Is Dan *Really* The Worst Character?

Yes, I realize he's a joke character, as if his move-set didn't make that completely obvious, and storyline-wise he's definitely the weakest, but in terms of gameplay, he is still a shoto, technically.

I can play Dan way better than some other characters, such as Dhalsim, C. Viper, etc.

So, is Dan really the lowest tiered character in the game?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan isn't too bad. But again Pro vs Pro not so great. But you vs some random dude you might kill it.

I know that I am using Dan just to mix it up. His Ultra 2 is really slow but if you time it correctly then it does decent damage.

Also his dragon punch is pretty quick but again not great. He is fun to use since he is the Ryu Hybrid type character.

Dan is great. He was the one who go me my 10 wins on ranked achievment and I was just jumping around taunting most of the time. (the taunts hit)

He can't just spam projectiles then uppercut when they get close but his kick however is great.

Far from worst >_>

I hate tiers, people give them way too much credibility, as if they choose a higher tier character, they will suddenly become a better player or something.

I have a friend who actually right now is going around with Dan in ranked matches to get him up to level C and he's beaten all kinds of players (sagats, Ryus, bisons, Ryus, Kens, Ryus, etc)...so if he is the "worst" character, then it must be awfully embarrassing to get beat by him.

I dont think Dan's the worst, i would vote Gen as the worst, he only works if you know how to play him well, and very few people do. Dan, on the other hand, plays just like Ryu or Ken, so anyone can pick him up and play him, and with a little luck and good defense, could actually win a match.

I hate tiers, people give them way too much credibility, as if they choose a higher tier character, they will suddenly become a better player or something.

I have a friend who actually right now is going around with Dan in ranked matches to get him up to level C and he's beaten all kinds of players (sagats, Ryus, bisons, Ryus, Kens, Ryus, etc)...so if he is the "worst" character, then it must be awfully embarrassing to get beat by him.

I dont think Dan's the worst, i would vote Gen as the worst, he only works if you know how to play him well, and very few people do. Dan, on the other hand, plays just like Ryu or Ken, so anyone can pick him up and play him, and with a little luck and good defense, could actually win a match.

Well said. Tier's are NOT everything. I'm a big Sakura fan, though she's low on the tier list, she's still a good character if used right.

Dan is great. He was the one who go me my 10 wins on ranked achievment and I was just jumping around taunting most of the time. (the taunts hit)

He can't just spam projectiles then uppercut when they get close but his kick however is great.

Far from worst >_>

This is the only reason people claim him to be the worst, becuase the Ryu and Ken Haydoken then anti-air attack spam doesn't work (as his Gouken doesn't travel as far). People write him off because he is not an easy win guy. BUT, in close or in the hands of a good player, Dan is one of the most annoying guys there is.

Dan is terrible. The tier lists are representative of match-ups. The reason Dan is bad is because he has problems with almost everyone on the roster, largely due to his lack of mobility and being able to be zoned very easily.

I've got a video of a dan user putting in some damage, pretty entertaining.

He is a low tier character (and no, not just 'cause some site told me so), but he serves the purpose of "OMG, I got beat by so and so, WTFBBQ!!! Dhalsim, Gen, and all those other unpopular characters have more potential and tools than Dan, but require more patience then just spamming tatsu motions.

One of my favorite characters though...

Yeah Dan isnt Top Tier but now he got a good Ultra2 which you can combo easily from a FADC Srk. and to play him really good you need a good execution to pull off FADC combos because he is a high Risk Char and the reward isnt really good :D but for Fun hes just the Best!

And really, dont look up on Tier Rankings which Character you wanna play, you have to find your favourite during training.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZY3xuQuUfY]YouTube- Arcadia DVD SBO 09 Street Fighter 4 2v2 Team Makoto(Vega) & Dan(Ryu) vs Team Ojisan Boy(Sagat) & Tokido(Gouki)[/ame]

Here watch that Video, look at Makoto, one of Japans Top Players and hes using Vega (Claw) and beats out Tokido (he won the last Gods Garden)

Since we're talking about Super, I'm willing to say Dan has moved up quite a bit. He's definitely going to be better than Hakan and you can quote me on that.

Dan is definately better in Super. but i wouldnt go that far. Hakan is still new and most of us dont know where to begin with him.

Dan will always be one of the worst.. thats the whole point of him. And just bcos some1 can use dan better than some1 like Hakan or Dhalsim it doesnt make him a better fighter. Dan is meant to be a joke/

The tiers for Super havent been established yet.. but i would bet Dan is still at the bottom. But the tier system is just rough guide. If your good with Vega or Dan (bottom tier) does it really matter where they are in the tier system.

Edited by Deadly Moves

The tiers for Super havent been established yet.. but i would bet Dan is still at the bottom. But the tier system is just rough guide. If your good with Vega or Dan (bottom tier) does it really matter where they are in the tier system.

Are you implying that Vega is low-tier or high-tier with that comment?

Vega is low tier, next to bottom. well in SFIV he was. and i doubt i'll have moved much in SSFIV

here is a link to SFIV's tier list.. Click Me

That's strange to hear because often times I get very intimidated when I face a Vega, as often times they are very good (at least compared to me).

Vega's always tend to fly all over the screen left and right, often Izune dropping me or whatever it's called. Vega is one of those characters I can often have a tough time beating, and he was always impossible as a kid playing SFII:TWW on the SNES!

That's strange to hear because often times I get very intimidated when I face a Vega, as often times they are very good (at least compared to me).

Vega's always tend to fly all over the screen left and right, often Izune dropping me or whatever it's called. Vega is one of those characters I can often have a tough time beating, and he was always impossible as a kid playing SFII:TWW on the SNES!

Yeah i get what your saying.. But like i said.. Tiers arent everything.. it all depends on who is using them and how they are using them against whoever the other person picked. Just think of the tiers as an average.. on avarage if 2 players are of a similar skill.one picks ryu and the other picks dan. Ryu will more often beat dan. but thats not always they case. Ryu will always be a better character than Dan. But ryu is only as good as the player who is controlling him

Take Cammy for example. she's not far from the bottom, but alot of top/pro players use her and do really well in competitions. Zangief is quite abit higher than Cammy, but you rarely see pro players using Zangief in competitions.

Edited by Deadly Moves

Tier lists are next to useless, all they serve to tell you is on average, who has the better matchups against whoever. But people seem to forget 1 important thing, thats when THOSE who created that tier list use them, and they are their opinions for reasons absolute and not explained to the person reading them. Anyone can write off Dan as a contender but dan has some really damn good tools, his Ultra-II ensures a correct anti-air defense now and hes *almost* unpunishable even on block. But it comes down to what you know about the matchup, not what the tier list says.

I'll bet money that Cody is far higher up in the tier list (when a competent one emerges) than Dan but i know for damn sure Cody cannot beat a Dan who knows Cody's weakest point in that match up. In that fight, its Cody doing the running NOT Dan.

Tier lists are next to useless, all they serve to tell you is on average, who has the better matchups against whoever. But people seem to forget 1 important thing, thats when THOSE who created that tier list use them, and they are their opinions for reasons absolute and not explained to the person reading them. Anyone can write off Dan as a contender but dan has some really damn good tools, his Ultra-II ensures a correct anti-air defense now and hes *almost* unpunishable even on block. But it comes down to what you know about the matchup, not what the tier list says.

I'll bet money that Cody is far higher up in the tier list (when a competent one emerges) than Dan but i know for damn sure Cody cannot beat a Dan who knows Cody's weakest point in that match up. In that fight, its Cody doing the running NOT Dan.

And let us not forget his Ultra-1 that can counter almost any super or ultra, marvelous. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-olcFlqTdg]YouTube- SFIV Dan's Ultra: Advanced Strategies[/ame] (I know the second ultra usually has higher priority for many characters, but come on, it's Dan, that makes it 100x better)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRHLKMxlhh0&playnext_from=TL&videos=0JvvpawQBaY]YouTube- How to win at SF4 forever.[/ame] (just skip to 3:29, one of my favorites)

Edited by Gilganomics
Because Saikyo told me to

Tiers were made for one reason only: so the top players had a rough idea of which characters were better against others in certain matchups. thats it. For the other 95% of us who play SF, tiers are useless. I used to main Cammy in SFIV, and she is "low tiered" yet i could go out in ranked matches and beat plenty of Sagats and Ryus, some were decent, some werent. It didnt prove anything other then i beat that person in that match with my character.