I hated the first. Worth buying?

KyKy

I hated the first Assassin's Creed. I found it really boring and repetitive so I gave up. I have read several reviews/critics say that this game shouldn't be judged by the first and is significantly better. So is this really the case? How so?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main character has much more personality then Altair did, you also get to see his motivations and him becoming an assassin which adds to that. The combat is improved and the repetitive pickpocket/eavesdrop/brawl stuff is gone and replaced with more unique stuff.

On top of that, the story and graphics are improved as well, with some great twists thrown in especially near the end. Overall it's a much better game and definitely worth getting over the first, though you might want to read a wiki article on the first games plot and perhaps watch a couple end game videos to get caught up on the story.

The basic concept of stalking your opponent and killing them is still the same, but the overall gameplay is so much better. Theres no fetching a million and two flags, just 50 feathers scattered about. There's a whole economy system, smoother fights, and generally it is simply better executed. No assassination is the same.

The plotline is a very well written, with twists and turns and Ezio (the main character) has so much more depth than Altair did. Plenty of sidequests too if you want to take a break from the plot as well.

This game isn't a rent like Assassin's Creed was. Number two is so much better, and you will enjoy it by far.

The basic concept of stalking your opponent and killing them is still the same, but the overall gameplay is so much better. Theres no fetching a million and two flags, just 50 feathers scattered about. There's a whole economy system, smoother fights, and generally it is simply better executed. No assassination is the same.

The plotline is a very well written, with twists and turns and Ezio (the main character) has so much more depth than Altair did. Plenty of sidequests too if you want to take a break from the plot as well.

This game isn't a rent like Assassin's Creed was. Number two is so much better, and you will enjoy it by far.

Can't agree more. Besides AC2 has ranked top among many critics as well.

I particularly enjoyed those sidequest assassination contracts. There are a lot of them in AC2 and all of them are different. I remember very well there was one that required me to kill 10 heavy-armoured guards, in 60s. This mission really requires skills as well as luck. I had to replay no less than 10 times to get the feeling but I was so happy when I cleared it, very rewarding.

I was in the same position as you. I liked the first one for about 5 minutes until I realized I'd be doing the same thing over and over again. Then I despised the game completely. For the longest time I was on the fence about getting the second one and then gamestop had it on sale for $30 so I went for it. Seriously, it's one of the best games I've played. I'm super glad I gave it a chance even though I hated the first one. You should definitely get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with the above. The concept is the same, obviously, but the execution is far improved. There's a paced story, character development beyond your general expectations and a load of side-quests.

This game has a lot to offer and considering nowadays you can pick up the GOTY edition for £20, it's a great addition to any games collection.