Your team building criteria

n33njah

I was interesting to know what you guys use to determine the layout of your team. I personally go with a good synergy between characters but I generally use the method of 1) heavy 2) rush 3) zone rush hybrid. My most used team is hulk wolvie and akuma because hulk and wolvie are great compliments to each other. Hulks s.H into air chain TAC into wolvie air combo finish with the air fatal claw. Let hulk gain red back hit confirm wolvie into berserker barrage x dhc into hulks gamma crush. Meanwhile I'm saving akuma for his assorted beam ultras and zoning until 3rd x factor and then I immediately rush down. So I was wanting to hear how why what of your theory team builds

First, I gravitate toward characters I like. I'm a big fan of Marvel comics, so I tend to prefer characters from the Marvel side. Spider-Man is my favorite character, but my execution is not good enough in the game for me to main him. I was very interested in playing Super-Skrull when vanilla first came out, but I couldn't because I was mashing too much and his tenderizer kept coming out when I didn't want it to. Now that I don't mash, I've put him into one of my teams. I've always really liked Dormammu and Wesker as well.

You'll want to pick characters that fit your playstyle as well. Team order is super important. After deciding on your point character (in my case Wesker, Dormammu, or Spider-Man when I'm feeling frisky), choose a character with a good assist that will help fill gaps in your point character's offense/defense or allow you to extend your combos. For your anchor, you'll want a character that can get the job done all by themselves.

But generally when team building, you should ask yourself questions like "How am I going to win? Is this team rushdown, keep away, zoning? How are you going to get in on an opponent? Are there any weaknesses in this team? If so, is there a different character/assist that would fit better?"

Right before the match begins and you see the opponent's team, ask yourself what you think their likely strategy is going to be? Which character on their team is going to be doing most of the work? Which assists will they be using?

For me, teambuilding is by far the most difficult aspect of this game. My execution isn't stellar so I tend to choose characters who don't rely on extended fancy combos to do a lot of damage. I have practiced the hell out of certain combos and can do them flawlessly in the training room, but haven't hit them once on Live.

Nobody likes teams with a character who is only good for assists.

Nobody likes to play as those teams, or nobody likes to play against those teams? Viscant won Evo 2011 using Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix. Haggar was on his team only for his assist and it helped prevent other players from getting close enough to Wesker to snap in Phoenix. It was the perfect assist for his team and what he wanted to do with it.

I've also always used teams made up of two guys that have synergy and one assist character who benefits the other two, that's just my style (actually, my style is more "find a good player who has this style, then steal their team/combos/mixups", haha :p)- some people do find success with it, though I do agree you make the team a little top-heavy in doing so. Playing the generally unwise move of Haggar on anchor instead of second, I accepted that I had normally lost the match if I was ever left with just him, but lariat had also given me many OCVs when I played the team without errors so it seemed easier for me to analyse where I went wrong whenever it did occur.

My new team is doing the same thing with Iron Man on anchor, I'm only using him for his assist/THC...shouldn't be as hard winning with only him remaining as it was with Haggar, but then the assist isn't quite as delicious as old lariat was so it balances out.

Interesting ideas and I'm not actually asking for team builds I'm just more wanting to discuss all the different ideaolgies on what players go through when deciding. Marvel vs capcom has such a deep strategy in comparison to 1v1 fights because in those games you generally pick a char you know well and play your style.

I rarely use assists other than to hit a few mix ups or to extend a combo. Hulks assist on my team is anti air gamma, wolvie is the barrage (because slash is too vulnerable IMO) and tatsumaki with akuma as my playstyle is more defined as reactionary. I wait until I have frame advantage or I force the issue with a couple of links that give me frame advantage and then capitalize. I've trained myself again drone spam sentinels to not throw assists non atop because it's very easy in ultimate to monster mash an assist now. So I generally base my teams off characters I know bnb combos that I can use to generally get advantage. Like I said I just wanted to see whatever roses thought process was.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent synergy is as far as I've gotten, since I got Ultimate upon release w/o any experience beforehand. I also definitely like playing w/ Marvel characters I like.

I tried out Dante early and liked him almost immediately, his big sword means you don't have to be right next to people to hit them, and guns means he can fight from farther away too. Iron Man's unibeam covers any teammate who needs to get close to your opponent, he's a decent fighter on his own, and I LOVE Iron Avenger (although AI somehow manages to block it 40% of the time when I don't hit them right before). Seeing as how that's one all-around and one more-shooter-based character, I need a good brawler. Not sure who to use - I've tried Wolverine, Hulk, X-23 and a few others.

Decent synergy is as far as I've gotten, since I got Ultimate upon release w/o any experience beforehand. I also definitely like playing w/ Marvel characters I like.

I tried out Dante early and liked him almost immediately, his big sword means you don't have to be right next to people to hit them, and guns means he can fight from farther away too. Iron Man's unibeam covers any teammate who needs to get close to your opponent, he's a decent fighter on his own, and I LOVE Iron Avenger (although AI somehow manages to block it 40% of the time when I don't hit them right before). Seeing as how that's one all-around and one more-shooter-based character, I need a good brawler. Not sure who to use - I've tried Wolverine, Hulk, X-23 and a few others.

use wesker

I generally only pick characters I know a good OTG for no matter what I always use Deadpool but the other two switch between Captain America, Dante, Frank, Nova, and Arthur. I can usually beat my friend with just Deadpool but the others I use to counter his characters, like if he uses Nemesis I use Frank because for some reason it seems Frank is just good against Nemesis

use wesker

Played around with Wesker in training and found him quite boring besides his hypers and the ability to move around really fast.

I'm trying to use Captain America instead of Iron Man because a) I mainly had him for Unibeam assist and Iron Avenger (when it connects...) and b) Repulsor Blast is the only decent move I feel I have when Dante goes down. Still not sure about the third character - almost everyone else seems boring compared to Dante because he seems to have twice the number of moves.

I mainly had him for Unibeam assist and Iron Avenger (when it connects...)

Iron Avenger is really unsafe if used outside of a combo, you should only throw it out raw as a punish on slow recovering moves (if the opposing character doesn't have an invincible hyper that will beat it) or as a heavy move comes out to take advantage of the invincibility frames. You can combo into it off any hard knockdown if you OTG with smart bombs, but throwing it out when the opponent isn't doing anything means they can just hold backwards during the cinematic and block it.

As an update to the thread, I got rid of anchor Iron Man because he sucks in one-on-one in Ultimate thanks to the slower air dash taking away any form of mix-up, I now run Felicia/Magneto/Sentinel.

Iron Avenger is really unsafe if used outside of a combo, you should only throw it out raw as a punish on slow recovering moves (if the opposing character doesn't have an invincible hyper that will beat it) or as a heavy move comes out to take advantage of the invincibility frames. You can combo into it off any hard knockdown if you OTG with smart bombs, but throwing it out when the opponent isn't doing anything means they can just hold backwards during the cinematic and block it.

As an update to the thread, I got rid of anchor Iron Man because he sucks in one-on-one in Ultimate thanks to the slower air dash taking away any form of mix-up, I now run Felicia/Magneto/Sentinel.

I learned this a couple times after the AI would block it lol (prompting a loud "What the hell?"). It's just my favorite hyper behind Deadpool's 4th wall in terms of how cool it looks, and I don't have to do a Dragon Punch motion to do it. As I said, not using him anymore. I'm not really liking Captain America either.

Third iteration:

Dante as point

Crimson Viper

Chris/Hulk/Magneto/Spider-Man/Wolverine (whoever I feel like trying out)

I really wish I could master Ghost Rider or MODOK. The cpu kicks my ass with Ghost Rider, partly because that damn chain can hit you from across the arena. I have issues with MODOK because he floats up in the air so much and Dante's special is the only good way I know to counter it. Every time I face either in Arcade, it's near the end.

I experimented with a couple of new teams I used to love wolvie off the start in my main team of hulk wolvie and akuma but it's alot harder to close with him so I pulled him and tried hulk taskmaster and akuma. Task is really fun other than remembering the button combos for low mid high ultras. I enjoyed Playing him as I never touched him cause my buddy that I practice with plays a very stout task. Also have to say that I enjoyed practicing in a couple of lobbies with Spencer magneto and sentinel.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been watching my friend play this for a few months, and I've watched streams and YouTube videos on the odd occasion. So when I finally picked this up on Sunday, I just went with some characters I liked the look of from what I'd already seen being played.

At first I ran with Super Skrull/Storm/Amaterasu. I've found I still tend to mash a lot with Skrull so I just do Tenderizer all the time and leave myself completely open, and I find him quite a boring character to use at times, so I've been trying out some other characters and found I quite like Akuma. I just really enjoy fighting as him and I seem to find it easier to pull off moves with him, so I think I'll probably stick with him for now.

Storm I'm quite good with in training and Arcade mode, but I can't do anything with her against my friend (the one I mentioned before), so she's pretty much a free character for him. I really enjoy playing as her though, dunno what it is, so I'm not bothered about looking for another character to fill this spot, just gonna need to get better with her.

Amaterasu I really like though, she has a great assist, her combos are a lot of fun when you can nail them, and the various weapons give her some nice variety. My only issue is that my friend really hates my Ammy and tries to make a point of getting rid of her first, so I have a bit of trouble when he just rushes at me and throws everything he can to take her out.

Anyways, to conclude, I don't really have a strategy for assembling teams, just trying different combinations and seeing who I like and who seems to work together. When I'm more experienced with the game I'll put more thought into it, but for now I'm just gonna stick with what I got.

• 10 months later...
Nobody likes to play as those teams, or nobody likes to play against those teams? Viscant won Evo 2011 using Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix. Haggar was on his team only for his assist and it helped prevent other players from getting close enough to Wesker to snap in Phoenix. It was the perfect assist for his team and what he wanted to do with it.

He was competent enough with Haggar in order to get by. You can't be a pro player and win a major tournament and "just" have a character on your team for the assist. Additionally, Haggar's invincible starting frame assist and Phoenix were OP in vanilla, much like Rocket Raccoon's log trap assist now.