Official Bitching Thread

Method

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am playing Duke Nukem now and I must say besides the glitches, load times, and few poor choices on dev parts....this game to me wasnt bad at all. It took me back the old Duke campaigns including 3D. As everyone else here agrees...I hated the 30 sec load times......I also hated the ending (for 12 years, you'd think they woulda come up with better), and you cant carry every gun with you anymore which I thought was sad. I do enjoy the new interactive stuff like Pin-Ball and Pool and the multi-player with it's seperate set of challenges and unlockables kept me playing this game for months.

• 2 weeks later...

This game can be a lot of fun. Were I just the casual/non-achievement hunting player, I would give this a fun play through on normal and call it a day.

However, the game mechanics make achievement hunting annoying...

Of course the mini-games, like Pool, Air Hockey, and Pinball are absolutely ridiculous - imagine trying to play these games in a world where physics didn't follow the rules.

Then you get onto Insane difficulty - a beast by itself, but then you get these extremely long load times after each death. Then there's the stupid turret fight, which is ungodly frustrating. No dodging, no hiding and relentless waves of pain!

Fun game though. If you're happy with 800 or so points, give the game a go. But prepare for frustration if you want the whole quesodilla.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I bought it last week for £6, so at that price I shouldn't really complain, but this is the bitching thread after all.

1. Loading times. It's already been said in this topic, no need to go into more detail

2. Not funny..at all. It's like they half pushed the envelope with regards to the sexism/nudity and bad language. Either go all out or don't bother.

3. The Driving section - just goes on for too long.

4. Underwater sections - Eugh, just awful, and why no Aqua lung pickup?

5. No Jetpack - Iconic in Duke Nukem 3D, not even in the single player.

6. Two weapons only - and not being able to carry much ammo. Totally strays from the Duke formula as well.

7. Frustration - Two parts spring instantly to mind - Octaking boss battle, and the part where you are going up the stairs getting barrels thrown at you. However, the final boss is laughably easy - why?

8. Some of the weapons are useless, especially the Trip mine. Good luck trying to get kills with that on higher difficulties.

9. Annoying jumping sections - whilst platforming is a Duke tradition, jumps in a FPS are always fail.

10. It's just not much fun...

I can overlook the graphics, but I can only assume the people sticking up for this game must be very big fans of Duke, or had terrible buyers remorse.

• 1 month later...

I picked this up at Walmart for $10.00. Not bad for a ten dollar game but still the load times are horrendous.....

and the lack of chic saving is pretty dumb. I mean isnt that one of his things; saving our babes? Those are my only two problems with this game that I got real cheap but if you asked me if I'd pay more then 10 would I pick it up? No! Mainly because the load times are ridiculous and the story is pretty lame. It seemed they tried too hard to be funny as well.

Edited by Fueled by Rage

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest problem with the game is that it feels like GB got the game and slapped a sticker on it and shipped it out. So many things needed fixing.

Bad load times. My god for a crappy graphics game the load time should be no longer then 5 seconds.

Accuracy of guns. I have the vertical and horizontal turned to one and the gun still whips around like crazy. And this is the biggest problem of what I'm talking about. You shot anyone point blank with a shotgun sometimes it will kill them in one hit. Other times good luck shot and shot and shot some more. Same with being on roids. You can hit someone once and they explode and other times I'll sit there and beat on them for hours it they don't want to die.

The two weapons at a time would be great and all if the weapons held a good amount of ammo but they don't. At times you can find plenty of ammo all over the place and its no biggie. But other times on bigger enemies you'll run out in no time.

The driving is very weird. I finally got kinda used to it but its still a pain. Not as easy as they could have made it.

Overall I know I've bitched a lot about it but it was an OK game. It kept me entertained and the jokes were funny. Like with the turd. Never have I laughed that much in a video game.

Am I glad that's over! I was expecting something mind-blowing for a game they said was years in the making/development,what were they doing in all that time?not much it seems.poor controls,poor graphics & level design and the same predictable enemies all the way through,I could go on but it's already been posted above.I've had enuf & I won't even bother mopping up the cheevos I missed or the insane playthrough as I'd end up insane myself.duke nukem is a franchise of the past and that's where it should stay

• 2 weeks later...

I really think most people jump on the crappy game band wagon with this one. Was there some things wrong with it... yeah there was, but try and find a game where everything is perfect (and DO NOT say halo or COD are perfect). Some part of the games were frustrating to say the least. The octaking battle on damn Im good is rough to say the least, and I hate jumping parts in a FPS.

• 1 month later...

why do you all pick about Insane difficulty, its not all that bad, pretty easy really :p. especially if you know some of the glitched places in the game, basically in most the middle stages.. you just keep your distance and have Railgun and Ripper/Shotgun, towards the end of the game, basically you have Shrink Ray/Ripper, Beginning, its not so bad so i go with Shotgun/Ripper. Just watch your ass a lot.. know when to use beer, steroids, hologram duke, and know how to use your ammo, and sometimes take chances, like when i played Octoking the first time i took a chance with little ammo, well 7 shoutgun shells, and little ammo in the railgun.., so i charged a few pigs and gained ammo.

I really only have 2 gripes, now that I think of it the load times are really long. But more than that I wish the multiplayer was more refined, I kinda wish they had lobbies like in CoD and Halo, but I do have to say I love what they did with the whole "My Digs" thing, other than that I loved it, considering I went in expecting a really good Duke game, and not some sort of holy grail.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like everyone said, the long load times were terrible. Especially in Insane when you can die in an instant of carelessness and have to endure a ~45 second load time.

Other than that my other biggest gripe is the difficulty. This game is NOT hard. It's unfair. There's a big difference. On Insane there are a few problem areas that are an exercise in frustration not because they're difficult, but because they are stupidly cheap.

There are a few minor gripes that aren't game hindering but a bit disappointing like the texture quality/pop, terrible animations/game models. Some very dated mechanics such as not being able to hold more than two guns at a time.

But all in all it was mildly entertaining. Not mind blowing by any means, no. But it reminded me of DN3D somewhat. Not quite as bad as people have made it out to be, but not great by any means. I'm glad I only paid $3 for it, though.

The insane difficulty.

The berzerk pigcops or whatever they're called are essentially a one-hit kill. Sure, technically it's 3 hits, but they lunge at you before you can get a decent shot off, and even if you do manage to dodge, they hit you anyway. And their three hits are essentially SWINGSWINGSWING in the span of half a second with little chance of survival. Which means they're a one-hit kill for all intents and purposes.

Cover is essentially useless. Most of it is destroyed in one shot, and they hunt you down anyway, making hiding behind cover nearly pointless.

And of course, the fucking load times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just picked this up cheap and I can say its horrible, fuck the jumping parts in Duke Burger level it reminds me of kids games like Ratatouille but then graphics from the Commodore 64 era.

Also Im playing on Casual and pretty much die A LOT so definitely gonna skip insane to save me some controllers.

Its pretty true to its original though if you consider the graphics, awful controls and tape recorder loading times :uzi:

and where the fucking BEER man, I found two cans in 6 hours of playing WTF??

• 1 month later...

Really am a huge Duke fan for almost all my life played 3D and Time to Kill as a 6-7 year old. I'm 19 I enjoyed this game for the 15$ I've spent,have three problems with the game,other then that I really enjoyed this game.

Load times they make Deadrising 2's loading times seem lightning fast.

The Pinball is the only minigame that I disliked cause you could tell the physics weren't there. On the classic Space Cadet 3D Pinball on CPS the highest I've got was 6 million,averaging a game 2-3 million, so why can I only get to like 100 k before I screw up in DNF ? I will have to see Rooster Teeth on a way to get that ''Balls of Steel achivement''

The insane playthrough is frustarting the fuck outta me and I'm one to stay calm and chilled on very hard difficultys while others would get mad. But this shit is pissing me off I'm stuck on the damn terrible turret rail shooting level after the Duke's Titty City level.

Edited by Deadsea 1993

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
duke nukem is a franchise of the past and that's where it should stay

What a load of shit

Elder scrolls is a franchise of the past so that one should stay too

The two weapons at a time would be great and all if the weapons held a good amount of ammo but they don't. At times you can find plenty of ammo all over the place and its no biggie. But other times on bigger enemies you'll run out in no time.

With the PC version they brought out a patch so you can hold 4 weapons.

Edited by Kazenji

• 6 months later...

- loading times(duh)

- two weapons? (i might as well play cod)

- stupid potty humor (sex jokes arnt funny when your not 12)

-and my biggest complaint is that i cant read the 'ego item's discovered 2/3' on chapter select! did almost everything in this game (including my insane playthrough) and im still missing ego. too bad the text looks like this

• 5 months later...

I had no problems with the game. I actually enjoyed it. There I said I enjoyed it.

I found parts of it funny, yes it's sex jokes but that's Duke Nukem. It was fun, I liked the parts with the Monster truck driving around running pigs over. It stayed true to Duke Nukem 3D etc. quite a lot. Anyone who complains about load times, pfft Bethesda games have worse load times, so does the Orange Box.