Red Dead Redemption Multiplayer

I've been playing the multiplayer for 2 days now and im getting the impression that most people on it are idiots. Been playing public free roam and it seems whenever i go near another player thats not my friend ends up gunning me down >_< was wondering why this is...you get next to nothing xp from killing another player and if you wanted to do "shoot everyone in sight" why not play FFA or gang matches :mad:

Give me your impression on the multiplayer!

All in all great multiplayer experience despit the idiots gunning me down every 10 minutes -_- ;)

Lol true man but hey what do you expect them to do? Just stand there and say hi, their gonna kill you no matter what, they have f*ck all to do, guess they like pissing people off but damn I really hate it when they chase after you though! argh! Still brillaint game overall, amazing when in a posse spamming a hideout out for exp, its brillaint.

Funny how they'll shoot you down but a quick Posse change and you're all buddies!

Its just how the games played and I dont think xp comes into. Yeh you get a bit but the other person's gonna think that you're gonna shoot him so they shoot you first.

It can be annoying.. Like when me and a mate keep spawn killing a guy. He runs away, calls his horse and we shoot that so he cant go anywhere etc.. Other than that, just try and stay clear of them or create a massive posse!

Most of the time, if I posse request and they accept, they still shoot me down! Wtf?!

The good part is that auto-aim is turned off for posse mates. So you should be able to escape very easily.

It's quite a shame that you just can't trust people online. I saw someone doing twin rocks, so wanted to join. He aimed at me but as a just ignored him, he didn't shoot. However, I guess he wanted to be the top player again so he shot me with a high powered pistol.

First time I thought I was in his line of fire. Second time I wondered why he suddenly became violent. That was around the time 2 guys came, 1 had a bull. Those guys started shooting me so I killed them and stole the bull. I then ran away into the setting sun.

Me and my mate needed the challenge for Fort Mercer I think its called only got the game last night. So we went there and 2 guys were doing it so I killed the NPC's so it counts as me doing the hideout = challenge so the 2 guys shot us.

Considering all we'd played was free roam on that server we were low levels but pimped cause we'd already ran through all the hideouts on the map. So we spawn killed them for about 30mins 1 fleed.

We stopped and tried the fort again for xp but the guy came back for more and more really not the smartest thing I had an 11 kill streak on him alone at one point.

I think it has part to do with just stupidity, and the other part with not being able to distinguish colors for posses and or know who your teammates are.

Probably needs a better indicator to see whos who. Like a star for posse members.

Although, if they were playing with casual or normal targeting it should be obvious that they are not shooting at enemies...

The people doing this are assholes, idiots, or both. They should be doing deathmatch if they want to shoot people. I got killed when I was trying to waypoint my map, I was no threat at all. Being that free roam is your lobby I recommend only playing with friends for coop. Only problem for me is not many of my friends have it.

But yeah getting shot for no reason and hearing someone say how "gay" everyone is (because somepone retaliated and killed them) pisses me off really quickly. Why people can't just try to enjoy the game is beyond my comprehension.

Btw if anyone reading this is tired of it you can fr me, but be aware I only playonline limited hours.

i just started the multiplayer free roam part of red dead last night and spawn in near tesoro azul, unfortunately for me i spawned inside the sniper scope of a few of these jerks. So for the next 20 minutes i tried my best to kill them quickly so i could make my getaway. that didnt work and i was being spawn killed for the next 10 minutes till i could figure out how to leave the session. I dont really understand how that is fun for anybody. Maybe Rockstar should have given you the option of spawning near where you died or at some other location or town. that would solve most of it.

If you dont want to get shot go into PRIVATE & you can do everything in peace, however if you choose to go into the PUBLIC then you should expect to get shot at

Edited by M!ke

I was really surprised at the hostility. I only just started playing online after completing the story and everyone shoots everyone. I didn't mind at first because I assumed that's just how it was but it loses its appeal really quickly when you can't do anything because people keep shooting you. It would be nice to have some hostility free servers or something so that there is the possibility of wandering around the world a little more.

Agreed, considering there are achievements tied to Public Free Roam how are you supposed to complete them if people keep hunting you down? This is the same reason I stopped playing GTA IV multiplayer. It can be fun for a while but when you're trying to enjoy other aspects of the game you're pinned down.

They should make a "friendly fire-off" free roam area. It'd be good if they made it like borderlands where if you want to you can melee a team-mate (doesn't hurt them) and it invites them to duel, and if they melee back it's an accept. You can then duel between the two of you, no interference from others.

I haven't really tried mp yet. I was hoping they'd have 16 versus quickdraw tourney, like The Quick and the Dead, where you can go one on one with other players, but from what I've seen it's just the free for all shootout.

The good part is that auto-aim is turned off for posse mates. So you should be able to escape very easily.

It's quite a shame that you just can't trust people online. I saw someone doing twin rocks, so wanted to join. He aimed at me but as a just ignored him, he didn't shoot. However, I guess he wanted to be the top player again so he shot me with a high powered pistol.

First time I thought I was in his line of fire. Second time I wondered why he suddenly became violent. That was around the time 2 guys came, 1 had a bull. Those guys started shooting me so I killed them and stole the bull. I then ran away into the setting sun.

Yh man very true and damn I guess you get away at the end which is good :)

Mostly I leave everyone alone, except for when I'm minding my own business doing Twin Rocks hideout over and over for xp and then someone comes in and votes to continue. That makes the hideout not repeat until I leave the area completely. Then I unload my anger on to them again and again. Otherwise I only shoot back if they shoot at me.

I've got mostly the same experience from public free roam as the rest of you.

I haven't been playing too much public free roam apart from getting the achievements done, but there's always been people out to kill and spawnrape for no reason. I don't really blame them as it's more of a design problem that allows for the constant rape. E.g. the game constantly respawns you in the immediate vicinity of your killers, unmounted and without deadeye, ready to get mowed down again.

This is probably the worst case I've encountered:

Went online to just hang around with a friend yesterday and the first thing that happened was that I got constantly followed, killed and, I guess, taunted by two guys for approx 20 minutes. One lvl 41 and one lvl 20something(i think), I was lvl 21. They were a two guy posse and they were talking in game chat on french (which I don't understand) every time they shot me and I could specifically hear "mienvard" being said once. I know we could've just changed session, but I wasn't really annoyed by what happened and kind of wanted to see how long they'd keep it going. Maybe take a shot at figuring out their motivation for playing in the way they do. Me and my friend was initially headed for Fort Mercer so I just kept trying to get there while being killed over and over again. Being passive got me killed, killing them got me killed, running away got them chasing me and got me killed. After about 10 minutes I put the controller down for a minute, connected my capture card and started recording.

So tonight I will upload about 8 minutes of joyfull free roam rape to youtube. And I hope it represents what the R* designers wanted free roam to be, because it's sure as hell what they made it. Some simple design changes would've changed it completely. Two obvious ones off the top of my head:

- Allowing you to "chicken out"; respawn at a chosen destination if killed by a hostal posse. Maybe only after X repeated kills.

- Allowing your posse to go undetected, instead of your location in the world being constantly broadcasted on the map. This would also lead to more interesting battles when two posse's actually managed to track eachother down.

Free roam sounded great before launch, but there's no fun in just being hunted down and killed again and again, nor do I see the fun of repeatedly killing random people not interested in fighting. Free roam shouldn't be carebear village, but it isn't joined FFA and Team DM either. Maybe some tweaks and a scoring system could make it so and actually make it fun? In my opinion it doesn't work at the moment, but it's got potential for a very unique and fun multiplayer mode.

Finally: Does anybody here know french fluently and (as soon as I get the vid uploaded) want to translate and post a transcript or just general summary of what the hell they were going on about? I'm kind of curious =)

Edited by mienvard
Spelling

I just started doing Free Roam yesterday after finishing SP. And it did not take long before I was introduced to the Spawn killers. I am immediately killed by some dude on a horse. I respawn, and within 5 seconds that same dude is shooting at me again. So I fight back. I find myself in this constant struggle just to survive, because this one guy will not leave me alone. I'm thinking, "Is this what Free Roam was intended to be?"

Now I don't agree with those who complain about getting killed while doing the "Most Wanted" achievement. The game announces when someone has reached most wanted status and switches their icon to a skull, so it is clear that the game wants you to hunt down these people. It's what makes it challenging. But the random killing is just irritating.

I agree with the above poster. What Rockstar needs to do is get rid of the always on radar idea. At any time you can just pull up the map and see exactly where a person is, it shows their name and everything. That should only work with your posse. It would add a whole lot more freedom and suspense to turn a corner and suddenly see another human player standing there, wondering if they're hostile or not, rather than seeing their little circle moving toward you on the mini-map.

That was around the time 2 guys came, 1 had a bull. Those guys started shooting me so I killed them and stole the bull. I then ran away into the setting sun.

Haha love it XD

It'd be good if they made it like borderlands where if you want to you can melee a team-mate (doesn't hurt them) and it invites them to duel, and if they melee back it's an accept. You can then duel between the two of you, no interference from others.

Good idea but don't think it would work unforunately.

Edited by ParsleyParsnips