What is the hurry?

GODNOAHME

It seems that many people are sprinting through versus with no regard for their teammates let alone the game. I look at the maps/campaigns as tactical adventures where you all survive or go down together fighting. The measly 25 points per survivor bonus makes me think Valve thinks this too. One selfish loner/sprinter kills a team and a game and can't be having too much fun either. I can't figure out if these guys are f'n around, stupid or just new to L4D and playing it like some other shooter...perhaps all of the above but man they are not catching on quickly. You would think the pattern of sprinting through a map and getting booted would teach them something?

Sprinting is an important part of versus. Sure one person running by himself is dangerous but moving fast as a team is key. The faster you move through a map helps catch the other team off guard. It wont give them the time they need to set you up with an ambush. another thing is why do people feel they have to check EVERY health/pipe bomb spawn. The more time you spend messing around the more of a chance you have of getting raped.

I see that quite a bit as well. It's not the people trying to move through the level, it's the ones that have to loot every house that screw things up. In L4D1, it was possible to just move from one safe point to the next without much fear if you were a good team. But trying it in this game usually leads to failure. The new SI, particularly the Spitter makes all the difference.

I agree that a team should move as fast as possible to prevent ambushes and limit S.I. spawns. The faster the team moves, the more it makes S.I. attack you carelessly and from the wrong positions which can definitely result in easy kills for the survivors.

But even the best players get hit by S.I. and it is incredibly frustrating to see that one poor/mediocre/selfish player just keep booking it forward and not helping attacked teammates...next thing you know is he is only one not dead or down and he is being heavliy stalked by an available S.I. or sitting in safe room shooting at the door quivering in fear lol.

Did he make it further? Yes, but at expense of 3 other players. The game clearly has specials that can put some distance between teammates. I guess the goal to all get to safe room requires all players to stick together. Perhaps many just play with more selfish goals, no goals or just no clue.

Edited by GODNOAHME

Haha I think versus is a frigging race dude, everybody tries to make it to the end. So I joined the bunch and enjoy it. :) I can see why it's annoying, but I also understand why people rush through it. :p

Do you look at it as a team race or every man for himself type thing?

I always play in a group of 3 or 4, and we tend to do this a lot just to screw around. If someone is pinned down, we do a 180 and help him out, then keep going. It just makes it fun.

We also do this because the other team is never a challenge. Why take it serious when we always win 2500+ to <500? Personally I don't join versus games alone, I always wait to play with a bunch of friends, it doesn't get frustrating that way.

Do you look at it as a team race or every man for himself type thing?

It all depends on the team you're playing with to me dude. If it's a good team you stay with them if you see they run ahead without a care, do the same.

I don't play versus much so maybe I've been stuck with sucky teams. I prefer Scavenge. :p :drunk

Of course speed is key in VS, but that is not what the OP is talking about. The uber aggrivating asshole who sprints away from his whole team and never looks back totaly ruins the game. I hate most when they have mics and they think they are better than everyone else because they can sprint to the saferoom, spawning all the CI and leaving them behind, while their team has to deal with the SI down one man. and then if the bastard does get held up, his team is always behind him in time to save him, something he wouldnt do for them.

I agree with the OP. Almost no man left behind. There are a few exceptions like your really stupid or tank on the parrish finale kinda thing

then if the bastard does get held up, his team is always behind him in time to save him, something he wouldnt do for them.

Thats when you let him get downed and leave him for dead. Or simply call a vote and play with an AI teammate till someone else joins. Besides AI dominate SI while playing VS.

Of course speed is key in VS, but that is not what the OP is talking about. The uber aggrivating asshole who sprints away from his whole team and never looks back totaly ruins the game. I hate most when they have mics and they think they are better than everyone else because they can sprint to the saferoom, spawning all the CI and leaving them behind, while their team has to deal with the SI down one man. and then if the bastard does get held up, his team is always behind him in time to save him, something he wouldnt do for them.

I agree with the OP. Almost no man left behind. There are a few exceptions like your really stupid or tank on the parrish finale kinda thing

Precisely what I am getting at...thank-you. From now on, I am walking by any downed leet self appointed leader...let them enjoy that before they RQ. I have not done this out of being optimistic that they are new or will catch on but there is no cure for ignorant so I will let it go.

If you are playing versus, the whole point of the game is to survive.

I am a big fan of communication, and running like hell, sticking together the whole way.

But to be honest, I prefer playing the infected so much more. I don't know a better feeling of grabbing that one survivor that didn't stay with the pack, and taking him down...

I think it's funny that people consider players that quickly get to the safe room as amateur. I play with a group of people and this is primarily what we do and we almost never lose. If we have a full team that almost becomes never. The key is to run but keep together. We still rescue teammates that get snagged but for us it's the exact opposite of what most of you are complaining about. When we don't have a full team there's always somebody way far back searching every room and getting held up by common.

I think it's funny that people consider players that quickly get to the safe room as amateur. I play with a group of people and this is primarily what we do and we almost never lose. If we have a full team that almost becomes never. The key is to run but keep together. We still rescue teammates that get snagged but for us it's the exact opposite of what most of you are complaining about. When we don't have a full team there's always somebody way far back searching every room and getting held up by common.

The complaints are not about a fast moving team, they are about a single player running ahead with total disregard for the other 3. Someone always gets smoked etc and needs help which slows play temporarily. The complaints are about the player long gone ahead by himself, not looking back for anyone.

Now on your take...you are correct, if you move quickly as a team, you can run by most commons and cause most specials to spawn behind you and have to catch you. That prevents many planned ambushes. You will surely score points and likely win much of the time as many players are either new or still playing the methodical fight/advance that was learned with L4D1.

Small hordes and overpowered melee weapons allow teams to move through common infected pretty unaffected so the Specials have lost their main help for allowing them to spawn close, together and attack. The addition of ridiculous access to mollies, pipe bombs, boomer bile means survivors don't have to search much and when you do, items are easy to find. Health packs and pills are also quite abundant so good play by the Specials is negated there quite easily as well. In L4D1, you needed a little searching to find uncommon items in order to make it, not so much anymore.

So basically, I now see L4D2 as 'Versus for Dummies'...I guess necessary to get the new people involved/not discouraged. If you want to put together a decent team to race through these maps, get high scores and feel like a winner, it is surely your choice. It does not mean everyone who does this is skilled at the game, just skilled at getting around some of the present poor game characteristics.

Valve will surely make changes that will slow/prevent this racing approach...then we shall see if the racers are as good as they think.

The only thing worse than people running by themselves is people not leaving the starting area and running back there to get more supplies. Seriously retarded, and usually the rest of the team doesn't make it far because people want to go back and help the idiot. Even if you abandon them you are a man down. I've had 2-3 games like this now, it's just unacceptable.