This Game Is Crap

NickMH

I started out thinking, ok, the Werehog parts are super boring and have no place in a Sonic game, but the day stages are cool. But the more I play, the less I like the game. It's simply broken.

Most of the day stages dangle the 2D carrot in front of the player, but comprise of mainly 3rd person sections where one mistake gets you killed.

It's absolutely ridiculous to make an imprecise 3rd person platformer with a very fast character and have entire levels built over bottomless pits or instakill water with little to no side barriers / buffers or second chances to recover. Combined with an erratic homing mechanic and a subpar camera, you get a game with occasional glimpses of greatness, but which is overall pretty bad and very frustrating.

For the life of me, I just can't understand why Sega / Sonic Team insist on doing these "modern Sonic" sections / games. Sonic just doesn't work in full 3rd person 3D, the best you can get is stuff like the Apotos (demo level) Act 2, because they barely have bottomless pits and the level design is good, but I'd still prefer to play the entire level as a side scroller. The added axis of movement doesn't do anything of value to the game. When it works it's ok, when it doesn't (which is most of the time) it's an absolute nightmare.

I love Sonic, I really do, and sometimes the fanbase is just insane (cue Sonic 4 and "oh the shoes are 5% bigger than they should, nerdraaaaage"), but these games are crap - Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed, they're just bad games.

Makes me sad, what with the Sonic Generations demo being awesome. I already know I'm gonna dislike half the game, the modern Sonic sections. They should have just made the entire game a side scroller.

• 3 months later...

I think the whole line of "Werehog gameplay has no place in a Sonic game" as ironic.

The werehog is a platforming style. Sonic is all about platforming. And KTE in Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2 had rudimentry beat'em up style combat that focused on looking around rather than racing around.

If people opened their eyes they'd see the Werehog is the evolution of KTE's gameplay. In fact I hear a lot of people would have liked the Werehog if it was KTE, since a character model is a game breaker apparently.

But the real point is that SEGA decides what has a place in a Sonic game. Not us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To each his own. Despite all the hate for this game, I personally found it to be very enjoyable. The daytime stages were a blast to play and the Hedgehog Engine showed vast improvements in the mechanics from StH06. The Werehog stages added a welcomed change of pace from the day time stages and worked well as its own separate platforming element. The one thing I could have done without is the Werehog Battle Theme, especially considering how good the music is for the night time stages. The game does have its flaws, but to call it "crap" seems excessive.

• 2 weeks later...
-- The game does have its flaws, but to call it "crap" seems excessive.

Excessive? Are you serious? I'd call the game The worst piece of s*** Sonic game I've EVER played. Terrible game. I mean, unless you're 8 years old. That would be a different story. This game is way too shi**y looking, and way too difficult, to be anywhere near concidered a "good" game. Were Sonic? Ridiculous... I bought this game from the marketplace thinking it would be a fun, fairly easy 100%, like the other sonics are. I played for 2 hours, and deleted. TERRIBLE GAME.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Excessive? Are you serious? I'd call the game The worst piece of s*** Sonic game I've EVER played. Terrible game. I mean, unless you're 8 years old. That would be a different story. This game is way too shi**y looking, and way too difficult, to be anywhere near concidered a "good" game. Were Sonic? Ridiculous... I bought this game from the marketplace thinking it would be a fun, fairly easy 100%, like the other sonics are. I played for 2 hours, and deleted. TERRIBLE GAME.

You obviously haven't played a lot of sonic games if you think that. STH,06,and Secret rings are all a lot worse than this game. This game isn't that difficult and even if it was that wouldn't be a negative.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Ive always been a big fan of the orginals, but this game is awful. Please dont put yourself through this game, The Gameplay is bad, the characters are lame(corny dialogue at all times) (Trust Me Its Much better when the characters didnt talk like in the classics) Sonic Seems very immature in this game, im embarassed to even have a sonic action figure on display now after playing this miserable game. Also this game is full of glitches and overall id give it a 3.2 out of 10. Also not to mention the stupid "scene" music at the ending credits it sounded like some lame fall out boy tune. DONT EVEN PLAY THIS FOR Achievements because its pretty hard to even get a few quick ones

You're giving opinions and I'm fine with that, but what are your arguments?

Why was the gameplay bad for example? It was pretty flawless after the sonic games we've seen in the past. Of course that is just my opinion, but the gameplay wasn't that bad was it?

As for the ending tune, it was fitting in the situation. Probably Bentley Jones would have done a better job, but I wouldn't want to hear crush 40 remix that song. No seriously, I absolutely adore Crush 40 but this song just isn't fitting for them.

And I agree on the difficulty on achievements, basically the hotdog missions :p