How hard is ultra violence?

Mr Snipey

Ultra-Violence is the hardest normal gameplay mode. You get many more monsters, and sometimes less items. Thats pretty much all it is. Most Doomers play on nothing but UV, unless they have something to prove by tackling Nightmare

Guest Deleted2014-12-02

Ultra-Violence is where there are the greatest number of demons possible and ammo. The enemies don't respawn or run around on speed like Nightmare! does. You have to take special note of your ammo and such because UV on DOOM II will take you for a longer ride than DOOM does, but after a while it shouldn't mean much.

I've played DOOM II on ZDoom countless times so I know about 90% of this game tricks and traps, and I can always call up my DOOM level editors to find all of the items I can.

As far as notoriety goes... not really, no.

Guest Deleted2014-12-02
Playing on UV is pretty intense, though it involves a fair amount of save scumming for me. The number of times I've had to complete battles with incredibly low health are countless. So saving a lot, using cover, and the super shotty are your friends :p

As is having good aim. I can't count how many bullets I waste shooting to the left or right of a target 10 feet away from me. >_<

Basically, whenever you think are done with the level, just go scavenging for any spare medkits and stimpacks that may be on the ground. You will most likely skip over a few whenever you have more than 100% health.

Doom II throws new enemies at you like Revenants, Mancubus and Arch Vile...all of whom are very nasty on UV mode, especially when they're grouped.

Still, as long as you take each horde carefully, make use of cover, dodge when necessary then it shouldn't be a problem.

Save regularly, and exploit the fact that the AI monsters in Doom are retarded

• 2 months later...

Guess I spoke too soon...

I was totally kicking ass on this game, but now I'm on level 10 and I'm so depleted of ammo. I have been killing everything I can with the chainsaw. I'm on UV difficulty... Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of the game? barely having enough ammo?

• 4 weeks later...

Conserving ammo is certainly key. For example, if your bullets are maxed and you find a few boxes laying around, put away the shotgun and use the chaingun. Then, you can come back and pick up the boxes. Same for shells.

Also, never pick up a full box of something if it will max you out. For example, a box of shells gives you 20 in UV. If you already have 90 shells, don't bother grabbing it. Wait until later.

Good luck! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Depending on which doom game. no rest for the living is hard and final doom is Hard as hell. well plutonia experiment is TNT is manageable.

but yeah conserving ammo is the key. too many times you may think you have shit loads of ammo, waste it on a level and it will have consequences for a few levels too come. especially on ultra violent and you have a map like the pit or tricks and traps coming up.

The only map i really had difficulty on uv in Doom 2 was in no rest for the living map 5. That map is down right brutal on uv.

I am currently going through the game again and see how high i can get my ranking/score. So far i have got it in the top 2000. with several map in the top 500.

Edited by yngwieclone

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Doom series as a whole is one of those "hard easy" games. Hard due to cheap deaths and overpowered enemies on Ultra Violence. Easy due to the save anywhere system as opposed to a checkpoint based system. Patience will be your biggest adversary, but in the end, this is one of those classics that must be beaten on UV to call yourself an old school gamer.

I have to say I loved every damn frustrating second of both games...and ya gotta love having 200/200 on both games. Whenever I got really stuck I would simply turn it off and come back to it later. The new campaign was crazy cool and fun....And no cut scenes

I find this game to be easy. It was like muscle memory to me when I downloaded this after not playing Doom II for over a decade when it was released. As soon I started paying I knew what to do. This game can be difficult to new comers of the series, espicialy the scarce amount of ammo/weapons on each map factored with increased enemy presence on ultra-violence.