Worth it?

iFreshy

I played the demo, and enjoyed it for the most part. For those who have the full game, is it worth it?

Absolutely. The two recent title updates have fixed nearly every bug, but the graphics aren't the best. If you can get past the dated graphics, the game is great. Essentially, if you liked the demo, you'll like the game. The game has good replay value and you will definitely get your $20's worth.

Its one of the better games I've ever gotten from XBLA...

Right up there with:

The Walking Dead (Telltale)

Alan Wake: American Nightmare

Limbo

Deadlight

I Am Alive

Dead Rising 2: Case Zero / West

No the graphics aren't the best by any means... but the gameplay is fun and a little bit addictive! SoD is the closest we've come to having a pure Zombie Apocalypse simulator and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Planning on buying the Steam version when it comes out also.

I really like the game. It may be $20, but it's pretty big and ambitious for an XBLA game. The concept of finding other survivors, setting up a home base and scavenging for supplies is a novel concept. Stamina means you have to be mindful of running and fighting for prolonged periods of time. And killing zombies never gets stale (unless you don't like zombie games, then you're on your own there).

I agree that the graphics aren't that great, and there are cases of slowdown, texture pop-up and bugs. Also, I don't use guns that much because they not only make noise (which attracts zombies), but reloading takes so long that you could eat a sandwich in between reloads.

• 2 weeks later...

Game is fucking awesome and shows how zombie games are supposed to be. Well worth the money and on top of that there is hope it supports a sequel that improves on the issues of the game and maybe brings more depth to the survival aspect of the game. Because the looting became kinda repetitive and trivial after a while (if not to say the game is far too easy) ...the only real complaint I have, because I had zero glitches and only minor technical problems I could live with.

Edited by Schreckofant

I just actually felt like putting some interest in it the other day but then lost it at the sight of 1600 microsoft points. What a joke.

Get used to it, the days of the of low points is gone as games have branched to actual full games and not something you could find on a phone.

Personally i just dropped the cash for this the other day, yer i still find 1600 a sting, but ive now played this for 3-4 days straight every night till early hours.

Would say its nearing the 30hrs mark maybe, decide from that, many games on disc these days dont last 8hrs...so price is not so bad vs some. I don't have all achievements either, but seems some i missed due to just not knowing you could upgrade your skills lol

[spoiler=lol]I was not impressed with the ending however, just boom, done, leave it open to a sequel yer but bah, wtf.... behind the wall is more dead cars and fires...

Edited by Killerchronic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved the game! I could not put it down..thats for sure. I would like to see some multi in it but it was fun all the way through. for a arcade game pick i=us for sure and if you really like zombie games. I got everything done on it so if you may have any qusetions please feel free to contact me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone still asking the question, State of Decay is a fantastic game and one of the highlights of XBLA's line-up.

I've got it on the box and on PC, playing moreso on PC because of the higher resolution. A lot of people fixate on the graphics, not sure why everyone expects AAA-standard these days for a $20 game. It's pretty enough for me on both platforms.

I'm 8 or so hours in and waiting for a mission to trigger where I can finally start a new home-base, but I'm mainly happily running around keeping my group of people happy and slowly scavenging to keep all my supply lines topped-up.

Not really looking forward to Breakdown, for me I think this will be an 'experience once and uninstall' game, that's not a bad thing but the idea of revisiting Turnbull County just to compete on a scoreboard cheapens what is, for me, an immersive experience where I live the life of a survivor.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...