Hype and Opinions

LickableLemons7

I have never played a GTA game, ever. I've not even played it at a friend's. Sad, isn't it? But I have played other Rockstar games, such as Red Dead Redemption, and fully enjoyed it. Even though Rockstar has only released a logo and a trailer for the game, people seem overly excited for it. I don't understand. Will this game be worth it, in your eyes? I mean, we can't really judge it, as we hardly have any info on this subject yet. But what I want to know is, what are some of your opinions about the GTA series in general? Is GTA 4 worth playing before GTA 5 is released? I mean, I have a lot of time, don't I? :p

ya there is probably a whole year or so before they release this game, so you could easily have a relaxed playthru on GTAIV. that game was actually pretty unique in my opinion, you could make friends / girlfriends and use your cell phone to schedule outings (drinking at a bar, bowling, strip club).

im sure you already know the basic idea of the game, you pretty much free-roam a random city and do what you please. the game is in 3rd person, and there are a whole heap off NPCs scattered around. (NPC = non player char).they react to everything you do, from bumping into a group while running from the cops, to pointing a pistol at their head.

they set you up with a main character, and give a little backstory so you know why he has motivation to kill hundreds of innocent people lol. there are a fair ammount of missions and locations, giving you a lot of freedom with exploring the map. i guess it appeals to alot of gamers in different ways, but for me the main thing is you cannot act this way in real life lol.

^^

i love to drive my car on the sidewalk, it provides endless laughs when you see people scatter and fly over the hood of your car. now you just cannot do that stuff in real life, i doubt you would make it 2 blocks :p

Edited by niko da bos

Well since you haven't played ANY GTA's, I would recommend you play them all from 3, Vice City, San Andreas, all the way to IV. But I would understand if you wouldn't want to suffer through the bad graphics :p

But if you really want a taste of GTA and get as hyped as we are, I recommend buying GTA IV and just coast through the game all year, I guarantee you will have a good time. I put around 350 to 400 hours into GTA IV. I mean now you can buy it for cheap so it wouldn't cost that much for you.

So please try it out :)

Even though Rockstar has only released a logo and a trailer for the game, people seem overly excited for it. I don't understand. Will this game be worth it, in your eyes? I mean, we can't really judge it, as we hardly have any info on this subject yet.

It's like when a new Elder Scrolls game is announced; suddenly we all remember how much fun the previous games were and it's the idea that a bigger, better game is in developement that gets us excited. Hope that makes sense:).

But what I want to know is, what are some of your opinions about the GTA series in general? Is GTA 4 worth playing before GTA 5 is released? I mean, I have a lot of time, don't I? :p

Well, Vice City and San Andreas are two of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. The best part of the games is going on crime sprees throughout the city. I still have fond memories of entering a weapons cheat, climbing to the roof of a building and unleashing hell on any NPC's who were unlucky enough to pass by :uzi:(I was what 10, 11 years old at the time). Plus I always liked the fact that no matter how out of hand your rampages got, the only consequence was that you got fined at the nearest police station.

The storylines of both games were also very well written so that you would happily accept any development, even when you were stealing a jet pack from an Area 51 style military base. I can't comment on GTA IV as I have never got around to playing it but I'm sure everyone else will be able to give you their opinions.

I can't believe you haven't played a GTA game Lickablelemons, were you locked away as a child, lol:p

Not sure how you would find GTA5 if it was your first GTA game, i started playing the series with GTA2 and have enjoyed all of them since, saying that, i went back and tried playing GTA2 a few years ago and didn't get the same sense of joy as i did when i played it back in grade school.

So in my eyes GTA5 will be amazing (Rockstar usually don't let me down) but for someone who hasn't grown up playing the series, then it will probably be just another game you play through and enjoy but don't really come back to it often.

For me personally i found that once i finsihed the story and side missions in RDR there really wasn't a reason to keep playing, but in GTA i have spend up to 100+ hours after gaining 100%, just causing mayhem and doing stupid stuff, surprisingly, it never gets boring.

If you have the time, I would play all of the GTA games from GTA III to GTA IV. My favorite is San Andreas, GTA IV was a good game but it took out a lot of the fun stuff that made San Andreas and Vice City great. I'm looking forward to GTA V, but I'm not going to get too excited until we get some concrete details about the game.

I'm looking forward to GTA V, but I'm not going to get too excited until we get some concrete details about the game.

That's my way of thinking, while i understand why everyone is 'analysing' the trailer, there was so much specualtion about features in GTA4 that never happened.

I remember after the 2nd trailer for GTA4 everyone got all excited because they saw a car trunk being opened and guns pulled out, thinking you could do that in game but it turned out to be a cut scene, so just because you see a jet doesn't mean you can fly it, or the fact that there is a for sale sign in front of a house doesn't mean you can purchase real estate.

That's my way of thinking, while i understand why everyone is 'analysing' the trailer, there was so much specualtion about features in GTA4 that never happened.

I remember after the 2nd trailer for GTA4 everyone got all excited because they saw a car trunk being opened and guns pulled out, thinking you could do that in game but it turned out to be a cut scene, so just because you see a jet doesn't mean you can fly it, or the fact that there is a for sale sign in front of a house doesn't mean you can purchase real estate.

You could purchase in GTA4 though, no?

^^^ Not really, you did unlock each apartment as you progressed, but it wasn't like in VC where you could buy a variety of houses and businesses and start making money off them.

Just because there is that shot in the new trailer with a for sale sign doesn't mean you can purchase the house, it could just be part of a cut scene or a set piece. I still think it would be awesome if they reintroduced buying real estate.

Well, I really hope they will go back to San Andreas' roots, and it looks like it. Why would they have jets, bicycles (pedal), and crop planes if they're not gonna be useable? I'm sure they will be. If not, they will botch the game. I think Rockstar Games have learned to make the game more awesome, yet keep the game feeling like GTA, VC and SA style!

Rockstar is one of the best game makers in my opinion, their story lines are perfect ( GTA series and Red dead and LA Noire) wich i all enjoyed sooooo much i always love the characters and they always take the time to make a game ( not a every year cod game style game ) wich most of the time end up with a less tought storymode and less details. you can always see the effort rockstar puts into games, even in easter eggs.

Well, I really hope they will go back to San Andreas' roots, and it looks like it. Why would they have jets, bicycles (pedal), and crop planes if they're not gonna be useable? I'm sure they will be. If not, they will botch the game. I think Rockstar Games have learned to make the game more awesome, yet keep the game feeling like GTA, VC and SA style!

As much as i agree with you, i'm going to hold out until i see more, only because there were a few elements that were shown in the GTA4 trailers that didn't end up in the game or were only available in certain missions or cut scenes

What i'm hoping for is a deep, realistic, character driven story line, but with all the crazy; jet packs, planes, weapons available on the side when you fell like causing general mayhem

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Looks like I may be able to get GTA 4: The Complete Edition sometime next May or April, after playing Skyrim, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex, getting to 100% completion in RDR, etc... and playing San Andreas before getting GTA 4. Downloading it off of Games on Demand now! :) I'd say it's gonna be a damn good deal for 1200 MSP.

Edited by LickableLemons7

• 1 month later...