Achievement Guide and Roadmap

DEG23

Thanks for this awesome guide, first! You explained it very well.

One thing though: When you create a save before shooting and miss your shot, simply reloading the save won't give you another chance. In fact, Firaxis told in an interview that once your % chance has been calculated, or diced, it will stay that way. No matter how often you reaload.

Thanks i should have made that clearer and actually specified to save at the beginning of the previous round. I've reworded the description and also included a note regarding this in the description for the difficulty achievements.

Another point came to my attention:

Chryssalid Interrogation...

I can't stun Chryssalids (No Target available) - so.. there should be no way of interrogating them?

I do apologise for this, i have been getting myself confused with interrogation and autopsies. I've updated the description for Edison.

EDIT: I have also updated the description for 'No Looking Back' with a series of tips and strategies to keep in mind when attempting Ironman mode.

The guide is 95% complete, there are a few achievements, like 'Hunter/Killer' i still need to test for a list of UFOs and the best weapon to take each one out, but overall each description and method should be correct.

Thank you again to everyone for their help with confirming the lists of projects and autopsies for achievements like Edison and Skunkworks.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May want to note that getting satellites over all the counties on a continent you didn't start on will also give you that bonus. For example, I started in North America and got "Air and Space". I put the 2 satellites needed over South America I get the "We Have Ways" bonus as well.

Also, what I am doing is not building the Alien Containment and building my satellite coverage to full coverage. The extra "bonuses" you get for having a satellite over each country (i.e. "Expert Knowledge") as well as the money you get every month really helps build up your power before getting too far along.

I would think this would help in the harder difficulty level playthroughs since you will have people with better weapons, armor, and accuracy before getting into the meat of the game.

Poison Control

Does not have to be 5 soldiers, can be done with 1 soldier 5 times. Just did a Bomb Disposal mission with all Thinmen. Had 1 soldier run in to the poison and out, cured then back in to get poisoned again. Done this way, each cloud is good for 2 poisonings.

Xavier

Tip: Buff your Will with the Combat Drugs smoke grenade and Psi Inspiration ability. De-buff the Ethereal with Mindfray (it stacks).

Try to get a Support soldier with PSI abilities. Take Mindfray, Psi Inspiration, Mind Control, Smoke Grenade and Combat Drugs. Wear Psi Armor and equipping a Mind Shield would not hurt.

Edited by J4ckyb0y1

Quick Question:

The Achievements don'T stack ofr the difficulty?

Yes, playing on Impossible will unlock the achievement for Classic difficulty. I only recently discovered this but have updated the guide.

I went out and picked this game up yesterday, and holy crap, this shit is HARD!!!! I can't figure out how to heal my guys...can't figure out how to capture...can't figure out how to make more money...doh...and I'm playing on EASY!! lol

Don't worry, it's taken me 3 restarts to find a strategy that works. I think only a few people have nailed this game first go:)

Edited by DEG23

I'm almost done with the game (I'm preparing to go through the Psionic Portal). And I just realized that I'm missing ONE thing from the research list -- a Floater interrogation. Not the Heavy Floater, just the regular one.

If I keep scanning and doing a few random missions, is there any chance I'll see another Floater this late in the game? Probably not...

I'm almost done with the game (I'm preparing to go through the Psionic Portal). And I just realized that I'm missing ONE thing from the research list -- a Floater interrogation. Not the Heavy Floater, just the regular one.

If I keep scanning and doing a few random missions, is there any chance I'll see another Floater this late in the game? Probably not...

Its unlikely but still possible to find one, you could just save, keep scanning until you find a UFO that has them, just ignore until that, your just going for the achievement anyways, so just reload after you finnally find one. You should be able to know exactly whats in each UFO by now.

Ok so on Xavier, I set it up so that I would load the save, end turn, Ethereal would attack, then it would be my turn to try to Mind Control with a 43% chance. I reloaded this 20 times without getting the achievement. Statistically, it's possible I just got unlucky but that's rather in doubt. So, why didn't this work? Clearly the percentage chance is rolled the turn before.

Ok so on Xavier, I set it up so that I would load the save, end turn, Ethereal would attack, then it would be my turn to try to Mind Control with a 43% chance. I reloaded this 20 times without getting the achievement. Statistically, it's possible I just got unlucky but that's rather in doubt. So, why didn't this work? Clearly the percentage chance is rolled the turn before.

I think it is, but also soon as i used combat stims smoke grenade i got it :). (43 tho?~!! i only ever had 20%)

Use Inspire. Next turn Mindfray. Next turn Mind Control. If you can get another Psi soldier to Mindfray too, it stacks. Obviously you want a Col. ranked soldier with as high a Will as possible.

Did this with 2 Psi Supports. One did Inspire and the other tossed Combat Drugs to where they would have LoS to the Ethereal. Next turn they both move to LoS in the cloud and Mindfray. Next turn you have 2 chances to Mind Control and it was like 70-80 range.

Ok, did some testing on the Xavier achievement. A LOT of the information listed in the guide is INCORRECT.

1. Damage does not matter. My percentage was exactly the same going from full health to 1 square left. Taking your time to weaken the enemy is a waste of time.

2. Wait until you have psi armor. It becomes a joke after this. Just build it, and instead of finishing the game search for UFO's until you get one. It will have an Ethereal on it.

I used psi armor, combat stims, and a single mind fray debuff and I had a 74% chance of successful mind control. That's right, 74%. My soldier without the psi armor had an 18% chance of success. It should be noted the soldier I used had a base will of 84, while the other had a base of 72.

Edited by Snowed

Thats because you don't understand how the RNG works in this game. It is saved so when you reload you get the same result. Try doing something else (like have another soldier draw fire or shoot) then do the thing you are trying to get by reloading and see the difference.

As far as buffs stacking. They absolutely do. Inspired raised Will. Next turn Combat Drugs raised Will further. I did it in my last game and posted about it to help others having trouble with it.

Thats because you don't understand how the RNG works in this game. It is saved so when you reload you get the same result. Try doing something else (like have another soldier draw fire or shoot) then do the thing you are trying to get by reloading and see the difference.

As far as buffs stacking. They absolutely do. Inspired raised Will. Next turn Combat Drugs raised Will further. I did it in my last game and posted about it to help others having trouble with it.

Also, obviously I don't understand how the RNG works. However, I do understand what has been said on this forum. It is said that rolls are done at the beginning of a turn and that you need to reload a save before the enemy's last turn. This is what I was doing. It seems this does not work, though I didn't do it enough to guarantee this.

Edited by Snowed

Combat Stims do not raise Will, They raise mobility and resistance to damage. Unless you used the COMBAT DRUG smoke grenade, the normal smoke grenade will not raise Will. Please stop arguing. Go to the 2Kgames forum and educate yourself on RNG and other things. There are guys there that have peeked under the hood and have explained in detail how some of the game mechanics work.

Combat Stims do not raise Will, They raise mobility and resistance to damage. Unless you used the COMBAT DRUG smoke grenade, the normal smoke grenade will not raise Will. Please stop arguing. Go to the 2Kgames forum and educate yourself on RNG and other things. There are guys there that have peeked under the hood and have explained in detail how some of the game mechanics work.

Fair enough. I edited my posts to remove the misinformation regarding positive stacking.

Anyway I wasn't questioning the RNG. I was asking what was wrong with my interpretation of it. I admitted in the first post about it that I was probably just misunderstanding it. Care to elaborate on how it actually works? I had my soldiers shoot, move, etc and it didn't seem to matter. Again, though, did it while it was an 18% chance so that might have been the issue.

As for the rest of my points, they still stand. I had a 75% chance to mind control the ethereal while most people seem to have 18% or so. This is a massive difference and really helps.

Edited by Snowed

There are a number of achievements that specifically mention "in a single game". But there are a couple that don't, and I'm not 100% sure about it:

• Bada Boom
    Kill 50 aliens with explosive weapons
  • Pale Horse
    Kill 500 aliens
  • Shooting Stars
    Shoot down 40 UFOs

Are those all "in a single playthrough"? If so, then "Bada Boom" sucks, because that is a crap-ton of resources to blow up. And "Shooting Stars" would be tough -- by the end of my first game, I estimate that I only had 20-25.

There are a number of achievements that specifically mention "in a single game". But there are a couple that don't, and I'm not 100% sure about it:

• Bada Boom
    Kill 50 aliens with explosive weapons
  • Pale Horse
    Kill 500 aliens
  • Shooting Stars
    Shoot down 40 UFOs

Are those all "in a single playthrough"? If so, then "Bada Boom" sucks, because that is a crap-ton of resources to blow up. And "Shooting Stars" would be tough -- by the end of my first game, I estimate that I only had 20-25.

multiple playthroughs on all of the above

Ok, did some testing on the Xavier achievement. A LOT of the information listed in the guide is INCORRECT.

Thanks for this, i changed the note about the damage not making a difference.

Without this sounding like i'm doubting you, how many times did you receive the 74% chance? Through testing this with friends and other users on this site, the highest i ever saw was a 50% chance, and that was using the same setup you mentioned.