 1st pls" which I received earlier will prompt me to do the exact opposite. That kid is still raging at me, in which the only word he felt like correctly spelling was bitch. Don't get me wrong, I've done it once or twice because they were nice about how that asked me, and I could see that they had a reasonable grasp on combat. With the exception of one person, it always ends the same: host dies to Ornstein's electrical buttslam of death. I feel you should earn it, and not request someone else do the work for you, because if they're not being OHKO'd, they're hiding behind a pillar. Honestly, I feel this way about tail cuts as well. Helping people kill bosses is so much fun, but it stops bein fun when we're only successful once every five attempts because you want the tail or armor.

tl;dr

I don't like people that summon you for help with boss armor and tails. Do you?

//rant

Edited by DanceRandyDance

Maybe that person wanted Ornstein's soul instead of Smough's? I'd certainly be angry if I received Smough's soul after I specifically asked someone to kill Smough first. After all, the summonees' main purpose is to assist the host in any way; whether it's providing a distraction, killing an invader, defeating a boss, or killing bosses in a certain order.

TBH that's a total dick move, I'd be pissed too if you did that to me, if they needed the soul you just cost them a whole extra playthrough. If you didn't like the way the kid put down his message just move on. No need to be an elitist prick about it because you're better at the game than they are. Lame dude.

Well, here is how I do it. Since I'm laying down my summon sign to actually HELP the player summoning me into their world, I try to refrain from imposing my own fucked up, idiotic, absurd conditions or parameters under which I'll HELP them achieve their goal. It appears this is not the case with you. So, let me give it you straight. This is a video game, not the fucking military. Your whole "Earn it" principle is utterly fucking ridiculous, and you need to curb your urge to act like a colossal tool, and actually HELP the person, who is summoning you into their world. Because, more often than not, they actually need HELP. Are you noticing a recurring theme here?

Why do you give a fuck? So you do a lot of the heavy lifting. Maybe that person really needed HELP and since that's what you agreed to do by laying down your sign in the first place, there shouldn't even be an issue. I mean, you're basically getting 25000 free souls for a boss fight that isn't nearly the "badge of honor" that you make it out to be. If you possess the slightest amount of skill then it shouldn't be a problem for an experienced player, regardless, of which boss goes down first.

Oh, and one last thing. That's a heavy traffic area for invaders, so people don't exactly have a lot of time to fritter away sending you a long-wided courteous request that won't offend your delicate sensibilities. Usually "Smough first" or "Ornstein first" is good enough for most of us out there who genuinely want to co-op or HELP give lesser experienced players a hand. My suggestion: Perhaps stop using "Principle" as a an excuse to be a dick, and just have fun getting summoned, playing co-op, and getting FREE souls. Or maybe do the rest of the community a favor and stop laying down your summon sign and just mover over to ganking which you sound more suited for.

I always try to do what the host wants when I do co-op. (Unless he wants to gank. In which case I purposely fuck him over. Filthy cheats. :D) I haven't actually received many angry messages from people playing this game in co-op. PvP is a whole different issue though.

With Smough and Ornstein though, my general policy is to hang back at first. Whoever he goes after first is the one he wants dead. So I proceed to face roll that one. When it comes to tail cut weapons, you never have to ask me to help with that. I slice it off 100% if possible. The only one that's tricky is Priscilla. That girl's good at protecting her ass. :p Seath can be problematic if the host tries to get behind him too. But otherwise it's pretty simple with a strong weapon. All the others are cake to pull off. There's really no reason not to cut off the tail in these fights. It makes the boss weaker. So why not, right? I have ended up dancing around Priscilla with a host for about 10 minutes before while he throws knives at her with no success though. That's no fun. But better that than going in with something too powerful and costing them another playthrough.

Whoa, easy kids, I black crystal out. I said opinion for a reason. As for why I asked in the first place, it's because 9/10, the host does nothing, that includes not healing. As I said, I've helped them kill Ornstein before, it just rarely goes that well. I don't see anywhere where I said I "ruin" their playthrough, because I leave the host's world instead. You're right, I am a tad elitist about this game, which is why I posted an opinion thread about the situation to see it from a different view. With such kind responses you'd think this post was about religion or politics.

Edit: clearly I need to be clear as to avoid these friendly responses of this community. I don't enter the fog, I black crystal out. I viewed it as a cheap way to avoid hard work, however, as its already been pointed out, albeit in a dick manner, they're asking for help for a reason. My favorite thing to do is help in boss fights, and when it comes to Conductor Smough an Russian ice skating gold medalist Ornstein, I do get awfully elitist. However, while helping today and killing Ornstein last, it went well, and I decided to see how people viewed it, not to have people respond like assholes.

Edited by DanceRandyDance

Whoa, easy kids, I black crystal out. I said opinion for a reason. As for why I asked in the first place, it's because 9/10, the host does nothing, that includes not healing. As I said, I've helped them kill Ornstein before, it just rarely goes that well. I don't see anywhere where I said I "ruin" their playthrough, because I leave the host's world instead. You're right, I am a tad elitist about this game, which is why I posted an opinion thread about the situation to see it from a different view. With such kind responses you'd think this post was about religion or politics.

That's all we were giving you was our opinion. I have no problem with owning that I thought you were being a complete dick. I think you do need to relax on how they message you, simply because time is often not a luxery in that area. However, your second post has altered my opinion. If you Black Crystal out and leave the persons world rather then costing them a run then I say no harm no foul. Use whatever criteria you choose. I might even do the same thing. n this context, I can see your point and even agree with you. You can tell between someone trying and getting their ass handed to them, and someone whose being fucking lazy. So no, there is nothing wrong with choosing not to help people like that.

Edited by ghostx30

That's all we were giving you was our opinion. I have no problem with owning that I thought you were being a complete dick. I think you do need to relax on how they message you, simply because time is often not a luxery in that area. However, your second post has altered my opinion. If you Black Crystal out and leave the persons world rather then costing them a run then I say no harm no foul. Use whatever criteria you choose. I might even do the same thing. n this context, I can see your point and even agree with you. You can tell between someone trying and getting their ass handed to them, and someone whose being fucking lazy. So no, there is nothing wrong with choosing not to help people like that.

Agreed. If people are expecting you to do 100% of the work for them then that's not cool. It's disrespectful to summon someone into your world and expect them to clear the entire area for you. (That's actually happened to me before.) I still try to be polite about it unless they are a brazen douche in the responses after I ask them why they're not doing much. I used to not mind as long as they explained it away in a decent manner. Like they didn't have the right equipment or items for that particular zone. Or they didn't know how to fight a certain enemy type and wanted to watch and learn. Granted those could have been lazy people that were lying. But I like to give people the benefit of the doubt at first.

Most people in this community are likeable gamers that show basic courtesy. I have gotten a message saying I shouldn't complain since I'm getting souls and they're getting progress. And that I was being "butt hurt" about it. Those kind of people piss me off to no end. Almost as much as people that complain when they summon you and you refuse to help them gank other players. It's gotten worse over time. So I understand that there are plenty of annoying pricks that play this game these days. Just try not to sink to their level.

Agreed. If people are expecting you to do 100% of the work for them then that's not cool. It's disrespectful to summon someone into your world and expect them to clear the entire area for you.

I don't mind doing that. I hate when I help a guy clear a whole area and we get to the boss door and he unsummon's me and then walks through the boss door. Usually move myself to the next area and try to invade those people lol :p

Agreed. If people are expecting you to do 100% of the work for them then that's not cool. It's disrespectful to summon someone into your world and expect them to clear the entire area for you. (That's actually happened to me before.) I still try to be polite about it unless they are a brazen douche in the responses after I ask them why they're not doing much. I used to not mind as long as they explained it away in a decent manner. Like they didn't have the right equipment or items for that particular zone. Or they didn't know how to fight a certain enemy type and wanted to watch and learn. Granted those could have been lazy people that were lying. But I like to give people the benefit of the doubt at first.

Most people in this community are likeable gamers that show basic courtesy. I have gotten a message saying I shouldn't complain since I'm getting souls and they're getting progress. And that I was being "butt hurt" about it. Those kind of people piss me off to no end. Almost as much as people that complain when they summon you and you refuse to help them gank other players. It's gotten worse over time. So I understand that there are plenty of annoying pricks that play this game these days. Just try not to sink to their level.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my approach, Alucard. Usually, I won't even message them unless they are screwing around, or doing something obvious or irritating enough to catch my attention. I just genuinely enjoy playing the game, so you have to be a real fuckhead to get me to Black Crystal or send a message. But like you, I usually go right for the tails, and automatically assume Smough first unless the summoner states otherwise. And like you, I hate trying to get Priscilla's tail, but I'll always make the effort. Same with Seath.

Gackt - Thankfully, that has never happened to me. Oh man, would that ever piss me off.

On my xbox run through I had trouble finding people who would help me kill S first. They would just ignore my request and go right after O. It had nothing to do with me hiding in a corner- I could kill them both myself its just that O is a little too aggressive to be able to get many shots on S first. Its a simple request, and one that you should probably honor if the host is trying as well, even if its just keeping O off of your ass. Im guessing in the original post you killed them both and cost that person another playthrough. I would be pissed as well.

On my xbox run through I had trouble finding people who would help me kill S first. They would just ignore my request and go right after O. It had nothing to do with me hiding in a corner- I could kill them both myself its just that O is a little too aggressive to be able to get many shots on S first. Its a simple request, and one that you should probably honor if the host is trying as well, even if its just keeping O off of your ass. Im guessing in the original post you killed them both and cost that person another playthrough. I would be pissed as well.

Yeah. I think people tend to use this boss fight to take the easy way out for souls, by immediately going right for Ornstein, because they either lack a big enough pair to go after him in larger form or are just lazy and want to get the fight over and get their souls as quick as they can. I mean, it's no secret that Smough is the easiest of the two. In either case, they don't belong laying down a summon sign...especially when they can't follow simple fucking instructions. If someone messages me with a particular request, then I'm not even going near one until the other is disposed of.

Having said that, the original poster clarified that he isn't doing either, nor is he costing them their run. He simply uses his Black Crystal if the summoner is not putting in an effort and leaving him to do their work for them...which I think is totally reasonable.

I don't know why people are so afraid of 2nd stage Ornstein. If you stand directly in his face it's kind of hard for him to hit you. I usually kill Smough first for people who summon me unless they specify ahead of time that they specifically want it the other way around.

Well, here is how I do it. Since I'm laying down my summon sign to actually HELP the player summoning me into their world, I try to refrain from imposing my own fucked up, idiotic, absurd conditions or parameters under which I'll HELP them achieve their goal. It appears this is not the case with you. So, let me give it you straight. This is a video game, not the fucking military. Your whole "Earn it" principle is utterly fucking ridiculous, and you need to curb your urge to act like a colossal tool, and actually HELP the person, who is summoning you into their world. Because, more often than not, they actually need HELP. Are you noticing a recurring theme here?

Why do you give a fuck? So you do a lot of the heavy lifting. Maybe that person really needed HELP and since that's what you agreed to do by laying down your sign in the first place, there shouldn't even be an issue. I mean, you're basically getting 25000 free souls for a boss fight that isn't nearly the "badge of honor" that you make it out to be. If you possess the slightest amount of skill then it shouldn't be a problem for an experienced player, regardless, of which boss goes down first.

Oh, and one last thing. That's a heavy traffic area for invaders, so people don't exactly have a lot of time to fritter away sending you a long-wided courteous request that won't offend your delicate sensibilities. Usually "Smough first" or "Ornstein first" is good enough for most of us out there who genuinely want to co-op or HELP give lesser experienced players a hand. My suggestion: Perhaps stop using "Principle" as a an excuse to be a dick, and just have fun getting summoned, playing co-op, and getting FREE souls. Or maybe do the rest of the community a favor and stop laying down your summon sign and just move over to ganking which you sound more suited for.

Hilarious. I invaded this DanceRetardDance in the forest and low and behold he's ganking with his "friend" who was actually alot better than him. His friend was dual wielding katanas and doing it pretty well. He caught me off guard at times and I felt like I was in a blender. (I'm talking about his friend not OP). All tryhard DanceRetardDance did was hide behind his full havel armor w/ shield and chug estus couple of times like a real scrub. He would try to sneak in for a BS while I was dueling his friend. When another person invaded and his friend died, he runs back to the stairs to look for summon signs. WoTG him right off the cliff.

Go back to Anor Londo and not helping people kill Smough first. SCRUB

I don't know why people are so afraid of 2nd stage Ornstein. If you stand directly in his face it's kind of hard for him to hit you. I usually kill Smough first for people who summon me unless they specify ahead of time that they specifically want it the other way around.

I don't get it either, I pretty much had to do everything on my own because I couldn't figure out how summoning even worked back at launch. Once you get a feel for them most fights are fairly straight forward.

Whenever I help people with S&O, I assume they want Ornstein's Soul and will kill off Smough first, unless they tell me otherwise. As for hosts not doing their share, as long as they drink milk when his summons need health, I am cool with them. I really hate it when the host and both summons are all in need of health and the host uses Humanity to heal, leaving myself and the other summon out in the cold and without much health to fight on. I just usually assume the host is new to the game, and genuinely need help in the given area.

Gonna disagree with this post. Most people summon others for help, especially for killing Orstein first. I would also be mad if I told you to kill him first and you did whatever you wanted.

At the same time, grammar like that pisses me off so thats a whole different story