Wolfenstein: The New Order

Anyone else with eye strain?

Ok so this is weird I know but I've got barely an hr into this game because it's causing severe eye strain for me. I've never had this happen in a game before and I'm 34 and been gaming since nes. Am I the only one who's having this issue or is it maybe a 60fps side effect for someone not use to consoles producing 60 fps? Also playing this on 360 and it looks fairly muddy alot of BF3/4 esque texture pop.

consult a doctor?

If im not mistaken im pretty sure every cod runs at 60FPS on previous gen, so if you've played those (lets be honest, who hasnt?) with no issues, i doubt its that.

I dunno I know this hasn't been an issue for me before I just thought it was weird.

I dunno I know this hasn't been an issue for me before I just thought it was weird.

This is kinda off topic, but my buddy went all his life playing video games and one day he pick up Left 4 Dead and it caused him to have a seizure.

I'm not sure what the medical diagnosis was, but he never had history of seizures or nothing ever showed up in his physicals until that game. Now he's on medication for the rest of his life.

Now, im not saying you're an epileptic or anything. I guess I'm just pointing out that certain games can act as "trigger objects" to our unknown health issues.

Edited by i fist brown i

I've got a really bad frontal headache along with some dizziness and possible nausea from this game. I've been playing it A LOT which I'm sure doesn't help, but I've heard this complaint more than once.

Not necessarily with "eye strain", but I think the way your screen shakes when you character runs causes people problems. On PC you can increase your FOV to help combat this, but we don't get that luxury on consoles.

This is kinda off topic, but my buddy went all his life playing video games and one day he pick up Left 4 Dead and it caused him to have a seizure.

I'm not sure what the medical diagnosis was, but he never had history of seizures or nothing ever showed up in his physicals until that game. Now he's on medication for the rest of his life.

Stop it! Now you're scaring me!! :p I have yet to have any of these experiences and hope I never will. When virtual reality headsets come along, that might be another story.

I've got a really bad frontal headache along with some dizziness and possible nausea from this game. I've been playing it A LOT which I'm sure doesn't help, but I've heard this complaint more than once.

Not necessarily with "eye strain", but I think the way your screen shakes when you character runs causes people problems. On PC you can increase your FOV to help combat this, but we don't get that luxury on consoles.

Yeah this is definitely into headache bounds now. Feels like I've had my contacts in for a week too. Just a really weird feeling i never got from a game before thankfully no nausea.

Stop it! Now you're scaring me!! :p I have yet to have any of these experiences and hope I never will. When virtual reality headsets come along, that might be another story.

It's not like he's a vegetable or anything. He's the exact same person, just with a history of seizures.

But, like maka said, it could be the shaky camera effect. Playing Killzone ShadowFall gave me headaches because of this. That, and because that game was piss poor.

Well hopefully with enough playing time we all get past the eye strain, headache etc. I'm taking 45 minute chunks and walking around lol it's ridiculous but it helps, I think my brain is also trying to render many of the horrible textures in the game.

You can count me in on the eye strain too. I never thought it could be the game until I saw this thread.

Started yesterday afternoon and progressively got worse. Now this morning my right eye is all blood shot and burning hot and my left eye just hurts.

Hopefully it is just coincidence.

I have to admit, for the first hr playing it, I couldn't get used to the wobbling screen when running. It made me feel kinda dizzy at first. Took me a while for my eyes to adjust. But after a couple hours it seemed to ease off as I got used to it. Strange this is happening to so many people.

Edited by Sgt Hartman 87

I have to admit, for the first hr playing it, I couldn't get used to the wobbling screen when running. It made me feel kinda dizzy at first. Took me a while for my eyes to adjust. But after a couple hours it seemed to ease off as I got used to it. Strange this is happening to so many people.

I had the same problem. The first hour or so felt really uncomfortable. But, played for another three hours or so and everything was fine. I thought my eyes were just readjusting to the TV since I hadn't played anything on it in awhile.

Sucks that it is making people sick. Seems like a great game so far.

I had the same problem. The first hour or so felt really uncomfortable. But, played for another three hours or so and everything was fine. I thought my eyes were just readjusting to the TV since I hadn't played anything on it in awhile.

Sucks that it is making people sick. Seems like a great game so far.

Yeah same, I hadn't played anything for a couple of weeks before I got wolfenstein. Once the feeling went after an hour or so I thought nothing of it. Definitely sucks people are getting it but worse.

It doesn't give me a headache. But it's definitely not a comfortable game to play long sessions of. I actually think it's down to the game engine, Rage was the same and they both use the same engine. There's just something a little jarring about the way the visuals are displayed. At. Guess I'd say it's the Megatexture pop-in delay and 60fps not playing well together.

I have no idea what could be causing you guys to strain your eyes. I completed both the One and 360 versions of Wolfenstein The New Order and never once had eye strain or a headache. On both completions I played for at least 8-10 hours straight with contacts in. I also play on a 55 inch LED TV. So my guess would be that possibly your TVs could be to blame ... ? I just can't guess at what else it could be ... seems really weird multiple people are having eye strains. Maybe you guys are playing in dark rooms or sitting too close?

I felt like I was starting to get some of this within 15/20 minutes of starting the game due to the heavy shaking when your character sprints. I found that a little further on I wasn't getting any issues any longer. I think my eyes adjusted to it quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I plan on buying this game tomorrow, and I just had to have glasses this week due to focus degeneration in my eyes. Mostly the right eye. So now I've read this I am dreading it. I can only play Guacamelee for an hour max at a time, due to the bright colours etc. But that's the only game I have issues with regarding my eyes. Still gonna try Wolfenstein, as I've heard good things about it. Should be ok, as I sit 10 feet away and have a 42 inch LED screen.