How do I keep a new laptop running like new?

Inyaface13

I am getting a brand new Acer laptop pretty soon, It has 4GB of Memory and 320GB Hard drive and comes with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor and I wanted to know what is the best way to keep this laptop running at its best? Is there any websites that show how to take care of a laptop and help me keep it running like new for as long as possible? I usually download torrents on occasion and I wanted to know how to keep my laptop clean from viruses and hackers and know what to stay away from the best I can while staying in budget. I just really want to take care of it but I know it will end up like my other computers if I don’t look this up. Any help or tips?

Make sure that dust doesn't build up on it especially on the speakers, my laptops speakers tend to get dust on it but since I clean it regularly it doesn't worry me. A good warretny as well wont hurt just bought my laptop n oct and I bought a 5 year warranty with it that transfers to any other laptop if I choose to switch. Also a external hard drive save all your stuff there as back up just in case.

From my experience you can do all the things you want to avoid virus's, spyware etc and make sure you keep the laptop clean. The sad thing is laptops burn out pretty fast. Withing a year or so it will start to slow down regardless.

Formatting it every 6 months should prolong it's speed though. As it will probably be running windows so just keep speeding for spyware scanners and make sure you keep stay away from from internet explorer.

As it stands though laptops just seems to slow down regardless.

Apart from the physical side of things like dust, my main suggestion would be not to use Windows.

My wife's netbook is grinding to a halt and that's just really a Windows issue - no malware,dodgy shit or duff hardware, just the usual gradual decline with Windows....

I'm currently using Ubuntu and loving it - no issues with virii and have found all free apps to replace what I was using on my Windows box.

It takes a little while to get used to, but if you're just doing normal tasks like office, email, www and torrents it's worth the effort.

The best way of making your pc run like new is probably completely restarting it. Do you have recovery discs? If so you'll most likely be able to start back from when you first set up the computer.

After that I'd get an external drive to store all of you're downloads. To avoid viruses while surfing the web, I'd recommend Firefox as your browser. Also when downloading, make sure to read the comments. It'll let you know what torrents to avoid and which ones are clean from viruses.

Mostly try not to junk up your C: drive with apps and software, it'll only junk up your computer and have it run slow.

Most new laptops come with a partition on the harddrive to keep your files, folders etc. separate from the OS. I suggest creating a partition if there isn't one already, but this may mean reinstalling everything if the disk isn't dynamic. Also general weekly taks like defragmenting and disk cleanups will help.

+ most of what the other replies suggested.

Use Ccleaner as someone said above, run it every couple weeks or if you download some files to clear the registry and left over data. Also a really good program is Smart Defrag. Really good to defrag the drive at least once a month and that program does it way better than the defragmentation program that comes with windows.