Do you buy games on release date or later?

Mr360xX

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always pick a few i wont the most then my wife normally gets me the other ones for Christmas.

This year I'm getting Gears of War 3, FIFA 12, Skyrim and either Assassins Creed or Saints Row 3.

Me and the wife are still having on going negotiations for MGS HD collection and Goldeneye.

saints row 3 as epic as it will be i will have to wait untill xmas or unless battlefield really isnt my thing i will trade that in for it

When i had a Wii i pretty much picked up every first party Nintendo game on release day. on 360 ive only bought one game on release day (Naruto UNS 2). I also picked up Tekken 6 on the day i got my Xbox(full price $99, a week or two after it came out, obviously i would have picked it up on release day.) Another game i would've picked up on day 1 if i had a 360 at the time is Soulcalibur 4(there may be a few others like most wanted ect). I tried to get afl live on release, but had a few problems with trade ins. got it a couple weeks later.

So pretty much: release day for the wii, and barring some exceptions i generally pick games up a while after they come out on 360.(though sometimes its just me catching up from games that came out before dec 2009).

If it's something I'm really anticipating, I buy it release day. Otherwise I'll wait until a dry spell for games comes around. It's expensive now till Xmas I know that much:

This month:

Dead Island

Gears 3

October:

Batman

November:

Skyrim

Halo

Saints Row 3

Assassins Creed Rev.

They're all day one for me. Mad thing is Novembers are all within a 7 day period.

It really depends.

Most stuff I want I pre-order from Amazon so I guess I get it on the first day of release if it has that option, otherwise Amazon Prime subscriber + next day shipping for $3.99 FTW!

Mainly all the big title, triple A games have release day delivery, but I am guessing games like Otemedius Excellent, and possibly Rise of Nightmares wont have same day delivery, but I'll still buy/pre-order them on release date.

Then all other games that I might want, but am not that super interested in getting immediately will be Best Buy pick ups, either during the week of release or a week or 2 later (depending on what sales they have that week as well)

Lastly just about all sports titles (aside from Fight Night) I basically refuse to buy unless they are clearance or years after they had been released where I can pick them up for under $10

I buy games that I feel hold their value on release (MW, Halo, etc), others I wait a few months. You can find them for cheaper then.

Personally, in your list I'd leave Dead Island and Dead Rising for a while, they'll be half the price in no time.

I really want Dead Island, Gears of War 3, The new Dead Rising, MW3, Halo CE. All of those together is like $300 ! I don't know what to do! Should I wait until the price goes down?

I normally do however this year has so many great comes coming out so close together that its going to be hard to get them all on release

Ive changed a lot in the last couple of years.

I used to buy most my games at release, but I didn't play many games total.

I now seem to play a lot more games, a lot of them being older games. I'll maybe still buy my usual COD on release date, though Black Ops has put me off a fair bit.

I also really want Dead Island.

But with a 7 week old baby, I've been buying mostly used/old games this year, mostly due to disposable income.

That said, I'm a little reluctant to buy new games, when I know they will be seriously cheap in a few months. Or that I'll barely play it! I've currently got about 20-30 games I've barely played.

I bought Dead Space 2 and Dead Rising 2 close to release, I haven't played DR, and barely half way through DS!

So whilst i do want new games, I know that it's unlikely I'll play them properly right away....

That said, Dead Island looks great!

Up until Red Dead Redemption came out I NEVER bought a game new. It was always used, and it was always a good amount of time after it came out so it was pretty cheap. But the older I got, the fact that I had a steady job and decided I didn't have to wait so long to play games I wanted, has caused me to start buying new. RDR was the first game I ever pre-ordered and got on release date, and since then it's what I do for every game that I need RIGHT NOW. Skyrim? I NEED THAT. So it's definitely pre-ordered. Dead Island? I can wait, so I probably won't pre-order and will instead wait for a used copy.

It also depends on the bonus stuff you get if you pre-order or buy it new. If it has a sweet outfit, or gun set, then that might be the push I need to make me want to buy it new, or on release date.

When it comes to release dates the floor becomes open for debate on where the house cash goes. I have to want a game bad, or we both want one, for it to pass muster and make it to the purchase list.

Certain exceptions exist (such as Forza 4) where negotiation is bypassed, even if it is only me that wants it!!! :)

Otherwise it's a case of buy it preowned.