No Season 3

white3er

That's really disappointing. The wife has been asking me when this is coming back since we started playing...the last day it was on.

We were both looking forward to it, as there's nothing really like it. Guess it's back to Scene It & Trivial Pursuit :(

It sucks that there's no season 3. 1 vs. 100 was a game that everyone and anyone could play.

I will miss 1 vs 100. But while anyone could play it, unfortunately people weren't. Yeah, I know, it broke 100k participants at once. It won best game innovation. Everything should have been going for it. But near the end of the season, it collapsed. The last few shows, under 20k people were playing.

Trivia just isn't popular with the XBox crowd. That's a fact of life, and unfortunately, I think the sponser(s) saw this. I think the reason why it started off like it did was not because people enjoyed trivia, but because it was new and different. And also that there were prizes. But I think most people misinterpretted that prizes could be won with "OMG: Your free Halo Map Pack is yours if you play!"

Unfortunately for them, they quickly found out that the possibility of prizes does not equate to winning prizes. Let's even throw skill out of the question. Ars Technica had a good write up of the problems imho. The main thing is, the game just wasn't accessable. I mean, seriously, how many people here were in the mob, let alone the one? And the second season changed things making it so it was one and done, regardless of the outcome. Now, I also think getting in the mob didn't require too much dedication, which apparently many people disagree with me on, but in terms of the one, I can agree with them on that. Just so few chances to become the one, and even with a smaller audience, the odds just weren't in your favor.

I also admit that a few people I know, including myself, were part of the problem. The same people winning (according to the leaderboards), night in and night out created a lot of strife. The way the leaderboards were set up, all you saw were 10 names, and sadly, they seemed to be composed of the same few people for the most part.

I'm not saying there was cheating going on with those people, because to the best of my knowledge, there wasn't, but when you saw the usual suspects become the one, it does create strife for the typical gamer (who might not be trivia inclined to begin with). Sadly, I think the Win By Weekly score was busted, which created even more issues.

Hopefully MS's next iteration will take the lessons learned and create something with a similar feel and community. I guess my biggest fear though is that the game will change from trivia (which does require skill), to something along the lines of Deal or No Deal. But regardless, they'll need to allow most people an opportunity instead of a select few.