New to Skyrim

bengals84

Sorry if there is a thread on this I looked and could not find any.

Having never played before I was wondering what people think the best class/race is to be or are none better than the others, just personal preference.

I just do not want to put hours into a class to find out it sucks later on. Again this whole game is new to me. And should I get the DLC right away or put some time into my class before getting those, I mean is there anything in the DLC to help me early on, I do not just want to power through the game just to get the chevos I want to take my time and enjoy it hopefully. Thanks in advance.

Sorry if there is a thread on this I looked and could not find any.

Having never played before I was wondering what people think the best class/race is to be or are none better than the others, just personal preference.

I just do not want to put hours into a class to find out it sucks later on. Again this whole game is new to me. And should I get the DLC right away or put some time into my class before getting those, I mean is there anything in the DLC to help me early on, I do not just want to power through the game just to get the chevos I want to take my time and enjoy it hopefully. Thanks in advance.

well, first you need to know that whatever class you choose, is fine as you can change whenever you want, just by using the abilities of the class you wish to change to, to level them up.

i would suggest though, that you start as a warrior. its my default class and by far the easiest to use as a new comer, especially if you choose the heavy armour route.

if you choose a warrior, you then need to decide on; 1 weapon/dual wielding(1 handed), sword and shield, two handed weapon(battleaxe/hammer/greatsword) or bow and arrow and try to stick with it to level it up and then you will always have a weapon class that you can rely on if you get stuck.

if you decide to play as a thief class, which is probably the most fun, you need to make very good use of the bow and arrows as you will be spending your time with light armour on, so up close melee fighting will be harder with less armour. Focus on leveling sneak, light armour, 1 handed and archery to survive.

i can't speak for a mage as i never have played purely mage class. sometimes ill try a hybrid mage/warrior as a dark elf, but i usually just end up as a warrior after playing for a bit.

This makes me think that it would be good if someone where to write a guide to the classes, but its probably a bit too late for that.

Edited by Scotty

i can't speak for a mage as i never have played purely mage class. sometimes ill try a hybrid mage/warrior as a dark elf, but i usually just end up as a warrior after playing for a bit.

Mages in Skyrim are a decent way to be a ranged/support character, but they become shamefully underpowered later on when enemies get higher stats; Everything in Skyrim wants to slash your face off anyway so a mage will not last long in close-range combat.

A warrior would definitely be easiest to play as for beginners.

You can always become a BattleMage (heavy armor Mage) and use 1 hand sword.

Mage powers for the long range kills, and sword close encounters.

PS. I tried 2H warrior and found it near impossible to kill a flying dragon :eek:

Check out default skills:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Races_%28Skyrim%29

Pick the one you want to be.

Edited by ecto69

if you decide to play as a thief class, which is probably the most fun, you need to make very good use of the bow and arrows as you will be spending your time with light armour on, so up close melee fighting will be harder with less armour. Focus on leveling sneak, light armour, 1 handed and archery to survive.

I chose to be a Dark Elf, I am spending points on Archery and Sneak at the moment, although I am only level 7 right now. The game is pretty fun, only regret so far is I saved and bought a horse and sadly it was killed rather quickly. I thought it might come back like they do in Red Dead Redemption but so far it has not.

I chose to be a Dark Elf, I am spending points on Archery and Sneak at the moment, although I am only level 7 right now. The game is pretty fun, only regret so far is I saved and bought a horse and sadly it was killed rather quickly. I thought it might come back like they do in Red Dead Redemption but so far it has not.

nice choice, dark elves are my second fave after nords.

and yeah horses are weak and way too costly for what you get, although money isn't really too hard to come by.

A good horse can be acquired, ill stick it in a spoiler tag though, in case you want to find this out yourself:)

[spoiler=123456]During the dark brotherhood questline, after completing a mission called 'The Cure For Madness' you will be gifted a horse called shadowmere. it is a dark purple colour and is very powerful and will last through very tough battles. The horse can still die, but it will respawn around 10 days later, at the place where it died.

The dark elf is a good choice. A very versatile class that can be good in both melee and magic combat. Don't forget that each of your hands can hold an item, so you can approach a situation with a sword in 1 hand and a spell in the other. Also don't disregard spell scrolls especially at lower levels as they can really help deal with those tricky enemies and you don't need loads of mana to use them.

nice choice, dark elves are my second fave after nords.

and yeah horses are weak and way too costly for what you get, although money isn't really too hard to come by.

A good horse can be acquired, ill stick it in a spoiler tag though, in case you want to find this out yourself:)

[spoiler=123456]During the dark brotherhood questline, after completing a mission called 'The Cure For Madness' you will be gifted a horse called shadowmere. it is a dark purple colour and is very powerful and will last through very tough battles. The horse can still die, but it will respawn around 10 days later, at the place where it died.

Thanks I had to look at the spoiler Lol, I will be on the lookout for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to go with the races with abilities you can't get elsewhere or not for a very long time. The Imperial's ability to calm a situation has saved me a few very long reloads by calming an important enemy at the right time. The nord's shout isn't much use and the frost resist is easily reproduced fairly early on.

***Possible spoiler***

As for class it's purely a roleplay thing, you're completely capable or switching between any and all classes simply by changing clothing/armour, jewellery and weapons and it's even easier now with the respec at the end of dragonborn. I tend to make sure I keep a couple of magic schools, a weapon type and an armour type maintained with lvling up and that's always worked for me.