First impressions?

head0r Inc

Soo.. i just played through the Hero story of the game and wanted to know what you guys think so far of this port?

To me it seems to be a bit easier than back then, somehow I miss the feeling of "speed", maybe the game lost it due to the fact that it got turned into HD (making the view bigger, slowing down the game?).

Anyways.. got quite some A ranks on my first try and was surprised by that, even with Sonic it didn't seem to be too hard.. though, I noticed that I am having some big issues with the controls on the xbox controller. Still not used to it... i literally got my ass handed to me on Crazy Gadget and died like 17 times LOL... it was hilarious. Once he couldn't grab something, then he roll down the edges.. then he wouldnt do the light dash but the bounce into the death and so on and so on...

Moreover, I am really pissed at MS for the Xbox Live issues right now. Those issues seem to be around xbox live for a longer time already as I am not able to sign into xbox.com sometimes, ... and there is no Battle DLC as well...

Anyways.. loving the game.. gonna go for the 500.. shouldn't be too hard as I got 180 emblems already once :)

It's been awesome. Haven't had any issues control or visual wise. Framerate has been full. This was a successful remake. Been through the whole story mode and then took a break.

To me, it feels just the same as before. I didn't feel like the "speed" to the game was taken away at all, maybe you are playing it on a bigger TV than you remember? Or you aren't remembering correctly?

Definitely am going to attempt full gamerscore on this. SA2 was one of my favorite games of all time!:D

Did you play the Dreamcast version originally, or the GameCube? The XBLA version is based off the GC version, which is a little slower than the DC version. Its not a significant speed drop (unlike the DX version of Sonic Adventure, which is much slower than the original. Naturally, the XBLA version had to be based on the DX version :/)

So far I'm really enjoying the improved HD titles. I've only gotten to play about 20 minutes though but its good feelings, waves of nostalgia all over the super cheesey mouthing for the dialogue (not to mention the actual cheesey dialogue)

I've only beat two levels but i'm having INSANE camera issues. camera likes to spin around on it's own both in the chao world and in the levels. sonic also likes to fall a little short of enemies sometimes when i use the homing attack, but that could be my fault. no excuse for the camera though. It makes the game almost unplayable imo.

Edited by pravado

I've only beat two levels but i'm having INSANE camera issues. camera likes to spin around on it's own both in the chao world and in the levels. sonic also likes to fall a little short of enemies sometimes when i use the homing attack, but that could be my fault. no excuse for the camera though. It makes the game almost unplayable imo.

I complete agree and it's the biggest thing that frustrates me about this game and actually ruins it for me. Especially for some of the time limit missions (e.g. the 5 minute Rouge mission).

Sonic Adventure DX was pretty bad but this one forces automatic camera angles practically down your throat and in the most unhelpful ways possible. Seriously, i've found myself wrestling for control over the camera (to no avail) and because it's so sudden it's actually thrown me off the level (I believe a jump in Sonic's "Metal Harbor" level or whatever it's called got me a few times.

I know people will fiercely defend the game because of their childhoods and point out that it's an old game but I can't help but feel that some of the level designs or gameplay could have been slightly altered to lessen the frustration and difficulty of an unstable camera.

I mean honestly, I've had problems here and there in games with camera angles, but nothing this severe since sonic 2006. I'd even go so far as to say it's on par with sonic 2006 in terms of horrible camera angles.

The fact that it spins around me 360 degrees while i'm standing still and I have to hold RT to get the camera to stay still is baffling. How did this pass inspection? I was fuming playing knuckles first level

On top of that, the whole beeping thing with the green crystals he has to pick up isn't even working at times. I was right on top of one and it wasn't even flashing.

On top of that, the whole beeping thing with the green crystals he has to pick up isn't even working at times. I was right on top of one and it wasn't even flashing.

Unlike the SA1 radar, this one can only detect one emerald at a time. Even if you can see one or two emeralds in plain site, the radar won't respond to them if they're not the piece it's fixed on.

I mean honestly, I've had problems here and there in games with camera angles, but nothing this severe since sonic 2006. I'd even go so far as to say it's on par with sonic 2006 in terms of horrible camera angles.

The fact that it spins around me 360 degrees while i'm standing still and I have to hold RT to get the camera to stay still is baffling. How did this pass inspection? I was fuming playing knuckles first level

Never had a camera issue once and I have around 50 emblems right now.

the game feels much easier to play ... i think becuase it was the only game to have lived in my dreamcast for years i loved it that much lol

if anything SA:DX and SA:2 feel a lot faster compared to the Sonic The Hedgehog 2006, i dont however miss the glitches and dodgy camera angles, but hey, thats what made this game so unique.

graphically its not THAT enhanced over the DC/GC versions, the rendering is smoother, characters dont look .... edgey? and the cut scenes are miles better quality.

soundtrack, faultless, best OST for a game EVER!

i sincerley hope theres a Sonic Adventure 3 in the pipelines, i know the guys who made Pumpkin Hill and Knuckles' theme song and Roger Craig Smith (Sonic's Voice) are "working" on a new Sonic Project ... a lot of hints and sources have said SA3 ... I HOPE IT IS!

one thing that has annoyed me on SA:2 xbox version is that Chao Karate isn't part of the game as standard!

The fact that it spins around me 360 degrees while i'm standing still and I have to hold RT to get the camera to stay still is baffling. How did this pass inspection? I was fuming playing knuckles first level.

That can be one of 2 things though - possible controller issues and/or the game itself.

This game like certain other ports and older 360 games doesn't have any "sensitivity(?)" when it comes to the sticks (in this case - camera control on the right stick). For example, the right stick on my controller has a habit of moving slightly on its own in other games - in this game it causes the camera to constantly spin rapidly to the left when it's in a certain position.

On the other hand there are times where it does have some wierd seemingly inexplicable issues in general though (there were roughly half a dozen times where the camera became stuck outside the actual level meaning I couldn't even see a thing or the camera would become "confused" and just wouldn't sit still while trying to constantly adjust.

Edited by Kahn13

• 4 weeks later...