Duke Nukem’s PR Threatens To Punish Sites That Run Negative Reviews

xXxDArKtOrNxXx

i personally believe that because this game was 12 years in development people actually expected a masterpiece. But the reality is it wasn't 12 years in development just 12 years since it was announced. I personally believe that if you complete the game and look at the screenshots not much has changed in the versions, just the enemy models. Gearbox polished an almost finished game and added multiplayer (which i have not played but is the critics high point for the game). My opinion is, firstly loved the game and secondly watch for the next duke because hopefully a new project will see the benefits of unreal engine 3.

i'd say the game is pretty shit, not 49% shit though

i would say 70 - 75%

but a company refusing to send out review copies almost smacks of, "we're going to continue making shit games, we just wont give you a free one to review"

fuck em, if they want to carry on with the blacklist shit, and lose all the reviewers, then they will miss out on peoples purchases who base a preorder / release day purchase on review scores

the main thing i dislike about DNF is ; that duke appears to have put on more than a few pounds, now only jumping a few inches, and running like the same asthmatic clown who is in every FPS these days

sure the graphics are nothing special, but that should be a small relatively insignificant part of a game (unless they are a garbled mess that renders the game unplayable) sounds are a little poor at times, but almost every game has that issue

if they dont want to risk reviews, they either need to release demo's to the everybody before the game is out, or make a really good game

i guess yahtzee won't be getting a copy of DNF anytime soon...

I think the sites that gave it a bad review for being "offensive" or "sexist" should be blacklisted, the sheer ignorance of playing a Duke Nukem game and not realizing that it was going to be offensive is amazing. I have been reading review after review of people slamming it for cheap bathroom humor and poor taste sexual innuendos cracks me up, it is Duke what were you expecting a cerebral shooter that would make you contemplate the human condition? It is a game that is stupid for stupid sake, it is a 90's style shooter that is supposed to be fun to play and that's about it. Not a revolutionary new wave "crap of dushey" style game, for gods sake people complaining about graphics is laughable as well, I got this game with my decade old preorder from Electronics boutique its still the same game I was waiting for back then just polished up a bit. For gods sake look at some of the old vids on YouTube and you will see the exact same levels you are playing just with a newer engine powering them. I guess this is what we can expect from the so-called media when it comes to reviews, pay us and we will love it don't and we will just find idiotic reasons to give you a bad review. This game was pure duke and anyone who bitches about it obviously didn't get it, its a joke, laugh with it and enjoy a shooter that doesn't hand you the game in one short sitting.

Every bad review I read was about the horrendous gameplay, loading times and overall bad quality of the game, none of the major review sites cited the 'offensive' humour as a draw-back or a reason for the bad scores, there are a million other problems with the game which are a bigger priority.

i would say 70 - 75%

but a company refusing to send out review copies almost smacks of, "we're going to continue making shit games, we just wont give you a free one to review"

fuck em, if they want to carry on with the blacklist shit, and lose all the reviewers, then they will miss out on peoples purchases who base a preorder / release day purchase on review scores

the main thing i dislike about DNF is ; that duke appears to have put on more than a few pounds, now only jumping a few inches, and running like the same asthmatic clown who is in every FPS these days

sure the graphics are nothing special, but that should be a small relatively insignificant part of a game (unless they are a garbled mess that renders the game unplayable) sounds are a little poor at times, but almost every game has that issue

if they dont want to risk reviews, they either need to release demo's to the everybody before the game is out, or make a really good game

i guess yahtzee won't be getting a copy of DNF anytime soon...

I disagree!!!

I think the sites that gave it a bad review for being "offensive" or "sexist" should be blacklisted, the sheer ignorance of playing a Duke Nukem game and not realizing that it was going to be offensive is amazing. I have been reading review after review of people slamming it for cheap bathroom humor and poor taste sexual innuendos cracks me up, it is Duke what were you expecting a cerebral shooter that would make you contemplate the human condition? It is a game that is stupid for stupid sake, it is a 90's style shooter that is supposed to be fun to play and that's about it. Not a revolutionary new wave "crap of dushey" style game, for gods sake people complaining about graphics is laughable as well, I got this game with my decade old preorder from Electronics boutique its still the same game I was waiting for back then just polished up a bit. For gods sake look at some of the old vids on YouTube and you will see the exact same levels you are playing just with a newer engine powering them. I guess this is what we can expect from the so-called media when it comes to reviews, pay us and we will love it don't and we will just find idiotic reasons to give you a bad review. This game was pure duke and anyone who bitches about it obviously didn't get it, its a joke, laugh with it and enjoy a shooter that doesn't hand you the game in one short sitting.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Gearbox a lot --- but this is not something they can blame reviewers on. The game just feels brutally old. Animation is terrible. Physics are terrible. The humor is shaky at best. Levels are dull. It is just not a terribly amazing game and reviewers who gave it solid scores would be hard to take all that seriously in the future.

As bad of an idea as it is to cut off reviewers from future games, it's sadly something that this game would've been better off doing from the start. The gaming industry is out of shape and honestly stands a good chance of crumbling like it did prior to Nintendo's intervention if things keep up they were they are. We're living in an era where graphics are the most important thing in a game and gameplay doesn't matter just so long as every game on the market plays exactly like [insert title here], in this case it would be FPS playing exactly like CoD.

Duke Nukem Forever was not made for the gaming industry. It was made for the fans of Duke Nukem. It's pretty much fan service to those of us that have been loyal for the past 14 years. People that didn't play it in the past or didn't like it in the past obviously aren't going to enjoy this because it's not what they're used to. People that were past fans and didn't like this, well you let 14 years of hype get the better of you.

Duke Nukem is not the greatest game in the world, no. But it's by no means a terrible game. It's shooting mechanics are solid. Turret sections are a bit bland, but the shrunken platforming and occasional puzzle weren't terrible (why would they be. It's the same basic mechanics as what HL2 used.) Weapon variety and enemy variety are about on the same level as the classic shooters that Duke is aiming to emulate (Hell, there were more guns in this than most modern FPS these days.) The two-weapon system and Health recharge system weren't desirable traits for fans of DN3D, but at least they fortunately weren't broken features and the game was still able to make it work and be fun at the same time.

My only real peeve aside from the above mention mechanics were the shortage of secrets and easter eggs. Blessedly the game did not suffer from any glitches, the soundtrack was solid, the graphics weren't nearly as terrible as people make them out to be, and aside from a couple dull moments throughout the campaign, I had a solidly enjoyable experience. I hope they can eliminate some of the lag on the network as well because I'm really enjoying the multiplayer experience as well. Definitely looking forward to new DLC for SP and MP both.

I don't read reviews due to the fact it is that one persons opinion. If everyone agreed with on everything then people would either like or hate everything. Some of my most favorite video games, movies and music more than enough people hated.

I say Fuck 'em! To each his own.

And another thing. why does everyone compare shooters to CoD and Halo and whatnot. Wolfenstein 3D was one of the first original shooters in the genre. If anything they should compare it to that lol.

Edited by Darkling26

i would say 70 - 75%

A 70-75% still qualifies as a shit game to you? Maybe you should be reviewing for Game Informer...

Anyway, I think this game has been rated very unfairly by the majority of reviews. Most of them just talk about how offended they are and gloss over the gameplay, which is pretty good IMO. The scores this game is getting should be reserved for trash like Shellshock 2 that is barely playable.

A 70-75% still qualifies as a shit game to you? Maybe you should be reviewing for Game Informer...

yeah, i think i was being a bit generous with my %, 65 - 70 at a push, must have been in a good mood.

i'm generally a bit too generous with my %'s, i don't like to give my full unedited opinions, i get carried away (check any post i make in threads about activision), and also in trouble by whoever is in charge, my rant about this game could go on for many hours

in a way i wish they (gearbox) didnt bother, and just made their own duke game, if this is what 3d realms spent 10 years on, they need shooting, seriously, no fucker give them a job, they'll sit there drawing tits.

hopefully, either gearbox will now take time and make their own duke game, and make it well, or just lay it to rest, but i would prefer for duke to not go out in this way

yeah, i think i was being a bit generous with my %, 65 - 70 at a push, must have been in a good mood.

i'm generally a bit too generous with my %'s, i don't like to give my full unedited opinions, i get carried away (check any post i make in threads about activision), and also in trouble by whoever is in charge, my rant about this game could go on for many hours

in a way i wish they (gearbox) didnt bother, and just made their own duke game, if this is what 3d realms spent 10 years on, they need shooting, seriously, no fucker give them a job, they'll sit there drawing tits.

hopefully, either gearbox will now take time and make their own duke game, and make it well, or just lay it to rest, but i would prefer for duke to not go out in this way

Yeah, the game could have been better but I think it turned out ok especially after all the hell it's been through. Hell, I had fun playing it and got some laughs along the way so they must have did something right. I started playing Red Faction Armageddon after I finished DNF and I'm sitting there thinking about going back and cleaning up achievements (Steam) in DNF. That in itself means to me the game has some worth. I do hope Gearbox comes out with another Duke game someday. I think they should go totally old school though with carrying all weapons and health packs. At least the regenerating health made some sense in DNF since it was his ego that was refilling but only having 2 weapons was a bad choice.

Yeah, the game could have been better but I think it turned out ok especially after all the hell it's been through. Hell, I had fun playing it and got some laughs along the way so they must have did something right. I started playing Red Faction Armageddon after I finished DNF and I'm sitting there thinking about going back and cleaning up achievements (Steam) in DNF. That in itself means to me the game has some worth. I do hope Gearbox comes out with another Duke game someday. I think they should go totally old school though with carrying all weapons and health packs. At least the regenerating health made some sense in DNF since it was his ego that was refilling but only having 2 weapons was a bad choice.

I definitely agree the health was good but 2 weapons everybody is doing that these days and for some games its good but as a original duke fan i was a little pissed i liked switching to all guns at any time like shrinking and then turning around and freezing someone else and then blow them all up with the devastator much more fun if they just let us keep all guns like back then

Edited by animefiendchase
Error

agreed anime, 2 weapons on an FPS is a travesty, ive just been struggling my way through the monster truck level with fuck all

at the end of duke burger, no fucker dropped me a weapon, plus i died first attempt which removed my rocket launcher (exchanged it for the shrinker), finished with 6 shrinker ammo

BTW, shrinker vs flying rocket pricks FTW.

and for the first 2 sections of the next level, not a single enemy has dropped a weapon for me, thankfully there were some to find, but i want my shotty back, i hate rippers, and my current railgun / rocket combo is a little dangerous

think im one of the few that hates regenerating health, i think it only came around because the way AI is programmed, on harder settings, it's impossible to get through without being hit

my hopes for a new duke game

1. numerical health (with health pick ups)

2. carry all weapons

3. increased ammo count.

4. vastly increased enemy count

5. more emphasis on level design, and puzzles & traps etc

6. more levels (or longer levels, less work on graphics, more on larger levels, shorter loading times, anything to help maintain the flow of the game)

and most importantly, options of route (linear route, with optional secret routes to skip sections / find extra weapons / ammo)

setting, orbitting & on alien homeworld (apart from intro & first level)

aliens return, this time just for duke, blah level killing everything, end of level easy boss, followed by dukes abduction

aliens enter duke into a survival game, their greatest enemies from the universe, all gathered in an unreal tournament style setting

guest appearance from doom guy, they escape at end of first true level, doom guy goes to search for keys

commence rest of game, where duke goes everywhere on the ship and planet killing everything

ending, duke left in space, has his one moment of clarity, decides never to return to earth, for the safety of humanity

and that is all the story it needs, just a thought, and if i can do that in 5 minutes, what the fuck took 3drealms so long to rape this franchise...

i only blame gearbox for actually releasing the game, not making it bad...

Oh, and bring back the boot of god

Edited by GR4V1G0R3