Sorry, but Capcom REALLY let themselves go with this game

B1GBR1T

It's been a while since I last played it, but from what I can remember it pales in comparison to the original 3, this one and the oh so annoying fourth one have gone less Horror Survival more shooter with an element of zombies in it.

Even with the new one "Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City" on wikipedia it's described as a first person shooter, no mention of horror survival.

It's games like this which makes me lose faith in zombies, who agrees?

PeaceAndLove

If you look at RE4 and RE5 as action shooters instead of horror survival, then you may find an amazingly unique intense fun game. Sure they strayed from the amazing old skool puzzle/adventure but every franchise tries new things... i actually find the zombies behaviors to be excellect and i love the melee system, and the graphics are nice too!

Now out of the 2 games, RE4 and RE5 i have to say that Resident Evil4 Four is by far the superior game. I do love co-op games, but i dont feel it was done right in RE5. I have played the hell out of mercs, versus i dont care for, but RE5 is very intense and fun. It just fails to achieve the hardcore cult sleeper hit status of RE4s originality, class and near perfectionism. (re4 has by far more bosses and more fun challenges, way better weapon balance with pro difficulty, plus it did add a little backtracking with keys and minor puzzle elements)

Still worth while games nonetheless and Im certainly picking up RE4 HD on day one just like I did for the original gamecube version. Code Veronica HD is an excellent addition for those old skool fans as well ;D

Edited by severed360

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a while since I last played it, but from what I can remember it pales in comparison to the original 3, this one and the oh so annoying fourth one have gone less Horror Survival more shooter with an element of zombies in it.

Even with the new one "Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City" on wikipedia it's described as a first person shooter, no mention of horror survival.

It's games like this which makes me lose faith in zombies, who agrees?

PeaceAndLove

You've just got to look at it as different. I thought the first games were brilliant, but I also really enjoyed Resi 5. Similarly, I'm looking forward to Operation Raccoon City.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the latest games, they are simply a different experience. If you approach this one as a new game rather than 'as the next Resident Evil game', I think it'll be extremely enjoyable for most. In my opinion it's still up there in probably the top 20 most enjoyable games on the 360.

Yeah, I was also disappointed with this game, although I only beat the first level so i'm not sure if i'm allowed an opinion on this ;D

Don't lose faith in all zombie games OP; Dead Island comes out the first of August.

An open-world, melee-based, four player co-op zombie game with rpg elements? Hell yes!

;4162796']If you approach this one as a new game rather than 'as the next Resident Evil game'' date=' I think it'll be extremely enjoyable for most.[/quote']

I'd agree with this to an extent. I played this game once for 20 minutes then didn't touch it for about 4 months as I just couldn't get into it. It didn't "feel" like a Resident Evil to me - and as such, I put it in another thread as one of my "Top 5 Most Overrated Games". I recently went back to it and ran through it all and it was a not bad experience. I wish that Capcom had changed the characters' names and the plot slightly, and released it as a non-Resident Evil title. I think I would have enjoyed it much more then. The fact that it carries the Resident Evil branding still leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I loved the old Resi games as well as 5. I probably preferred the old ones but the co-op in 5 is so much fun, it's really a great game it is just good in different ways, if you just look at it like it's an old Resi you probably won't like it but if you look at it like a new game then it is great.

IMO Resi 4 and 5 are the best in the series. The earlier ones were good.. But the controls and camera were shockingly bad at times. If anything its the older resi games that show lazyness, after the 1st one all they really did was change the locations. At least with resi 4 and 5 they totally changed the controls, how you played the game and how your inventory worked. Resi 5 wasnt quite as good as 4 was, but its still a very good game

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i understand what you are saying and i agree with some of it, but what capcom have tried to do is make it more modern like call of duty and halo but they really need to do a game like the first 3 they really do lol

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of fun with RE5, I loved the controls and play and storyline were great. I only got through half of RE4 because I hated the controls on the Wii. RE4 is way more scary than RE5, I think it's mainly due to the soundtrack and the colours used in the graphics.

I agree with 90% of whats been said so far, so I'm just gonna say I have a lot of sympathy for Resi 5.

It already had a bullet in the leg being the sequel to fucking Resident Evil 4! And had an even worse time of trying to reconcile the traditional Resi lore with the very non traditional gameplay of RE4. Pissing off both kinds of fans.

It's actually kind of surprising how well it turned out. I really think the games worst sin is having "5" in the title. Subtitle it, make it a spin off, anything! Just don't call it a sequel to RE4...ever! What we're left with now is 1 dodgy sequel and a whole franchise facing a reboot. Kind of tragic really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved RE1 & RE2, but RE3 felt stale. Personally I loved RE5 as well as RE4. Hm, guess I just love the RE series.

I think that a lot of people look at the first RE games with rose colored glasses. Yes, they were amazing when they came out, but they did not age well in terms of graphics and gameplay. I think most people remember that great feeling when they first played those games and it was a new genre. If you replayed them now you wouldn't feel scared at all.

I agree that RE5 was less survival horror and more action, but it still was a great game.

• 4 weeks later...